Nvidia Privative Drivers installation

Didn't detect my 1030, even though the tool even showed it at the bottom of the lspci output:

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP108 [GeForce GT 1030] (rev a1)

once I used -f though, worked like a charm! "current" worked.

I've also noticed that E16 is quite laggy while switching desktops, where it wasn't before.

Ctrl-Alt-Left/Right - anyone have the same issue?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Steam will not run becuase it has glXChooseVisual issues on elive 3.8.19. Using Nvidia 460.39 Drivers

interesting... can you confirm me that the Live mode installer works "out of the box" ? so in short:

• you boot a recent beta version of Elive
  • nvidia card is detected and automatically the nvidia-installer tool of elive is run (not manually)
  • the installation finishes successfully (no need to do -f options or other tricks by the user)

not me, we need to investigate the cause of this issue:

• run a recent beta version in Live mode (see if happens)
  • upgrade the live mode and re-login in the desktop (see if happens)
  • do the other things needed to make it happen if didn't :thinking:
  • related to the drivers? (with nvidia, without nvidia, etc...)

_note: the last post was about Steam, so I moved to the other thread: https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/steam-will-not-run-becuase-it-has-glxchoosevisual-issues-on-elive-3-8-19-using-nvidia-460-39-drivers/2751/_

How do I install CUDA in an already-installed system? :thinking:

EDIT: Trying the -x option

Seems like @sprinterdriver has issues installing drivers, apparently because the nouveau driver is not blacklisted before to install nvidia, does anyone else has this problem? I don't have an nvidia machine to test it

let's see:

the issue is that nouveau module is loaded and that's why the nvidia one cannot be used, if you select the nvidia option in the boot menu and press TAB you can read an option that blacklists the nouveau driver (this is needed in order to install nvidia), but I'm reading now on internet that the needed options are different now (why kernel devs always change things? damn...), so, we need to test this:

• boot in live mode
  • select the nvidia option and press TAB to edit the parameters
  • change the blacklist of nouveau to these options: "rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0"
  • boot and see if you can install nvidia drivers now...
    • if worked, try the same thing without the "modeset" one (only the first blacklist option), report me if only with this option works too

so we need to have it fixed correctly for the next iso build, nvidia drivers are very important to have them working

An important bug has been discovered thanks to @PrinceAMD testing the last ISO with E25, where a wrong nvidia driver version was picked, the installer didn't ask you which version you want to install lol, I'm always surprised how is possible we can have so big / important bug for so long lying around

I thought that was intended behaviour and there was a special flag or something to choose.

Updates:

• nvidia installer fixes: had a few bugs (so bad i don't have the hardware here to do betatestings), but thanks to @PrinceAMD which ran eliveremote I was able to do the needed tests, so the next build will have nvidia working for once! lol
  • tesla drivers removed (from iso): by default the "tesla" version of the nvidia drivers were included on the iso, seems like these cards are not for normal desktop but especially for computational power, seems like they don't even have a video output lol, so not worth / needed to include in the isos
    • note that having the packages in the ISO is important because if you need to download these packages on live mode, you'll probably run out of ram, it also allows offline install of drivers, which also will allow to install elive on the computer

There's VERY good news about Nvidia: thanks to my friend Mauro I had access to a computer with Nvidia these days, I was surprised that the installer of the drivers didn't worked for many reasons, it took me a few days to fix them all and do all the betatestings, so now:

• Nvidia drivers installs correctly now
  • Extra packages are installed to run things that requires CUDA or OpenCL, like blender or davinci resolve
  • Optimus cards supported (laptops with hybrid cards that switch between intel or nvidia when required)
    • it is also implemented in a way that the user selects if wants to use it "on demand" or to switch fully to nvidia
  • tested on live, persistence mode, and tested on switching this persistence between computers that has or not the nvidia drivers

Will be helpful if you try to install these drivers (in Live mode and/or installed mode) to see that they correctly works before the release, you can find it in the torrent of the release-candidate for EliveRetro: Elive Retro (Work in Progress) - #52 by Thanatermesis

1 Like

a) has the repos been updated for this?
b) can I rerun this even if I already have nvidia drivers installed?

a) elive depends on the repos so yes, the repos are updated (and yes, they are cached on the iso in order to allow offline working things)

b) yes, you can use the option -u to remove the drivers and the normal options to reinstall them, as many times in your system as you want :slight_smile: so it should work (untested) on installed systems too without issues, but of course having not the boot module "nouveau" loaded otherwise you can't use it, and needs to be installed out of the graphical system too

will be good if you do a full reinstall including the drivers on your machine @TheTechRobo , my friend's nvidia computer only uses windows and so I was not able to test an installation

Ill try but I'm quite busy atm. Might take awhile for me to have time to do that. :confused:

Hello for a bit of joke:

...And..?
...Your friend didn't see how his computer comes to a super- one with Elive???
:thinking: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
Ih!

2 Likes

Keep me updated * if anybody tries the drivers for the installed system (or better: doing a new install, upgrade-mode is fine, which should include the drivers installed), will be good to make sure it works for the release of EliveRetro

When I try running the installer, all I get is:

I: running: modprobe nvidia-current-drm

I cannot sudo nvidia-privative-drivers-installer -u because when I tried the first time my screen went completely black (likely because i forgot to stop lightdm) and now it can no longer rmmod the modules.

Update: It worked running the command twice in a row.

One issue: It seemed to want to install CUDA without my asking. This meant the installation failed twice due to insufficient disk space and I had to remove some packages.

Also, version 470 is the latest you've got? Really? 535 is the latest that Nvidia's website lists. I'm tempted to run Nvidia's official installer. I want to test out Wayland on my system but real Wayland support was only added in 495...

Wouldn't "Ctrl+Alt+F1" (or F2) give you TTY access in that case?
If only to remove the modules and stop lightdm. :thinking:

I ran it in a TTY and the screen died. I didn't try Ctrl-Alt-F2 again, since I wasn't on X in the first place. Maybe I should have tried that, though.

Nah, wouldn't have changed anything ..... only option would be rebooting with Ctrl+Alt+Del

Wouldn't that also mean that lightdm wasn't running or did you jump to the TTY from a running X (F7)?