Elive builds on Bullseye: first isos

No, no, no!!

People need to know about Elive in the first place to even be able to find the website ... that's a catch 22. :frowning_face:

Yeah, somewhere before the world drowns due to climate change ..... Not realistic!
You are selling Elive (and yourself) short..... it's not a matter of having the Enlightenment desktop as a GUI, it's about using EFL to achieve just that goal.

Soooo! ......... don't be a 'don quichote' and aim for all the stuff all the others do (lost battle anyway) but find a proper audience for the things you're really good in.
Elive is very good (if not the best) at delivering top notch performance on very low specs hardware with almost everything a modern computer is expected to do..... so flaunt that!

I'm very serious .... the majority of the world lives in south-America,, Africa or Eurasia ... let's go there.

1 Like

I'm confused :thinking: people cannot know elive before to find the website :thinking:, so basically:

SEO, articles, reviews, etc (curiosity)... --> leads to elive website (discover, know how good is, want to download, etc) --> leads to downloads (try, donate, use, etc)

sorry, i cannot go faster, too many work and many topics at the same time

that's a good one, noted for the next website contents I have put them actually it in a Testimonial entry on the homepage, will need to use that for the future website changes, structuring correctly the information / contents and picking what / where to put them is not an easy thing

I have lived in a few places in south-american and unfortunately I can say people don't even know what linux is, it is more known & used in Europe or USA, even if they would benefit more than anyone else they just never heard about something called leenoux, I think a good strategy will be to make a research of all the schools in south-america to get their email addresses in order to spam email them with info about what is elive and how it can benefit their school, users, and computers :thinking: @triantares @TheTechRobo

I wasn't referring to you but to the Enlightenment development in general, sorry if that wasn't clear.

That's not a bad idea but maybe we need to take it up a notch and see if there's any interest in it by NGOs and such.
We'd need some low specs boxes (like my old Acer) installed and running as a proof of concept and some ready made flashdisks available for that.
This requires some thinking. :thinking:

As to the testimonial, change that to:

Elive is by far the best OS, delivering top notch performance on very low specs hardware, including all the software a modern computer is expected to have.

yeah, that's why i said recently that we must start playing with E so to start reporting issues / things needed to fix so that we can have a working and stable updated E base for when the development will start (otherwise we will need to wait months/years until we have it ready)

the other day i was playing with E25 and it was quite good, but I found some glitches that needed to be fixed :thinking:

well, the school idea is especially promotion of the OS, to make it worldwide generically more known, ngo's too

yeah, low spec boxes are good for betatesting :slight_smile:

We should consider having a Raspberry Pi version too. :innocent:
Depending whether we're aiming for computer classes or not.

Another thing might also be in having (tailor made for schooling) persistent USB flashdrives available. That way, every student can have his/her own computer where there's not enough hardware available to go round.
All in all that's the cheapest solution in all situations

no more work please ! lol

yeah can be good, i don't have the hardware, but in any of the case is important to prioritize (first we need other priorities finished before add another task to the :work:

yes but first is needed to know if there's an enough interest on that (first let's see if a good amount of schools starts using elive), i had an idea to make a version for kiosk mode too (those one-boot systems with volatile user data per session), for cyber-coffes, hostels, etc... but since they don't know about elive nor even linux, is not worth to made it "for nothing", so first is needed to see that there's a demand of X feature

Raspberry Pis are like $35 for a 2GB RAM version.

• If you're ever at a loose end I suggest trying one. :smiley:

I'd love Elive on an RPi.

Cf. RaspberryPi* (ARM-based) version of Elive, HOW?

Offtopic but how do you change what program X boots into?

For my company I was searching for a little movie creator. I remembered the Elive promotion video from @Thanatermesis, made with cinelerra-gg ... And I've seen this nice block on their website:

Sad it is not in the official Debian (bullseye) repo (you know, company policies and so on). But it is a great way to make Elive publish.
The project is such small, it could insert programs/features, that 'the big ones' don't.

For everyone who missed or forgot the video: Persistence features promoting

1 Like

Elive on a Pi might be an excellent fit. The Pi is attractive for lots of reasons but most distros are too heavy for it (e.g. Pop OS) - Elive could actually have a chance of making that hardware usable - if so: world domination. But I get that it is a huge ask right now...

Frankly I gave the RPi as an option because it gets used a lot in computer classes.
Other than that, I doubt that there's a real market for general computing for a Pi where most get used either as a media server or as a standalone web-server.
The first is well served by the Kodi team and the latter already has an excellent Elive server version available through:

The scripts there are all no-arch requiring only a Debian based install to migrate from.

Fair enough - but it makes me wonder - if there is no merit in the idea, why did System76 go to the bother? Anyway...it was just a thought - trying to find that niche...

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: What defines a modern desktop?

I have updated the ISO build on bullseye which includes many fixes & improvements found these days, also has the hard work on english corrections (and their equivalent translations to all other languages) made by @triantares & @TheTechRobo , the Nvidia issue found by @PrinceAMD so now nvidia should install a bigger amount of cases, and many other small fixups that i don't remember now :slight_smile:

I have also updated the iso especially for @arcnations which needed it to make a youtube review

New (temporal) direct link: https://www.elivecd.org/elive_3.8.27++_beta_hybrid_amd64.iso

Update: nvidia still not working, @PrinceAMD betatested it, seems like our own /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ created file is not compatible on bullseye, a solution is to install 'nvidia-xconfig' and run that command... so bad I don't have a nvidia card to betatest this more fast in order to solve it

1 Like

And let's not forget @Emil who actually initiated this flurry of activity with his comments. :1up:

1 Like

Update: nvidia still not working, see previous post

That explains why my graphical system got screwed up. I thought I messed the upgrade up...

You could try getting a GT 710, it's not fast but you can pop it into your computer whenever you need to test. A 1GB card you can get for $89 Canadian dollars, probably cheaper if you get it used. (I know you don't get many donations as it is, but Nvidia cards are pretty important to have working, since most people use them)

installed system? i don't think is related (no changes on that), in any case i will do another build with nvidia working today

nah... the thing is that I'm living in Colombia now (since before pandemic) and my computers are in spain, so I'm only working with a laptop (now with a half-working mac gifted for tests), life here is cheaper than in Europe, but i don't think i will be here the next year :thinking:

but Nvidia cards are pretty important to have working, since most people use them

yes it is, that's why i want always to have them working, there's also a special boot option in the isos called "simulate=nvidia" on which makes a kind of simulation that you have the hardware, to test the installation of the driver (but of course no real hardware == cannot check if X correctly works with it), on the other hand thanks to tools like eliveremote @PrinceAMD offered me remote access to do the multiple betatests and now will be better working on the next iso

so bad nvidia didn't worked correctly for so long :thinking: i don't even understand how people had it working on all the versions after the stable one :thinking:

You clearly have no idea how expensive Europe has become.
Prepare yourself for a 3x price hike when you're back. :shocked:

:fearful:

Here in Colombia food is almost doubled, but seems like I should not even move from here... omg
What a crazy world we are living today's, everyday more crazy and nonsense

And there's the review by @arcnations :slight_smile: