Persistence do not save some configuration

Many Thanks,,, You are great!!
I want to suggest you some issues to do Elive the best,,, maybe you have its in your mind.
Why Persistent mode do not ask for User and Password when start.... as in the instaled one?
Why Persistent mode do not ask for Password when Elive go to mount a parted drive.... as in the instaled one?
As Persistent area is encrypted.... Can be encrypted the total USB?
I am always looking for security if you lose the USB unit.
Thanks, I will be expecting the new version.

Well, there's not much sense to do this, and it can be more annoying than other thing, let's say "your usb is your usb" and with it, all your data, work, etc... that you can re-use in other persistence sessions, no need of any user in fact if you can just boot it and start working, and having it encrypted its like your password (so stills no need of a username). You can of course add other users and start a new graphical session with them but making too much changes on the system can make it more bottleneck, so we are talking about a layered filesystem and using ram etc.. for these things is better to have it installed on the HD probably

Because as a Live mode that is, the user has full privileges, in the installed system is needed to insert the admin password to have permissions on the system but in live is not needed to insert any password

Mmmh... By other side, it should in fact not ask for any password when mounting a device unless it is an encrypted one, hum...

No, is needed to be able to boot, or in other words: "load the kernel, the tools to unencrypt, then unencrypt", if everything is encrypted this is not possible

By other side it doesn't makes sense to encrypt the full usb, or let me say "need", because the only thing any person can "see" from it is a live system of Elive, without any user change at all, the changes are put in the persistence partition which is encrypted and so, nothing can be seen without password

Nothing to worry at all if is encrypted :slight_smile:

Hi,
Thanks a lot, It was only a suggest from my ignorance in Linux, as I told you before I comes from Windows XP.
You are right and it is all compressible.

@vesteve58 you can download the updated version of Elive Stable 3.0.4 which includes the improvements for persistence :slight_smile: , also for encrypted mode, remember that sessions will start after your first boot in persitence mode (so rebooting after it has been created)

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Module dm-raid45 not found in module.dep error when installation

Topic has been moved to the other report, more specific for that dm-raid45 issue

Let's continue this topic about the persistence features :slight_smile:

@vesteve58 since 3.0.4 can perfectly work with the explained solution, you can try the persistence changes / features until I upload soon the version 3.0.5 without this annoying "stop" mode.

3.0.5 available for download! :cheerleader:

@vesteve58 please try everything directly better from this version instead

:flushed: I was testing all 3.0.4 installed and persistence
I delete all and begins again, I was without communication until now
:+1:

Hi,
I download 3.0.5 (MD5 is correct) and save it in USB with Elive
TESTING BOOTING First Time
From Live and from Persistence:
Boot fine only with this advertisment

I accept and Elive WORKS!! In Live and Persistent
NOW
I boot again and create Persistent mode, all right.
I shutdown and Boot again to test Persistence
Booting all's right until get BLACK SCREEN
I take a video and look frames before black screen and found this in Enlightenment:

Elive_Screenshot_2019-05-03_20%3A34%3A51__635x270
before that.....Black Screen.

As I told you before I was testing the 3.0.4 (with "Alt+Left") and this problem do not happens. In 3.0.4 Once Persistence created in next Boots works very good

Hum, it is strange that this message (ecore) appears now and it didn't with 3.0.3, but if ecore was needed to be disabled to make the desktop work is normal then that the persistence mode doesn't makes it working (there's no a smart way implemented to know when it is needed). But if this worked on 3.0.3 it makes me not much sense of why the ECORE thing has need to be set (this is something very specific to a hardware type, so I assume that you had it working before in the same machine)

Which video card do you have?

lspci | grep VGA

I will do tests tomorrow in my different computers with this version to see if I can reproduce the problem but they didn't happened in my tests yesterday, as I said, if the machine needs the ecore setting is possible that gets black in the next boot (because the desktop is already set and it just try to launch, without having an attempts mode which sets the ecore setting)

Well, at least 3.0.5 seems to be much more stable than the previously updated version 3.0.4, now this thing needs to be fixed, and if im not wrong, the only issue is about ecore & black windows after persistence ? (both should be related to ecore thing)

You can also try it in a different computer, no persistence mode boot and see if you have the ecore warning too

Update: As Im reading another user reports, seems like all his problems has been solved with the version 3.0.5, without mentioning anything related to an ECORE message, so if your specific computer needs to be run with the ecore setting, it should be improved in order to remember it among new desktop starts (thats why you got black screen probably, because not using the needed ecore setting)

Also, a simple way to test what is happening is to boot in "console mode only", then run "startx" (it should give you a black screen, since you are starting the graphical system without the wrapper which try's to configure it in different ways), we will need first to know if you are able to reproduce the black screen on this way :slight_smile:

Then, reboot in the same way and before the startx command run this:

export ECORE_NO_VSYNC=1

And then startx, it should work then without the black screen

This will confirm that -this- computer needs the ecore setting set

Hi,
I look for video card
Elive_Screenshot_2019-05-05_10%3A59%3A30__471x119
All with USB Booting:

• If I remember with 3.0.3 works with the ECORE (window) and Accept it and Elive works!.....Elive+Persistence also works but do not save session.
  • with 3.0.4, in Live Boot & Persistence with help of (Alt+Left) no ECORE (I am not sure now) and works and save the sessions.
  • with 3.0.5, Booting first time in Live mode & Old Computers (ECORE both), Free Drivers (No ECORE) Works!, BUT If I do persistence in USB..... Works only with Live mode & Old Computers (ECORE both) & Free Drivers (no ECORE) but do not work in Live & Old Computer with persistence and going directly to Black window same as other ways to boot now ( SafeMode, Debug, etc...).
    As I can understand the problem is it in the Persistent boot/creation mode and/with screen drivers (ATI) because I do this test ::: Create a new USB with clean 3.0.5.... As booting as "Free drivers" it works, I boot it in Free drivers and when Elive is working, I create the Persistent,,,OK, no problem, created.... OK, Then I close Elive and restart laptop from USB in Persistence mode and do not work, Black screen. If it will store configuration as free drivers maybe it will boot in right way.

I run "Console mode without desktop",,,, begin working and goes to black screen as before.... I type "startx" and nothing happens in black screen....... I reboot and goes to black screen again and type "export ECORE_no_VSYNC=1" ..... "startx"..... and nothing happens!
What I am doing wrong?

Sorry, Im confused :slight_smile:
When the black screen happens ?

Console mode should give you access to the console where you can try things

So, trying startx will run the graphical system (probably with back screen?), then in another reboot run "export ECORE_NO_VSYNC=1" and then startx, or like this:

ECORE_NO_VSYNC=1 startx

And should run the graphical system again, with or without black screen

So, when / where the black screen happens ? we need to see how you can run the graphical system working without black scren (and know the cause)

Hi,
I test it again and again nothings happens.Black screen.:pensive:
I think if you can see in a video will be better.......
How I can send to you a video from my mobile?
Thanks

The easiest and best way is to simply upload it in youtube, in unlisted mode

lt
If the screen is totally black, i.e. no command prompt visible .... You probably are in X on TTY7 and should be able to see error messages on TTY1. To access TTY1: hit "Crtl, Alt and F1" to get there.
Once there you can kill X with "Ctrl and c" and try again. :idea:

Hi,
I do some videos, upload to Youtube and writing here the answer, Forum website do not allow links
"Sorry, you can't include links in your posts."
What can I do?

This is due to an anti-spam setting, try again now