Persistence features promoting

maybe yes, elpanel was too geeky.

however, the mistake was flat out removing it. control panels are praised - can you imagine not having the $PATH environment variable? IMO this is just like that - you need to know where everything is to get everything done.

yes, but sadly the menus have too much stuff in them. it either needs to be better organised into smaller categories or we need a settings ui.

that is another thing, and is no difference than what can show up in elpanel, we need to take the stable version of elive as an example (and yes they can be organized better if they don't)

i should have it somewhere in my old backups (and hopefully being able to compile for a more than 10 years old source code of EFL lol), but that source code doesn't had anything too much special :slight_smile: except a creative geeky futuristic concept

I've showed this to my wife. She is also a acoustitian (active) and Linux user (but Mint).
Because she isn't very deep in computers, she wondered in which cloud the files are stored. Could she access them via her phone? ...

Of course I explained the 'persistence' as 'local files' and no need of network/internet ... But just as a hint, I'll drop this information here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree, elpanel in that form wouldn't add anything to the experience.

I also agree with @TheTechRobo that Elive really misses a proper central settings application.
I myself look that up as a first whenever I try out an unknown distro.

All distro's have a specific DE experience and after that it's only the settings manager that can give an idea on how the distro is thought out.

• I had hoped we could integrate something like it in a "welcome app" (hitting 2 birds with a stone) but somehow that has never taken off, alas.

As to the promotion clip:

My son is becoming a film maker/producer and created some clips commercially as well as artistically....... I could ask him what his thoughts are, albeit I fear his criticism could be quite harsh. :shocked:

what happened to the retro e16 idea?

also, make sure to update my french translations, you know it better than I do and you know first hand the video.

elive-welcome was the idea to centralize that (or to use a welcome window for the first live mode), maybe a bit useless in the end... (do we really need that welcome thingy? hum), by other side, distributing the configurations between that "panel" or the menus is more or less the same (maybe more intuitive from a "panel" ?), but by other side, is much faster / easier to implement from the menus (if you uninstall the configurator / application, it doesn't shows up again, that's not the case for those panels, so they will still appear and thats not good

btw remember we are in beta and that distribution can be not perfect on the menus, we should use the distribution of the ones in the stable version as a reference

finally, yes a panel can be made with the final selection of configurators, and in the same time they will appear from the menus too which are also friendly to access (and users may found it easily because they also find the applications from the same menu, so they will see the configurators), so we will have duplicated configurators (i mean, available from different places), this is a good or bad thing? :thinking: :man_shrugging:t4:

but of course is good to remember that elive is nice offering a "different" and "beautiful experience" that we don't want to lose

api elive-welcome

i think is still working, can be used as an example, its easy to modify the launchers, but the problem (if this is a problem) is that elive should offer something more "nice and unique" like elpanel :thinking:

oh wait, we are going :offtopic: with the settings stuff , maybe we need to move it to a specific thread?

hey im not a pro lol

btw im thinking to upload the project somewhere so that people can play with it or to use as an example of cinelerra

maybe in fact elpanel could look nice in the "e16 retro distro idea", since its a little more geeky concept

1 Like

thanks, and back to the topic:

I just uploaded a newer version, with improved audio quality (noise reduced, etc) and other improvements too like colors, music volume, etc...

this is probably the final version, how it looks like ?

BTW, I was trying the "subtitle editor" in the youtube channel and its pretty friendly and nice! probably subtitle-editor (application) does a very similar job (maybe better if we can use an english one as base and then create translations), what Im thinking now (since the audio is improved) is if we really need to create subtitles :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah, I really like it!

I do still think that we should have subtitles, since I do still find it a bit hard to understand. My fault - I don't hear that accent very often so I'm not used to it.

Agreed, It needs subtitles.
They don't need to be synced but could be like the "Now This" videos ..... i.e a text that is sort of a parallel story/narrative.

+1 for subtitle.
If we want to reach a wide user base, it is very helpful to have subs. And here English is the least important language, because it is spoken.
I don't watch videos very often, but when I watch videos on my mobile without sound and I am reading only the subtitle.

Agreed.
Same here on twitter. I watch "Now This" videos and never even turn on sound .... the subtitles are fine.
So English should be a first i.e it's the world lingua franca, for now.
The English itself isn't even that bad but spoken too quickly .... like reading out loud, one has to articulate dead slow if you want others to follow.
on a side note,
Eventually it'll be Chinese that takes over but that'll be a while in setting itself. :nod:

Subtitles:

I'm quite surprised about the qaulity of the tool by youtube to create subtitles, the best tool i have seen so far, so basically:

• upload a video to youtube
  • wait that it automatically generates the automated substitles (based on voice detection), which is extremely good to use as a pre-made base for the text and the timestamps
  • edit it to improve the wrong autodetections (use the hotkeys to be faster)
  • publish it
  • add the languages that you want
  • edit them, and just select "auto translate", you have now a translated base too

about the translations, they are quite nice (and im not going to spend more time on them :P, the important thing is to get the concept, not the specific words), but I assume I should have simply skipped it because youtube includes also an "auto translate" feature for the subtitles to any language :thinking:

anyways, reload the video and we have subtitles now too :slight_smile: perfect!

Next:

suggestions for the title and the description? (that is just to make people found accidentally the video on youtube searching for similar features), so its important the attracting title and keywords used everywhere

1 Like

Title suggestion:
Persistence feature in Elive Linux - personal computer with a USB!

Try not to go for clickbait, here is an exxageration:

FULL COMPUTER, WITH JUST A USB WITH ELIVE LINUX!!!!!!! AMAZING!!! (4k) (amazing) (epic)

Description:

make sure to add a few tags in the descripiton, like:

#elive #linux #persistence #thistag #thattag

desc content:

This is a USB that, when plugged into your computer, will provide a full operating system with everything you need! Elive Linux 3.8.18.

make sure to add a bit more.

also, you can add even more tags in the youtube studio. they're better since people don't see you as a keyword farmer.

Algorithm (important!), keep in mind for this video and for the future

1. MAKE SURE TO KEEP IT ENGAGING. No boring parts. One of the main algorithm thingies is : The more time a user spends watching a video, the bigger chance the video will be recommended. It doesn't keep track of percentage - a 10 minute video that users watch 80% of will be more likely to be recommended than a 5 minute video that users watch 100% of. Fast-forwards count as loss of time; rewatching a part counts as more time.
  2. USE YOUTUBE ANALYTICS to find out what works and what doesn't.
  3. Likes. Even dislikes will help a video be recommended more, surprisingly. Remember that.
  4. Do not delete hate comments unless they will scare people away. They just boost your channel - the more comments, the more engagement. Respond to them, but don't delete them.
  5. Focus on a few keywords. Don't keyword farm. Five max. In youtube studio I'd say 10 max. And repeat one or two keywords in yout description, video, and title. (YouTUbe checks the audio too for keywords, if the keyword isn't in the audio it's discounted.)
  6. And more. Here's a good article. How the YouTube Algorithm Works: Complete Guide for 2024
1 Like

This is a hint that needs to be taken into account and should at the least be mentioned in the description or title.... "local" NOT "cloud" :nod:

Yes, indeed. The quality is pretty good, lately.

An extreme negative (on purpose) example: https://youtu.be/ccYpEv4APec

It should be checked, even if it is 90% good. See 'which cloud' comment.
It is a normal process. We are all too deep into, to see these kind of questions. Maybe this kind of marketing/tutorial is a way to understand the needs better.

1 Like

Absolut great reediting! Now it is perfect. Authentic, short, much information, nicely presented.

1 Like

All hints added to the video descrition and set it to published now :slight_smile:

this title is technically correct but I search something to attract NEW users (the reason is that who knows what "persistence" means, will not discover anything new from the video)

what I want to do with the title is something attracting like "you never seen a computer so light" or "how to secure your data and travel light", something that stills correct and the people will accidentally found the video on youtube searching for a solution to their problem, or as a result to what they are searching (the title is not impotant -for- elive since the video will be simply embeded on the website )

How about:

Travel light, travel Elive on a Flashdisk.

With a subtitle:

Run on any machine, anywhere keeping your own settings and data persistent, encrypted and safe on USB.

Where "any machine" is not 100% true, taking the different architectures into account but adding "compatible" in that line will prolly scare off a lot of folks, whereas those that know don't need that specific info.

I still think you should subtitle catchphrases like "travel" "light" "easy" "strong encryption" "on usb" "safe" "bitcoins" "Elive" "persistent" and such, when they're used by Tun.

2 Likes