Create unified settings menu

Cotinuing the discussion from Persistence features promoting - #21 by Thanatermesis

I thought you just said everyone hated elpanel.

An absolute first would be to make a list of the functions that need to be highlighted or accessed.

• After which they need to be categorized (thinking different panes or tabs here).

It would quasi be like "kupfer" but dedicated to settings or system apps. "rofi" is actually better 'cause it allows a fuzzy search in the descriptions and is prolly easier to customize.

Which would bring up the GUI or UX decisions, like:

• Overall look ... i.e menu bar or not, transparent or not, frame decorations (elpanel) or not, sound effects or not ...... as much as we want, or don't want.

• which icon set .... flat or 3D, an existing one or our own, which color scheme.

• where to put it .... in the menu, the panel/dock (which one -- I don't like cairo) or the systray

So frankly a "what", "how" and "where"

Starting a list of what I think should be in a settings/config app here as apparently somehow it got a tad silent. :madness:

Hardware:

1. Touchpad configurator
  2. Keyboard layout
  3. Time - zone configurator
  4. Screen configurator
  5. Internet configurator and bluetooth
  6. audio config

System:

1. users conf
  2. software
  3. desktop settings (icons, docks, systray .... anything E16 conf doesn't set)
  4. Elive stuff (as in sub menu and include "donate")
  5. disks (could be in hardware too)
  6. Backup utitlity settings
  7. Power settings (like customizing hebernate, lockscreen,etc.)

Feel free to make additions or mark for removal .... whatever.
Do take into account that this is solely E16 oriented ..... E24 will have to take care of itself, for now.

1 Like

On a side note:
Anyone aiming at customizing E16 ..... do have a look here:
https://themes.effx.us/e16-Documentation.html

It's actually still a work in progress and IMO very well done.
The maker deserves all the kudos he can get ... it's in fact the ONLY proper human readable E16 documentation available. :hot:

1 Like

that's probably the same for e24, heh. binary config files, no maintained themer,...

Have been looking into this, in Rust (would be a great way to learn).

Yeah, probably will start tomorrow :madness: