Elive builds on Bullseye: first isos

For my company I was searching for a little movie creator. I remembered the Elive promotion video from @Thanatermesis, made with cinelerra-gg ... And I've seen this nice block on their website:

Sad it is not in the official Debian (bullseye) repo (you know, company policies and so on). But it is a great way to make Elive publish.
The project is such small, it could insert programs/features, that 'the big ones' don't.

For everyone who missed or forgot the video: Persistence features promoting

1 Like

Elive on a Pi might be an excellent fit. The Pi is attractive for lots of reasons but most distros are too heavy for it (e.g. Pop OS) - Elive could actually have a chance of making that hardware usable - if so: world domination. But I get that it is a huge ask right now...

Frankly I gave the RPi as an option because it gets used a lot in computer classes.
Other than that, I doubt that there's a real market for general computing for a Pi where most get used either as a media server or as a standalone web-server.
The first is well served by the Kodi team and the latter already has an excellent Elive server version available through:

The scripts there are all no-arch requiring only a Debian based install to migrate from.

Fair enough - but it makes me wonder - if there is no merit in the idea, why did System76 go to the bother? Anyway...it was just a thought - trying to find that niche...

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: What defines a modern desktop?

I have updated the ISO build on bullseye which includes many fixes & improvements found these days, also has the hard work on english corrections (and their equivalent translations to all other languages) made by @triantares & @TheTechRobo , the Nvidia issue found by @PrinceAMD so now nvidia should install a bigger amount of cases, and many other small fixups that i don't remember now :slight_smile:

I have also updated the iso especially for @arcnations which needed it to make a youtube review

New (temporal) direct link: https://www.elivecd.org/elive_3.8.27++_beta_hybrid_amd64.iso

Update: nvidia still not working, @PrinceAMD betatested it, seems like our own /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ created file is not compatible on bullseye, a solution is to install 'nvidia-xconfig' and run that command... so bad I don't have a nvidia card to betatest this more fast in order to solve it

1 Like

And let's not forget @Emil who actually initiated this flurry of activity with his comments. :1up:

1 Like

Update: nvidia still not working, see previous post

That explains why my graphical system got screwed up. I thought I messed the upgrade up...

You could try getting a GT 710, it's not fast but you can pop it into your computer whenever you need to test. A 1GB card you can get for $89 Canadian dollars, probably cheaper if you get it used. (I know you don't get many donations as it is, but Nvidia cards are pretty important to have working, since most people use them)

installed system? i don't think is related (no changes on that), in any case i will do another build with nvidia working today

nah... the thing is that I'm living in Colombia now (since before pandemic) and my computers are in spain, so I'm only working with a laptop (now with a half-working mac gifted for tests), life here is cheaper than in Europe, but i don't think i will be here the next year :thinking:

but Nvidia cards are pretty important to have working, since most people use them

yes it is, that's why i want always to have them working, there's also a special boot option in the isos called "simulate=nvidia" on which makes a kind of simulation that you have the hardware, to test the installation of the driver (but of course no real hardware == cannot check if X correctly works with it), on the other hand thanks to tools like eliveremote @PrinceAMD offered me remote access to do the multiple betatests and now will be better working on the next iso

so bad nvidia didn't worked correctly for so long :thinking: i don't even understand how people had it working on all the versions after the stable one :thinking:

You clearly have no idea how expensive Europe has become.
Prepare yourself for a 3x price hike when you're back. :shocked:

:fearful:

Here in Colombia food is almost doubled, but seems like I should not even move from here... omg
What a crazy world we are living today's, everyday more crazy and nonsense

And there's the review by @arcnations :slight_smile:

Hmmm, I've got some comments/thoughts for Elive here.

1. @arcnations has a relatively small following, we need to find others too ..... especially those with more followers. i.e: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheLinuxExperiment (I bet there's more channels) has 100x more followers. Then again, maybe we should save the big channels for Retro anouncement.
  2. The pager is moved to an area that's blocked by 'cairo-dock', luckily it isn't touched anymore. :scream_cat:
  3. As @arcnation moves from theme to theme the iconified app turns into a horrific big question mark, we should fix that.
  4. To be clear 'chromium' isn't the same as 'google chrome', far from it.
  5. It should have been mentioned that 'Retro' is the up and coming release. Sort of get rumors going and expectations up. Maybe with some previews or mock-ups. :smile_cat:
  6. I still say that every release we do has to be instantly recognizable through it's specific default wallpaper.....otherwise it'll just be more of the same-old, same-old. Visuals matter immensely.
  7. Personally I'm happy with @arcnations calling the appearance "old one" whilst hovering over 'cairo-dock' ..... maybe it wasn't meant to mean that but I still think it's the 'cairo-dock' that especially degrades Elive/E16 to "old fashioned". I've said it before: "Ditch cairo-dock for something that doesn't take over the desktop!" :nauseated_face:

next build has pagers & cairo-dock improvements about that
it also includes many many fixes I have seen these days

that's an e16 "issue", or not really an issue, e16 reloads and that cached image is cleared out, i dont think is too important but feel free to comment / report it on phab

what about the wallpapers switcher feature? it becomes useless then? (it shows all the available wallpapers)

I'm thinking in a different approach.. like changing the wallpaper in the boot process of the live mode instead, that will avoid the feeling of "no changes"

UPDATE: I'm brainstorming the idea of the wallpaper and having some ideas that will not break the switcher and the preselected ones, will try that for next releases... (notes taken)

Third build on bullseye: https://www.elivecd.org/elive_3.8.27+_beta_hybrid_amd64.iso , just published, includes many many fixes and improvements after to do a good amount of tests in different computers these days

Hi,
Thanks for the info. Just downloaded that iso and will try it out and look at the translations for sure.

Time pass fast, 2 months passed since the public release of the (buster) version 3.8.27 was published

To not let more time pass, I'm going to release in ~2 days the new 3.8.28 builds based on Bullseye, so people can start using bullseye and we have some more activity on the distro

2 Likes

At least give it a new "look" by changing the wallpaper in the announcements on the website, mail and distrowatch.... on 3.8.28 will prolly already be too late knowing you. :scream_cat:

Most websites that write about distros tend to simply copy/paste the delivered screenshots. that way it'll at least garner a few looks extra and some more interest.

3 Likes

good point, noted, thanks for remember me the wallpaper thing as next feature