E16: New feature: Dynamically configured font sizes

the auto feature basically changes the dpi settings, which makes all the fonts look bigger or smaller (with a few other small features), so no need to change these conf files, in fact, to change them they must be not in /usr otherwise will be overwriten in a package upgrade

but i suggest to try the recent builds to see the actual results and how it looks like

OK, but that still leaves a mess with the title bar.
Same title bar but with big fonts:

As you can see it's totally cramped.

1 Like

yeah, but as said in other thread, thats a limitation of e16 which doesn't adapts to scaling, the only solution is to modify the theme, but that cannot be done on /usr because it will be overwriten, the only solution if we want it statically for the user is to have a copy of the theme to the user's home and to change the values, but again is not possible because this depends on the images (which has static sizes), so not worth to invest the effort on that (the only solution, is to make a specific theme which will look good on screens with high dpi but will not in normal ones)

Yeah, that's the best solution .... and indeed install those in ~/.e16 so the user always has rw access.

Like in my howto ..... all user modifications should be set in ~/.e16/

I know, I know, it goes against your control-freakish nature. :mwahaha:

Working on the tool:

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-25 at 11.44.23

The problem of the first version (which looks better), is that we canot read correctly the words on it, they can be read good in the vertical version (but it looks uglier?)

Solution is:

• to use the vertical version
  • to use a number or character (like A, B, C) for these "points", and describe them in the text of the widget (can be more confusing?), like:

what do you think?

Vertical is indeed not the prettiest but definitely the most clear of the lot.

2 Likes

New tool to configure the fonts manually is ready to be betatested! it works good for me, so tell me your feedbacks :slight_smile:

apug
EL_DEBUG=3 elive-scale-desktop

yes, there's an autolauncher in the menus too, and the option --auto included, which is what is used by default in Live mode

@mentions: @triantares @TheTechRobo @Rebel450 @yoda...

UPDATE: chrome / chromium keeps its original size for websites changing its Zoom value (yes, this is a feature), otherwise your websites looks so huge and "brkoen", but if you want to try how it should be, use the --no-chrome option )

Tried it out on my 2250x1440 screen and ended up using a 1.5 scaling (juslt as I do on E24) to get readable and only a slightly cramped titlebar on E16.
Note to self: set titlebar and buttons to 20 pix in Custom-Retro theme :nod:

"recommended" was 1.62 so that's quite good but cramps the titlebar a tad more. :slight_smile:

Here's a video how it looked on my machine:
https://triantares.ddns.net/Elive/Font-resize.m4v

I think it's high time we incorporated all these, scattered around Elive-tools into a single "tools&settings" GUI interface ..... that is if we're serious about publicizing a Retro-snapshot.

New thread, "Elive Tools & Settings" GUI wish list? :thinking:

1 Like

Create unified settings menu ?

Yeah, exactly but then very specifically E16 (Retro).

the only way will be to configure the toolbar to be even smaller by default (i already did it before, so the fonts in the tittlebar are already small... so more?)

how your browser looks like after to run the tool ? (only chrome / chromium supported ATM, not firefox), so it resizes it lower because otherwise it looks to huge, compare it with the --no-chrome option too

You can see in the video ..... I've got FF open all the time.

In my case it's like in E24:
Either I use 2560x1440 and scale it 1.2 - 1.5 times or I drop down a step in resolution to 2048x1152.
where dropping down a step is overall my preferred solution due to indeed FF (or browser in general) appearance.

@triantares I needed to know how looks chromium / chrome on your screen setup :slight_smile: firefox is not supported at the moment in the included configurator (so, the tool changes the zoom value of your chromium to a smaller one to keep a correct visibiliity instead of huge/cropped that happens by default), try also with the --no-chrome option when checking this feature

IMHO the actual result for you will be:

• with --no-chrome option: resulting too huge / cramped, websites should look smaller
  • without the --no-chrome option (default mode): too small ?

so, maybe i need to set up a conf between these two options

Well, I'm only looking at the tool/address-bar as websites themselves can be zoomed and chromium doesn't have an E16 title-bar.
Without the --no-chrome option looks to give best result.
In all cases the tool itself looks awful requiring a manual resize to be useful when set to "your screen". :thinking:

the problem is that everything resizes nicely, except chrome, which looks "too big", so the only solution is to resize-it-down to what should be its original settings

yep, the changes are not related to the titlebar, only the visualized pages (zoom factor on them)

Which should, in fact not be a consideration as a zoom level can be manually set with Ctrl, +/-

I use the terminal or the menu fonts as a way of seeing what the size does to my eyes in a new setting. That's reasonably reliable. :nod:

yeah but this is exactly how it is meant that they should be configured (ok, maybe we should remove that option?) i mean, they are very huge for sure, but it is mean to be this way, also notice that even windows uses exactly the same scaling by default without asking (that so big one, "your screen", which looks horrible), in other words, have you recently installed a windows 10? the screens looks so wasted with that default "your screen" setting...

note that it also says "recommended" in the middle (users should pick this one), so maybe "your screen" should be renamed to something more friendly like "wasted" ?

"your screen" basically means that this is the setting your screen should be configured to have the same result as the common "96 dpi" traditional screens, but of course since then, all the applications and stuff increased the dimensions of the buttons / fonts in order to not be so small, so all the small defaults has actually changed to a big bigger, that's why this option doesn't looks so good in the actual OSes / apps

Same thing just happened to me. Re-installed from ISO of last october on a new USB disk.
The terminal text is so tiny that we only see dots and I couldn't resize it.

After elive-upgrader and one "apug", it came back as before, but reconfiguration of the desktop worked. I can see what I type on terminology now.

Also I was affraid that my encryption keys would not be writable since I'm using a french canadian keyboard and I have a character "@" in my key that is usually not at the same place on a US keyboard. It would help those using other than US keyboard to have a possibility to see what is typed for the encryption key of the disk or have access to a visual keyboard to be sure we type correctly.

I just had mistyped the first time, everything was OK for the keyboard.

Good job I'm back on Elive on a USB disk
(my laptop disk has OpenSUSE Thumbleweed KDE)
but I'm always curious to see and experience other desktops.

Regards,
BT

I thought I had written a Howto on that already but after some searching..... Looks like I didn't. :face_with_thermometer:

I added the link in the Howto https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/resetting-password-using-chroot-on-encrypted-lvm-filesystem so as to make it findable when searching the forum.

In time we could add a specific Howto ourselves if needed.

I mean, who would look for LUKS password changing under "dynamic fonts"? :madness: