Video editing on Elive Linux Beta

I was thinking that kdenline didn't required so much k* packages (from my memory), but after to verify it... yeah it depends on a good amount :rofl2:

well, you can still perfectly use it (if you wish to), by other side I tried many video editors and the best ones (which also means: stable, usable, useful, featured, not-slow, etf) are already included in elive, unless i missed some new ones or updated on them :slight_smile:

flowblade was promosing btw, but you must install a newer version than the one included in the actual beta versions (there's already a topic about it if im not wrong)

my personal preference has always been cinelerra (cin, is now the new fork which is aparently better), which btw has been just updated on the repos :slight_smile:

oh, and I found on their downloads page a section saying "distros including cinelerra-gg", bodhi was listed and not elive (wut?) so I have opened them a bug report explaining my WTF feeling about that :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/bugtracker/view.php?id=453

as strategy of making elive knwon everywhere , we should do things like this all the time we have the opportunity :slight_smile: @Rebel450 @triantares @yoda @TheTechRobo @stoppy98...

2 Likes

Nvm i've just gotten used to either the keyboard shortcuts (e.g. s for selection tool, r for razor etc) or the menubar, i hate the icons too white AND the text-only option is ugly

Kdenlive is

• Stable
  • Usable
  • Featured
  • Not slow (except for the preview feature which is a bit laggy on a pentium 4 and 2gb ram)

tho the latest version is 20.04 and the repo one is 19.04. i started compiling it but never finished :neutral_face: can you upgrade the repo one? thx :slight_smile:

Why do you always compare bodhi to elive?! we know we're better than them, we're enlightened! :wink:

EDIT:
How were you so nice in that report?! I'd be screaming!!!

i dont think so, in elive i can only update things that has no dependencies or minimal dependencies, but kdenline depends on many k* packages

no im not comparing, im just saying that it is listed on bodhi but not in elive (btw i see bodhi mentioned everywhere), and that list only includes bodhi and avlinux, but avlinux is a multimedia based distro (if im not wrong) so its very normal / expected that it mentions it

years of experience in errors, probably :rofl2:

1 Like

I'm also surprised you're having issues with openshot. Sure the latest appimages (i.e. 2.5.0 and later) crash immediately when dragging to the timeline, but the latest repo version (2.4.3) works fine. The preview works fine albeit a little laggier than kdenlive but haven't tested rendering to a file (exporting). So AFAICT openshot works fine. :man_shrugging:

(I gave up on kdenlive, it's kde, looks like :poop:, and is complicated as [CENSORED] :madness:)

one of the most powerfull non linear video editing tool I know is AviSnth.
It is a scripting language which with you can do whaever you want and has a huge set of filters.
It is a Windows program and can be run with Wine.

There is an effort to port it on Linux : AviSynth+.

note that there is no gui afaik. But it is very powerful.

NB I've been involved in the development of an old version of Avisynth which run on Linux, but this version has been abandoned. Avisynth+ should be considered

2 Likes

I might sometime try to add a gui with bevy or something ... but NO PROMISES. :madness:

Hi!

What could be some "+" vs Blender3D or OSM studio for Avisynth?

Ih!

A + would be that Blender comes builtin with Elive but .......
an absolute - is that apparently the latest version (as shipped with Elive) doesn't work with i.e "openshot". It depends on what Avisynth uses but I suspect the same as Openshot.

It requires a (Blender) downgrade. :slightly_frowning_face:

AppImages are available, tho it is an extra 130mb used.