E24 on Elive Beta 3.8.14 crashing regularily with multiple tabs in Firefox

E24 on 3.8.14 is crashing regularly with multiple tabs in Firefox especially when playing YouTube videos. Problem seems to occur even when the computer is idling, i.e no activity on the already opened tabs.

Would that be "only" with FF or do other browsers or programs do the same?

I have been having some resets requiring F1, now and then but nothing regular. :thinking:
This, in my case often happens espcially when using Bluegriffon (WYSIWYG html-editor)

For now I have been using only firefox and the DE seems to crash only when FF is running not when other applications are running , i uninstalled all the other browsers . Let me try google chrome and give feedback

1 Like

After 2 days using google chrome , the crashes still occur but much more rarely, I also noticed that Firefox crashes only occur when I am downloading youtube videos, a feature which seems to be blocked in chrome. Unfortunately for me now the crashes have borked my wifi connection link too. I am posting through my phone. Will open the topic on a new thread

I think the crashes are solved with the latest enlightenment sources.

1 Like

We on Elive, if you keep your system up to date -- are always on the "latest" versions i.e those on github. :1up:
So we'll find out soon enough.

2 Likes

These crashes appear to be lib issue as it reports lib crashes. Is that true for you?

Sure seem to be lib issues but also temperature related , teh fan was whirring like crazy and problem occurs when computor is overloaded playing youtube videos while downloading something else. Stangely crashes also occured more readily at idle with only firefox loaded but doing nothing.

A small snippet of my e-crashdump below

Thread 7 (Thread 0x7faa164cf700 (LWP 9455)):
#0 0x00007faa30f00037 in select () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
#1 0x0000560791ec89c4 in e_powersave_sleeper_sleep ()
#2 0x00007faa1650e9b9 in () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/enlightenment/modules/temperature/linux-gnu-x86_64-0.24.1/module.so
#3 0x00007faa31b99a9c in () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libecore.so.1
#4 0x00007faa31c844e0 in () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libeina.so.1
#5 0x00007faa30fd9fa3 in start_thread () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0
#6 0x00007faa30f084cf in clone () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6

That sounds like your computer is so overloaded it can't handle keeping everything open.

Try dropping the quality a notch, e.g. from 1080p to 720p. This way your computer might be able to handle the load a bit better.

Surprised Chrom* does better than firefox here, firefox has a much smaller footprint :thinking: :thinking:

Not able to do a direct comparison between the two fully loaded, because chrome seems to have some restrictions on handling youtube videos , I was never able to play a youtube video while downloading another in the background. So there is that

Try instead of downloading the video through firefox, use youtube-dl

Yes its command line but simple as youtube-dl <url>

Strange that you say that. The firefox addon that I use to download the youtube videos seems to reference youtube-dl when downloading . But anyway i will try it without the added third party

related to temperature? hum.. try to unload the module, BTW I have seen in the next version of E code that there's a big rewrite in the temperature emodule if im not wrong!

In any case, all the issues with E should be reported so that they will fix them and we will have a more stable E future desktop :slight_smile: - @triantares i dont remember, do we have already a howto / faq thread for it detailing the steps and important things to know ? :thinking:

Yes we do, --sort of-- but it's gotten a bit stale ...... maybe a rewrite or a new is in order. :thinking: