Entrance login manager

UPDATE: Entrance issues are not directly related (ATM) with the Elive system itself, but is good to keep it updated and fixed for the future, so i moved the last posts of the other thread to this one specifically for entrance issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

They only grey-out if one sets the autologin from the /etc/entrance/entrance.conf file. :thinking:

Using the autologin from the"preferences" -- "user configurater" panel allows access to all the system options including shutdown/reboot in E23. :shocked:

maybe this should be reported to entrance?

@triantares confirmed, autologin in entrance makes those "system" options to be grayed out, this means that the autologin is starting in a different mode than the normal mode and it lacks some privileges / options, for compatibility they shoudl use the same login system... can you report the issue with autologin to entrance ?

Will do, although this opens the question whether it's an entrance or enlightenment issue. :thinking:
...... there's more. like setting a "user" as remembered not working and not getting .edj files to work as a personalized background (.png works but OTH .jpg does not)

well, every bug should be reported :slight_smile:

it should be an entrance issue and not E issue, because it works on a way but not in another (of entrance), and lightdm works by default too

1 Like

I had another issue in entrance tests: it makes entrance to always restart (like every minute or a similar time), same if you are logged in E, the cause is entrance receiving signal 15 (something like a restart requested, aparently by systemd), im trying to improve the .service file and seems like it is not restarting now... updated packages are now available :slight_smile:

works correctly with and without plymouth now

You mean this restarting is responsible for the not quiting of plymouth ?

mmh not sure, something from systemd in any case seems to have been the cause, in any case, new version should include many improvements from the .service file:

apr --purge entrance
apir entrance

Doing that and booting into entrance shows me the same personalized entrance wallpaper I had set earlier --- so much for purge. :thinking:
Then editing /etc/entrance/entrance.conf to autologin into E23 (Enlightenment) and ...

OK, this works....also with autologin enabled albeit that suspend/hibernate/reboot/power Off in E23 are still greyed out.
Logging out and opting to reboot (bottom left) from entrance takes a very, very long time.
Then rebooting with autologin choice to E16, boots into E16 but then opting for reboot only logs me out to entrance....which this time has lost the wallpaper.

Logging into E16 again from there leaves me with a disappeared cairo-dock. :thinking:
Logging out and opting for reboot again takes a veryy, very long time with only an indication of LSB scripts in and eventually reboots into E16.

Cairo-dock is there again and opting for restart there gives an error message that "logind" requires interactive authentification.

note that this can cause more than one problems, since user is starting with different (less) privileges

reported: Missing privileges, for system actions, without consolekit ยท Issue #45 ยท Obsidian-StudiosInc/entrance ยท GitHub

this sounds like an issue with the .service file or something similar, or just with your system, more specifically: with "staying processes". Make sure to close / kill all your apt tasks, background tools, etc... before to perform reboots. It worked fast the reboot for me in my tests on vbox with it

then, this sounds like the same privileges issue (and you mention autologin), since reboot is not allowed but e16 exits from itself, you are back to entrance

uh, that's confusing lol, I assume you can run it when you run it from a terminal. Does all the other startup applications are run?

logind? mmh... did you played with sysvinit or similar? :thinking: im wondering if you have some extra packages installed that may conflict in your normal boot procedure :thinking:

No, it's my upgraded (to 3.8.9 a few days ago) machine.
Going back to lightdm solves all problems.

Actually only doing this because you had issues with first boot and wanted to find a way to reproduce it.
I never use autologin, I think it's stupid on a laptop.

Done.

LOL: Discourse is confused af:

1 Like

April 2021, We are at 2024 already, time pass so fast...

More betatesting with entrance is appreciated, just like patches for improve / fix it (in case of), entrance is much more limited than lightdm but graphically is a preference for Elive

Lightdm advantages:

• using the "user-switch" feature of Elive, so you can have multiple users running graphical sessions
  • remote connecting (xdmcp), allowing you to "login graphically into your machine remotely", VNC is also supported
  • correct running of init scripts and other xdg / xsession startup things (which is not really betatested in entrance)
  • guest user featured
  • autologin settings
  • many tuneable configurations
  • virtual keyboard featured, and preconfigured (autodetected) in elive
  • gtk theme & matches

note that most of these features are already automated / implemented in elive, this is also a remember that if we switch to entrance we will miss most of these features that is very good to have

For betatesting Entrance, just "apui entrance" and it should work