Dual booting please

Hi All. Can anyone provide clear instructions on how to dual boot Elive with Windows 10?

Hallo David welcome to the forum, the place for questions, jokes, rants, food recipes or general Howtos.

On a first you will need to state what version of Elive you're referring to: Stable, Beta/alpha ?

Exactly what is unclear to you about dual booting Windows10?

In references to the versions: Stable (3.0.6) does not support secure-boot/UEFI so that could be a showstopper for you (I personally don't know, WinXP was the last version I ever had :w00t: ) but the Beta versions do have signed kernels.

2 Likes

As a short answer, you only need to boot Elive, resize your hard disk to shrink your windows partition (let's say half of the disk), this is better to do from windows directly too, then run the installer and create the partition structures to install it

I just downloaded stable and intend to dual boot on an old Toshiba (2009) that’s running a dual core AMD A4.
I think the original poster might have wanted to know if the tools required for the dual boot were included in the install package, or if we need to chase them down. I’m pretty sure we can muddle through if we have everything at hand.
Pete

Hello. So i recently migrated my ssd to my better desktop pc. I converted it to gpt and ran elive upgrade. At that point, i was able to boot linux only. I reinstalled Windows too, and i was able to boot only Windows at this point (ofc). Usually i run a program called "easybcd" from which i can add other boot voices, like elive in this case. In a uefi system i cannot use it due to Microsoft annoying stuff (my god how much i miss legacy bios). So i tried to reinstall grub in several ways. Even re-running elive upgrade. Also using a bootable ubuntu usb and running boot-repair. Nothing. I tried every tutorial i found on internet, i either get Windows to boot but not linux, or (rarely when repairing grub without using elive-upgrade) i get linux to boot, or i get Windows to boot on a partition and a grub installation on a different one that just gives me a basic shell console.

So, i spent a day trying to get this to work under uefi mode (i swear i hate the new uefi bioses, when using legacy ones everything worked great. Also here using legacy mode i was able to make everything run correctly in a blink, the problem is now trying to get everything run well without avoiding uefi mode). Do you have any serious tutorial that could tell me what to do without needing to wipe out everything again/spending another day/ getting the same frigging result?

Sometimes on some machines you hit F12 and get boot options and it offers different options (for uefi)
that includes Windows as well as Elive (or other linux).

It's there in the firmware ..... or it was.
High chance you messed up with all your re-installs, though.

You forgot the 1st rule if things go wrong:

Don't panic, sit down and think.

1 Like

Actually uefi does not use grub, it uses a small FAT partition on your disk.

See this thread:

and

1 Like

@david_ryno You just need to not choose automated partitioning and need to have windows already installed. Then: you resize windows partition and elive (more specifically grub) does the rest for you.

UEFI is a delicated thing, Elive can be installed using the EFI bootable things and works accordingly with windows and other OS's (tested on one of my machines), but at the same time it doesn't works on another machine that I have (so I needed to switch that machine to Legacy Bios mode in order to make both working), in other words, the best way is to play and try every option, one option may work better than another for you, but like always, the troublemaking is caused by windows