How to have Persistence with the UEFI featured ISO image

If you are using 3.7.14 or a previous version you would need to update a small package before to enable persistence

Open a terminal and run:

apui deliver

Then just run the helper tool:

persistence-live-helper

That's all! Your USB will have a partition added for Persistence and with encryption to secure your data!

Next, just reboot and start using it:

Now you are ready to travel the world with only USB sticks instead of a computer and work from anywhere.
Depending on the intended usage, be aware to use a large enough USB drive as the Elive OS will take up about 3.5 Gb of space.

:furrydance: :happy_dance: :cheerleader: :happy_dance: :furrydance:

3 Likes

@triantares updated howto, much simpler huh? :slight_smile:

now im uploading a new release with everything included...

btw there's almost no fixes / improvements needed to do from 3.7.14 ! it was a very stable and everythingworking release :applause:

I haven't found any glaring faults/bugs in the releases themselves for quite a while now ...... So I would think it's high time to go 3.8.0 Beta and start refining stuff. :happybounce:

I doubt we'll make 4.0.0 before Xmas but we might try to keep that as a schedule i.e to have some sort of goal.

N.B.

Maybe add to the HowTo that one is restricted to the amount of space left over on the device after 3.5Gb is used by the OS ....... so to use a large enough flashdrive if the intention is to keep a lot of downloaded data.

Done that. :happy:

I have been on this since I downloaded it and installed it,I am having a good time thanks folks

3 Likes

Sincerely, the only reason to not release this version like a Stable release, is because of the desktop

as said before, the only needed thing is the desktop :slight_smile:

As a goal, well yeah, we can start with this: BUG hunting Enlightenment (E24+)

the tool already reports all the needed data (not sure about the -size- itself, but i think that it notify's if there's not a minimal amount on it), like USB speeds, which is very important for the correctly persistence work

Yeah, but it is nice to warn a new user on how big his flashdrive should be for the tasks he/she wants to do. :wine_glass:

This is something very relative! one user can be happy and enough with only 1 gb, other will need 32, or others could need 64 for all its "work" data (or more!)

I updated the min free size to 1,4 GB (if not, user is notified with suggestion)

I am "only" refering to the last sentence I added in the HowTo ..... where a minimum size is named. Not the pop-ups or installer, :wine_glass:

Mmmh, well yeah, but is not very important since this already does it all the tool itself, in the guided mode creating it.

BTW the howto's section have the threads set as wiki-based posts which are more like collaborative / editable

No, then it is too late if your flashdisk is too small ....... only irritation stays. It has to be in the docs too.

no, everything on its correct place, there's no doc for creating a persistence, only this small howto for those who had a previous version that didn't included it, and also people don't read docs,

the persistence creation for those who wants it is just auto and guided, it should be done on the tool itself

• if you boot in persistence mode and your usb has not persistence, the guided tool asks you if you want to enable persistence, then asks for password, checks the speeds, etc etc

You definitely need to (re)read "The joy of Ux"

It' s a fairly short read. :wink:

but remember the best UX is simply the one which doesn't requires manuals :slight_smile:

Nonono !

That is a programmers/designers perspective ........ you definitely did NOT read the book.

Read It !! I mean it .... it can be done in less than an hour, it is not breathtaking or hard.

Your solutions are always "reactionary" aka reacting to user actions.... whereas making things clear beforehand might avoid the actions in the first place.

I would also like to bring into remembrance:

• The stupid, hard to change language choice based on IP recognition, it should be simpler to change. (read the book, it's used as an example)
  • The offering of adding a boot/uefi partition after the partitioner is done and cannot be undone other than starting all over.
  • Offering "crossgrading" 32 to 64 bit for 3.0.x stable where there is no e17 available afterwards and never was an e16 option, without educating the user.
  • Totally replacing the ~/.e16 directory on every upgrade without thinking of backgrounds or personal changes/choices a user might have made.

I am very aware how hard those points are to incorporate into code but do not call it good Ux by adding more code and making the user feel stupid. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

on desktop start, it always ask which language you want to use, + the extra that a detected one is set by default (this is simply better than not having it)

so again: on desktop start, it always ask which language to use, its not hard to change, its the best way :thinking: (suggestions welcome)

this has been improved, and I don't think that there's an earlier way to tell it (if user chooses auto part, its not needed to ask for it), the installer just continues asking what is required "now a /boot, now an EFI", etc..

ok that's true, but is already well documented, in the moment of download it says clearly in big letters that we are using e16 as a temporary desktop

I just seen this upgrading my machines, but then I looked at the installer and found that in fact this does not happen (only if you are installing from a version lower than 3.7.5, which of course these updates has been needed for the earlier alpha versions on which the new settings has been improved over the versions) <--- working on that bug, which doesn't seems to work

by other side I just improved now the upgrader tool to not remove e16 wallpapers when e16 is upgrade

e16 stuff: - fixed -

you know what?

there was a nice feature all over the installer which depending of your previous of elive installed (if was an enough up-to-date-for-that-conf-specifically), it didn't touched some of the configurations to upgrade

it never worked, the value was wrongly get

but is fixed now, so there's some configurations like cairo-dock or e16 that wont be touched anymore in our upgrades (unless if there's a change that requires it)

1 Like

I'm not talking about the booted Desktop, I'm talking about the initial grub boot menu.
When the Desktop boots and I get Indonesian or Finnish questions about anything, including default languages ........ I'm lost, curse Elive, reboot and enter "country=uk"in grub-edit. Not Ux to be sure. :shocked:

Yeah, but not telling them what the harrowing consequences might be and that they're beloved previous Desktop will be totally gone or unusable.
I haven't tried it lately but the cached Lightdm even tried to boot into e17 which created a whopping mess.

That's a good thing ...... a nice feature would also be to have the cairo-dock theme and a specific background connected to Dark or Light e16 theme .... but that again might introduce quite a few bugs. :crystal_ball:

The code looks correct (it always ask to change the language in english sentences), can you show me a screenshot?

this just an optional and useful tip, not a requirement, and it also makes the system being able to include -any- language (of a specific country) in their system when the user has no internet (otherwise, country is detected and sub-languages are generated). I don't know what is wrong by having this message as a tip shown in the menu :thinking:

Mmmh, I don't think that users are stupid, I mean:

• they are told that E16 is used before to download
  • they boots the Live system and sees the E16 desktop
  • if they are going to install, they will sure know what they are going to install (they are already seeing the different desktop before to install)

I remember this issue, it was not already fixed? :thinking:

I am actually talking about Indonesian which has a flag vaguely similar (as an icon) to the US and just hitting OK to get on. Why it's often the top default choice, I have no idea.

Because it's a dev (non-Ux) solution to a problem that shouldn't be there. There should be a Change Language option there, otherwise default to English as the Grub-boot menu is already in English..

From "The joy of UX"

No, they will not remember when the installer offers to crossgrade, keeping all their user/desktop settings....they will (rightly) expect to find their old Desktop back. It's not stupidity, it's being put on the wrong foot.

The same goes for telling users to keep apps in "etc/elive/system/packages/packages-to-hold" but not telling that they only work for standard repo ones. Something almost all beta-testers have already stumbled on.

I'm not sure to understand, are you refering to this?

I know that Elive Gem / Topaz included a feature where you select the language before to boot the menu (and later othe distro's copied the same thing), but actually is not possible (or i don't know how to do this) since we are using syslinux, that feature requires grub-gfx

But the thing is: what is the difference of selecting your language in Grub or in Desktop-start? there's no difference in fact

I read it and still not understand where is the problem, in fact elive does it better because it features BOTH of your "UX post" options:

• it autodetects (good at 96% of cases)
  • it forces users to select language before to do anything

if we talk about changing the actual behaviour, we are talking about "remove a feature", because there's no way to add more lol

I'm still convinced that the users knows what they are doing, but in any case, what you suggest?