E16: New feature: Dynamically configured font sizes

No, I haven't but you're right --- I should look if there's anything comparable around and get pointers from that. :nod:

Anyway "apug" reinstalled E16 so my mods (in /usr/share/e16) were back to what they were before...so I can start off fresh again.
:dance:
Found it in the first one (23ozglass) there's a PAGER_LEFT in borderstyles.... and in Detroit a PAGER_RIGHT option.
And "winter" has them all and they work, even "autoshade" is interesting. :madness:

i did a few test in live mode (using persistence is easy to "always have the last build", so it updates the packages and the booted iso in persistence will have the last updates), and before there was a strange problem where the fonts were double-big (too much, more than 2mm, very annoying look), but in the last updates seems like all looks correctly for me now :thinking: I still need to betatest in the very-small screen laptop

To be clear I'm using "retrowave" theme here on my default desktop. there's subtle (well sometimes not even that) differences in the theming here and there.

What is the default anyway, "elive-dark" ??? :thinking:

New user "elive' with 2560x1440 res. starting up.
It's a shambles .... too many different font sizes!

This is what startup looks like i.e even worse:

Where first impression is soooooo important.
I'm worried this is a "fix it till it breaks" scenario. :frowning_face:

1 Like

yes, but i updated retrowave too, since is almost the same code

mmh that doesn't looks very correct, they looks very small, right? :thinking:

btw you need to "apir terminology" because the new version is not installed (same version number), including the change of the font size from 12 to 10

maybe is not working good, -yet-

your second screenshot looks to have good sized fonts (more or less 2 mm), but looks to me very big as a widget first-impression (if this is the case, it didn't happened to me again in my last test but it happened before)

Exactly , too big. The caps are nearly 4mm.
It's the first widgets that shows when a new user logs in for a first time.
Terminology isn't the only one with still small fonts, so is the launcher menu pop up.

It took me a good amount of time to fine tune it and bugfix and make it behave correctly... but I think that now its just perfect :slight_smile:

the version 3.8.19 includes all the auto sized things set up and should be the correct sizes for all, automatically, of course we could prefer a bit smaller or bigger but -that- should be the correct size for all and all the desktops:

2 Likes

Well I recently did an upgrade of Ubuntu18.04 to Elive 3.8.18 on an old Thinkpad X260 (mentioned in another thread) and was initially shocked on how bad fonts looked on first boot, i.e unreadable:

or way too big:

Luckily the 2nd reboot sorted that out by itself but it wouldn't be a nice experience for a first time user. :shocked:
So anything that remedies that is quite welcome. :nod:

Yeah all those issues has been fixed, I didn’t tried a recent upgrade but should work perfectly as same the version 3.8.19

I just booted a very old installation ... then upgraded it. After that, I restarted the configs for cairo dock and the terminal using elive-skel (which is NOT friendly at all to me ... will try once the system has fully upgraded but it talks about e17 and also doesn't have that many options). Then I used the menu system to "restart desktop configurations" (missing from elive-skel). That's it.

I can't see the terminal text anymore; it's too small.

Reboot didn't fix this.

Try running "apug" and see if that clears up what you need.
As a workaround for the small fonts, run that from a VT ..... i.e Ctrl, Alt & F2 keys.
Those fonts will be usable. :nod:

BTW there's also an Elive-dark with big fonts theme available.

Yeah ... an apug followed by another desktop reconfiguration worked. :slight_smile:

Yep, it's messy. :eyepopping:

now, this is the thread for the improved tool (not only auto, but allow manual configuration of this feature)

Not a 100% sure how you see this. :thinking:

Are you suggesting we make an E16 GUI tool to do font resizing manually (including optionally resizing the title_bar) or a Howto?

the last versions has by default the font sizes configured dynamically (just like with other elements like your mouse pointer), this has been improved a few times after a few betatests and now should work pretty good (see 3.8.19 for example)

so basically, we have this by default (auto) good now, but hte user should be able to (re)configure it manually too :slight_smile: so thats the small tool we need for it

So in E16 that would actually only boil down to having a dynamically sized title bar ..... i.e have it grow or shrink with the font size used.
That should be do-able considering it's all plain text files :thinking:

the auto feature basically changes the dpi settings, which makes all the fonts look bigger or smaller (with a few other small features), so no need to change these conf files, in fact, to change them they must be not in /usr otherwise will be overwriten in a package upgrade

but i suggest to try the recent builds to see the actual results and how it looks like

OK, but that still leaves a mess with the title bar.
Same title bar but with big fonts:

As you can see it's totally cramped.

1 Like

yeah, but as said in other thread, thats a limitation of e16 which doesn't adapts to scaling, the only solution is to modify the theme, but that cannot be done on /usr because it will be overwriten, the only solution if we want it statically for the user is to have a copy of the theme to the user's home and to change the values, but again is not possible because this depends on the images (which has static sizes), so not worth to invest the effort on that (the only solution, is to make a specific theme which will look good on screens with high dpi but will not in normal ones)

Yeah, that's the best solution .... and indeed install those in ~/.e16 so the user always has rw access.

Like in my howto ..... all user modifications should be set in ~/.e16/

I know, I know, it goes against your control-freakish nature. :mwahaha: