Laptop Left Click button on touchpad not functioning after "apug" update

Wow long topic, i didn't read it fully of course :slight_smile:

Can be related also to the "settings used" for elive, i have seen in the past that some settings conflicts with the driver behaviour

so basically:

• try to disable the touchpad-configurator startup application, so that these settings are not run:

scite ~/.e16/startup-applications.list

• if the settings has been the cause, try to load them one to one to see which one is the conflicting oe with your hardware

~ ❯❯❯ cat .config/elive/elive-tools/el_config/%%usr%%bin%%touchpad-configurator_conf.sh

well, that's the conf file for the tool, but you can try to change all the confs directly from the GUI, or just do that, to see which one breaks the behaviour (and then delete the file so that will be created a new one with the defaults after)

No, you didn't need to. About 2/3 of the thread is me asking and getting info .... no solution yet.

A point is that this all about E24 and that doesn't run TP-configurator or syndaemon.

• On a sidenote: E16 loses the TP/syndaemon settings on suspend/sleep i.e the syndaemon isn't running anymore and has to be restarted.
    On a short suspend it stays intact but after a long period it's gone.
    You should check on that. :thinking:
    In time I'll make that into a new thread, if need be.

probably E24 is setting its own confiruation, but you can try this command to load the elive settings after E24 has been loaded:

touchpad-configurator --load

but in E24 can give some issue, i don't remember now something i have seen recently, like a lagged desktop or similar for the "ignore touchpad while keyboard typing" related settings

mmh yeah so E24 has its own way to configure the touchpad, you should use the E24 touchpad configurator itself instead :thinking: and if there's a feature missing or not included, then it should be reported to the E guys so its an E specific issue

fixed! :slight_smile: upgrade your hebernate package and try it, should work after your next suspension

1 Like

I don't really like it. It's very basic. I seriously prefer the Elive one.

I tried the command "touchpad-configurator --load", with no luck.

The first button click is intermittent in E24.2

I think we might have to downgrade to E24.1 to fix this issue.

has there been a report sent to the enlightenment developers yet?

I use a Dell XPS L502X notebook or laptop.

1 Like

Nope, not by me as I cannot reproduce your issue.
My touchpad works 100% on E24.2

I've only got Thinkpads (and the Pinebook64) and all their touchpads all work fine on Elive and E24.2 (including the PineBook with Bullseye).
On an old Yoga 3.12 I've got Deepin (Buster based too with a 5.4.70 kernel) installed which required me to reload the psmouse module after the last upgrade to get the touchpad working again.

I do have some strange observations regarding the touchpad in E24 and E16 but I'll start that as a separate thread ..... this one is getting too cluttered. :face_with_thermometer:

I attached a external mouse and it worked well on E24.2

So could be a touch pad driver issue?

EDIT: Could it also depend on the configuration of the touch pad that I have no idea about?

EDIT 2. I'm sorta convinced that E24.2 is the issue after inspecting my standard logs. this can be tested if we role back to E24.1

1 Like

My touchpad (On my Dell XPS 15 L502x) works fine with all the other desktops and window managers except for E24.2.

E24.2 has issues with left click on my dell touch pad and I sure its to do with enlightenment e24.2

I think I solved my issue.

All I had to do is place my finger on the touch pad and press the left button with another finger at the same time.... and it works.

So you need constant touch on the touch pad if you want to click with the left button to select anything.

enlightenment appears to be configured that way.

I hope it will be fixed as it sucks to have a touch pad button configured like that.

Yes this is a temporary fix for that issue . You eventually get used to it and forget that the left button is partially disabled. Unfortunately it means you have to use two digits to get one mouse click. Whoever thought of that one.

Could it have been an attempt to address the issue of the overactive touchpad (we complained about it earlier) which i remember could auto select your text and then delete everything accidentaly as you are typing?

Its brilliant when you come to think of it. Only problem is that now you need the whole hand just to click

2 Likes

I think that could be a sensitive setting of the touch pad software configuration.