Installing Bullseye over Buster on Elive Beta

Thanks for the info, I didn't check the date !
I found a solution. I deleted my ~/.asoundrc and launched alsamixer.
I selected my sound card and exited alsamixer. But I couldn't save my setting with " alsactl store" since alsactl is in sbin and needs root permission. So I "sudo -i" and selected my card with alsamixer, exited and save the settings with "alsactl store" . By default alsactl save in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state .
You can then copy the file to your home in .asoundrc and take the ownership of the file.
Then I stopped pulseaudio : pulseaudio -k
and restarted it : pulseaudio --start -D

I now have sound but the cairo-dock sound applet was not showing it. I killed cairo-dock and restarted it and now the applet show my sound correctly.

All is OK now! And I will enjoy a fresh new Elive E16 with more recent stuff from bullseye.

Thank you! :+1:

The .asoundrc is overwritten at each logon and alsa sound is not restored.
I have write protected the .asoundrc file and
added "pulseaudio --start -D" in the ".e16/startup-applications.list".
That seems to fix it for the moment.

Regards,
Bernard

[quote="PerfMonk, post:20, topic:3034"]
That seems to fix it for the moment.
[/quote

I don't have to jump through these hoops at all to keep my sound working, strange.

Anyway it's proof enough that the sound configuration is the problem not the drivers or the firmware. :smiley:
Now to get that 'debhelper' issue ,out out of the way ....

• why is it even installed in the first place? It's a package to help build debian packages from source code. :thinking:

I have no idea. I don't remember installing it.

Happy to inform that i updated my elive installation too, but replaced the debian stuff pointing to Devuan stuff. More specifically following your guide and then also this guide here Devuan GNU+Linux Free Operating System

I did start however by updating the kernel from 5.04 to 5.10 first and then when that worked out i changed the repos and did the migration. So far everything seems to work after one and half a gig of updated packages. Probably better to update kernel further now.

1 Like

Yes, I kind of had the impression too that that did facilitate things. :smiley:

I'll add that in the HowTo methinks.

Does the Devuan guide differ much from the guide here on the forum in your opinion i.e does it need updating or correcting?

@triantares reading the rest of the convo:

• I updated your howto with a few changes (you can see them in the edit button), like pulseaudio not able to be killed without using that command
  • can you update the howto to remove not-needed things ? (like the bindings.cfg configuration, setvolume in bullseye is updated now with the fix)
  • @PerfMonk has a few improvements too that can be updated on the Howto upgrade Elive Beta from Buster to Bullseye - #2 (or can you @PerfMonk edit the howto to improve it?), like the pre-upgrade install

ah! that was the cause! :applause: the problem is that the elive tool "audio-configurator" creates this file for compatibility with ALSA :thinking:, ok let me solve that... done

so, @PerfMonk do an "apug" on your bullseye and try the last updated combo in the end of the howto Howto upgrade Elive Beta from Buster to Bullseye , this should solve your audio cards among reboots

1 Like

I take it you mean the external copy of the Howto ..... Yes, I will in due time (i.e tomorrow.)

Done!

Note-to-self:
Maybe I should script that!

the guide at Devuan is good and simple, but since i've done the migration to Devuan last year following your guide i just needed the few bits from the beginning this time. Replaced the repos and then apt update, upgrade, reboot, dist-upgrade. Keys were already correct ones too.

1 Like

There is an issue related to the latest kernel regarding Intel chipsets.
The logs get filled with 'DMA read request' faults due to IOMMU being enabled.

To remedy this, it's necessary to turn off 'intel_iommu' in the boot kernel parameters.

This can be done in the ''/etc/default/grub' as root on the line containing:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=

and adding 'intel_iommu=off' to the kernel options there.

After which 'sudo update-grub' is needed to write out the changes....and a reboot to check if it all works.

NOTE:

I consider this a kernel issue and not a necessarily a Buster->Bullseye thingy .... so I'm not adding it to the HowTo for now.

Another Note:

Check out the Howto (at the end) for a 'warning'

noobie question
I read this thread and :

I want to also try the most recent debian to see if my SoundCard would work ( new Lenovo Yoga Laptop) For now : TouchPad ok, TOuchScreen ok, but not the soundcard ( Lenovo YOGA C640-13IML )

What exactly and where (which source files) I need to replace Buster with Bullseye ?

OK I found it... now trying :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am ready to test your new ISO LOL

SoundCard does not work. NOt sure I did the bullseye modification the right way

ok trying this : Howto upgrade Elive Beta from Buster to Bullseye

ok, AM now using bullseye

Still no sound... Any ideas what I could try ?

LOST SOME SHORTCUTS in the process : change WorkSpace etc Will read the thread again..

I tried to google the chip online and only found windows 10 support.
do you have a kernel log?

First try 'inxi -S' to see what is configured.

It should have snd_hda_intel as driver IMO

Ummm, can I bother you with your own post?

1 Like

LOL LOL sound working
Tks

1 Like

the only thing left missing from what i know is the ability to Pinch / enlarge etc a window on my touchscreen,

Example most Linux distro I tried on that laptop, Brave was allowing me to enlarge or reduce the browser window...

Will google a bit :wink:

And the fan seems to be spinning more than with Mint, Arch (Garuda) or Deepin... Probably some configs but out of the box, the other distro did a good job for my fan