E16 light theme

Correct, plural.
Or:
'Gaming' (?)

Save as .png would even be better when the filesize gets shrinked....

Added the configuration of the menus in the github repo under fancy-menus.
They are of course based on my own menus, which might have some entries yours don't.
In that case they'll be missing an icon. :grimacing:

If you want to test just clone (or download the .zip and extract) and run the "install.sh" in the "fancy-menus" directory. Read the ReadMe for more.

https://github.com/triantares/Elive-GTK-theme-light/tree/master/fancy-menus

2 Likes

Sweet.
Looks like a grown up DE meanwhile, not like one of those "Breeze" crab stuff anymore
and seems that all missed icons are back, mhm ? =
:madness:
:nod:
:rofl2:

Yeah, apparently e16 menu cannot handle .svg icons so I replaced those with .xpm ones.

1 Like

Tks !
I installed it ( "fancy-menus" )

Working great and look better

Yeah, but somehow it all gets lost if you chose to "restart your desktop configurations" from the settings menu.
Not sure exactly what command that is (maybe some weird skel stuff) but it recreates everything back to the default options including the removal of all personal stuff like backgrounds, settings themes, icons, the whole shebang.
Ultimately the "light" stuff will need to be installed in /usr/share/ or generated by Elive but I haven't found (yet) where @Thanatermesis keeps all that hidden.

1 Like

Updated the theme file on my home server to the same version as on github (that's where the latest version will be found) with a shorter name.
http://triantares.ddns.net/Elive/Elive-GTK-light.zip
Which includes the fancy menus.
I've found out how it should work to get a double space between the icons and the menu text by editing "textclasses.cfg" but that's very inconsistent when there's a longer line of text so ........
for now I'm sticking to the "fancy-menus" way of doing this.
This is what it looks like when doing it from the theme itself :nauseated_face:

Shitty-menu

2 Likes

Nice, I'll try it tomorrow, I like a lot your personalisation of Cairo dock and the first version of your light theme, now with new menu styles is quite good. Only in my 15" screen Cairo dock seems a little big, I'll try it also in my 10" screen to see if ratio is conserved.

I get that impression too about the ratio, Waiting for your experiences.
You can set the icon size yourself, if you want to. I've got a 2560x1140 screen on a 13" laptop so that's quite small ....and very sharp.

1 Like

So your eyes are better than mines....

Testing in my 10" laptop ASAP, I'll inform you about the ratio and how it looks there

No they're not. I actually needed a magnifying glass to check some of the icons in the menus. :grimacing:
I've set it to 2048x1152 to be easy on my eyes at night.

Mmmmm interesting I'd never think to try different resolution that they as by default... Maybe another one even if smaller would be better for my eyes because my arms aren't not long enough to read my phone so why not? ... Another chose to test...

2 Likes

any screenshots of the recent/last changes? :slight_smile:

No not really had any changes the last few weeks.....too busy.

Dark theme (actually) uses a white (adwaita) gtk theme by default, why? because simply looks better and userfriendly, the dark one is a bit harder to follow on the eyes, doesnt looks like to be so well integrated

(im talking of course about the gtk only, not e16 theme)

maybe we need a differnt gtk "dark" theme than the "adwaita dark", but i have tried some and didn't found it..

my question is:

if we use a boot-time menu to select between dark / white look, does the dark one (called darkone :rofl2:) should use a dark gtk theme? or we should stick at the "white" gtk theme because looks better?

I would vote for the second option :thinking:

So do I. Dark theme is hard enough on the eyes, especially on small screens.

There's, always the option to alter the menus in gtk-light theme to dark too. It's a minor change.
On top: Cairo-dock is a GTK affair so it makes sense to use the same in general.

So i installed the light GTK+ theme, and I enabled it.

Now, when I left click the desktop, all it shows is "elive menu" and nothing else, and when I right click it says"settings menu".

Any help is appreciated. Fortunately I can use cairo-dock applications menu to launch programs

Update: I think im on the latest version I ran elive-upgrader --upgrade in terminal yesterday.

Yes, this is a strange bug in light-gtk.
The "problem" is that on some installs it runs fine whereas on others it doesn't. :cry:

I still haven't found out why it does that ...... so for now: Don't use it.
Sorry.

In fact the menus are there, they just don't show.
So if you want out, i.e any other theme:

"right-click" on your desktop, which'll show "settings", then arrow down twice andarrow right to show "themes" and arrow down twice (onle once choses GTK-light" again) and hit Enter.

This is what the menu looks like if it works:

Elive_Screenshot_2020-03-10_17:09:04__468x402

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! This saved me plenty of time :slight_smile: