Using Elive on my daily driver Lenovo Yoga (as a tablet)

And make sure to write to a file (with i.e .img extension) in the 'of=.......' section and NOT the /dev/sdXX' name but the mounted name in i.e '/media/elive/......' else you'll overwrite the whole backup disk losing everything on it. I speak from experience.:astonished:

tks,,, But I won't go the DD way (Don't know it enough).... Trying something else

OOPs was hoping I could RUN CLONEZILLA as an app, from within ELive LIVE USB stick... TO backup my Yoga SSD on an exteranl USB Drive.. (long story short am looking for some easy to use APP to use within Elive, as I can boot from Elive USB Stick)

What you could do is write Clonezilla to the USB disk again.
You will need to have the .iso image NOT the .zip using the Stable Debian based one:
https://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=stable

Then put in the USB for Clonezilla (do not mount it) while having a terminal open with 'dmesg -w' running.
From there you'll see something like:

That shows you the name of the USB. Kill dmesg with 'Ctrl + c' and type the following command:
Note: This assuming you are in the same directory as where the downloaded Clonezilla iso image and assuming that your USB is /dev/sdb

sudo dd if=clonezilla-live-3.1.0-22-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress

On a sidenote setting i.e 'bs=4M' or 'bs=16M' will speed up writing considerably but might also cause a non-boot issue. So best to be conservative there. :wink:
After which it should boot a UEFI machine.

As I don't have a wacom where I am now, would you also give the output of:
'xsetwacom --list devices'

1 Like

Tks for DD,, I tried without knowing much what I was doing. Got results like :

• no space on the USB Stick so I formatted it
  • used the command with SDB and also SDB1 as your previous command seems to say I was using SDB1
    etc etc

Finally didn't worked much... so I'll simply boot with Elive, COPY MY USER PROFILE /HOME/YODA and not the whole installation... CLonezilla would have been the best but....

1. No space shouldn't be happening
  2. Use the whole disk ..... not adding a partition number as that will fail.So use /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or whatever dmesg told you (it does change depending on what else is there)
  3. It should not be mounted!!
1 Like

~ ❯❯❯ xsetwacom --list devices
Wacom HID 5204 Pen stylus id: 10 type: STYLUS
Wacom HID 5204 Finger touch id: 11 type: TOUCH
Wacom HID 5204 Pen eraser id: 16 type: ERASER

1 Like

[450079.317989] usb-storage 2-6:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[450079.318117] scsi host8: usb-storage 2-6:1.0
[450080.325831] scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access ASolid USB 0000 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[450080.326052] sd 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
[450080.326277] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] 122880001 512-byte logical blocks: (62.9 GB/58.6 GiB)
[450080.326419] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[450080.326421] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
[450080.326557] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[450080.328865] sdb: sdb1
[450080.329667] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

yoda@yoda-PC:~/Downloads$ sudo dd if=clonezilla-live-3.1.0-22-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress
[sudo] password for yoda:
Verification successful
395+0 records in
395+0 records out
414187520 bytes (414 MB, 395 MiB) copied, 15.6068 s, 26.5 MB/s

and if i Remove the USB Stick and put in back in my system, Debian/Deepin ask to format if as there was nothing on it....

OK, try running this script from the terminal with 'bash rotate-Yoda-yoga.sh' (no need to make it executable if you use bash to open it) and there will be changes afterwards.

http://sprunge.us/h7KWr8

And check if your touch and the stylus correctly rotate with it. The eraser isn't defined yet)
If things get weird you can recall the command with the 'arrow up' key and 'Enter'. It should rotate 90 degrees everytime.

it works LOL A bit awkward (was just used to do it faster and automatically) but it Works perfectly

I run it, wait a few seconds and the screen flip/rorate

I run it again and it comes back to normal

TKS !! It's ok don't spend more time on it

I don't use a stylus but my finger but oops ok will test more...

ok tested it works

Tks

Now the question arise if you need/want a virtual keyboard .... considering that the hardware keyboard isn't available?

There's 2 ways to do that:
Have it run when the script turns or ...... you start 'onboard' from the utility menu category. After closing it, it will go into the 'systray' where it can be clicked if wanted.

There is another thing I need to ask (actually 2):

• Did the screen resolution (actually the dpi) stay the same after rotating?
  • Did 'cairo-dock' find it's proper place again?

If all works well ..... you can rename the script and put it in a place like '~/.local/bin/Yoga-rotate' and now you do need to make it executable with 'sudo a+x ~/.local/bin/Yoga-rotate' and connect it to a key of choice using 'e16keyedit' from the 'preferences' category.

I don't know about the Yoga but my Helix2 had a little switch on the corner that, In Windows locked the rotation. I reset that one to rotate the screen manually.

your questions about the keyboard is funny, When I flip the screen the keyboard is disabled

I had to find the right sequence of opening/flipping the screen enough so the keyboard works, for me to run the script again ( that is why I said akward lol)

As I don't use it that often in Tablet mode, I am perfectly ok exactly like it is.... Will use Onboard (Online keyboard) As for DPI / Cairo I will get back to you, presently backing up my Home Folder / don't want to touch it.

TKS !

Yes, I know that's a hardware feature actually. It will work again if you flip the screen back up.
Hence me asking. :innocent:

1 Like

OK Let's get serious now LOL

I am presently installing Elive Retrowave on my Daily Driver Laptop, a C640-13IML Lenovo Yoga

Expect me to be a pain in the ass during the next few weeks (I don't remember how to do this, this doesn't work can it be fixed, etc etc etc)

LOL
Yoda
Will try to learn by myself, fix stuff myself but when I am bout to throw the Laptop through the window, I will come here before (we just changed our house windows !! )

Just put the laptop on the window sil in the upper floor. Then slowly put a finger on it and gently push it to the edge whilst muttering: "Now work you bugger, or die!"
You'll be surprised. :madness:

1 Like

Tried that in the past with one of my son... Didn't endup well....

1 Like

I am trying to understand what I am doing wrong with nordvpn

~ ❯❯❯ nordvpn log~ ❯❯❯ nordvpn login 130
Whoops! Permission denied accessing /run/nordvpn/nordvpnd.sock.
Run 'usermod -aG nordvpn $USER' to fix this issue and log out of OS afterwards for this to take an effect.
~ ❯❯❯ 'usermod -aG nordvpn $USER' 1
zsh: command not found: usermod -aG nordvpn $USER
~ ❯❯❯ usermod -aG nordvpn $USER' 127
zsh: command not found: usermod
in 130
Whoops! Permission denied accessing /run/nordvpn/nordvpnd.sock.
Run 'usermod -aG nordvpn $USER' to fix this issue and log out of OS afterwards for this to take an effect.
~ ❯❯❯ 'usermod -aG nordvpn $USER' 1
zsh: command not found: usermod -aG nordvpn $USER
~ ❯❯❯ usermod -aG nordvpn $USER' 127
zsh: command not found: usermod
~ ❯❯❯

For usermod I guess this is the solution
Users are reporting issues with the 'usermod' command not working on Debian 10. The command is located in /sbin, which is not included in the standard search PATH . To use 'usermod' on Debian 10, users can follow these steps: 1. Enable su-mode: su 2. Install sudo by running apt-get install sudo -y 3. Play around with users and permissions 4. Edit the etc/groups file to add a user to the sudoers group 5. Run 'usermod -aG name' to add the user to the sudoers group 6. Run 'apt-get usermod' -> package not found 7. Run'man usermod' to get the manpage of the usermod tool 8. Edit the etc/groups file to add the user to the sudoers group 9. Run 'usermod -aG name' to add the user to the sudoers group 10.0