Website of Elive, updates and changes

The system is being fucked over 'cause it is a system ....... that's a lost battle, face it.

The real "problem" is that other (corporate) systems find our system below par. Welcome to digital (medieval-like) servitude.

Sorry I'm in a real foul, black mood today. :angry:

yes, spambots are a real problem and after all this saturating work done, the issue is -still- not solved, next thing to try: "do not include the form in the html, but generate it from JS or popup it from a button, in order to avoid bots finding the forms in the page"

now, the biggest biggest issue is... how to remove all the collected "fake emails" in the databases? I can process the existing filters made (already doing this since weeks) but stills, many emails are "real ones" (in other words: unsolicited email added, so real emails inserted by spambots), so its not possible to detect them since they are real... the only possibility is:

• to send a future "confirmation required" email asking the people to re-confirm their news subscription, in a way like "sometimes we need to cleanup our database of emails, if you still interested in elive, confirm your subscription", but of course, the bad-side of this is that we will lose A LOT of subscribers by doing that.. (many people won't see the email, many won't care enough -maybe this is fine-, maybe they never received the email due to spam filters, maybe they missed, maybe they didn't understood the message), so, we will lose a lot of them from that

also, spambots are really smart today, they even click in the links on the received emails like if they were humans

oh no D:

That will screw over:

• people with slow computers that you're trying to cater to, which will take a while to load that
  • people using netsurf
  • people with javascript disabled
  • etc...
1 Like

the most illogical part of this is that spambots can use javascript too. archiveteam (an organisation that aggressively archives websites) actively used a bot named "chromebot" which could get around cloudflare and use javascript before it was decomissioned.

https://wiki.archiveteam.org/index.php/Chromebot

its a very delicated thing since is so hard to avoid spambots (and thus, allowing spambots means to have fake / unsolicited emails in the database which ends in being blocked / marked as spammers in email providers)

Thanks for the tips, today I will do tests with the JS-based form and these cases, but note that I think today's is almost useless to have javascript disabled (even google recaptcha requires js, i don't think it works without it?)

google recapcha v3 is enabled now, which is not interactive and based in a user score

yeah I think its easy to make bots use javascript too (this makes 100% sense making a bot), but I will still do a few tests and see how it works (to at least see if bots are actually able to see / use the form, or they are skipped entirely)

btw there's already 20 IP's which used the honeypot and turns to be banned for 6 months, most of them are from russia

1 Like

The FAQs page is entirely rewritten, so I have get rid of an annoying "faqs" plugin and converted all the faqs to individual posts, the result should be the same especially for SEO (so should not have a negative impact), the website should improve in stability but especially should be more light/fast now (probably unnapreciable)

https://www.elivecd.org/faqs/

Just looked there and I must say, the visuals are quite appealing.

The answers to the FAQs (at least the first 2 I glanced through) have some grammar issues.

• Would you like me to give a rewrite/corrections later today?

Sure! this is very appreciated and needed :slight_smile:

But, don't do it yet, I will try to create a temporal copy of the website where everything can be edited (in fact, only these ones for now, since all the contents are going to be rewritten), so its much better, easier and faster to edit directly the contents on the website

Wouldn't it be easier to do that on github or gitlab ..... or even here as a wiki post?:thinking:
That way we'll at least have a way to backtrack if we deem a change to be undesired or wrong.

• Then again we are so few that it might be overkill.

Good idea to have stuff split into smaller chunks. Makes it much easier to oversee.
With the whole site I wouldn't even know where to begin ...... that's an awfully big chunk of text. :shocked:

not really, the editor in the website is so handy that is more fast to edit directly on it

about backtracking, since its a "temporal website" is not a big issue since can be verified before to become public, by other side we have also "revisions" in the website (on which you can recover a version of a page from X days before), the only issue is that we cannot have a real visual "diff" of what changed, except, by creating a small cli tool that fetch the contents (so, words) "before and after" which I think should not be hard to do

yeah I try to do it in the best "less work" as possible :slight_smile:

will keep you informed in a different thread

1 Like

I suggest changing the "Download torrent" on the old versions site to the archive.org listing or at least link to the archive.org torrent (not sure if it's the .torrent or _archive.torrent) ... too busy to do the myself.

Also Thana.......You forgot to opt-out of the YoUTube unlisted videos privatizing. This video - YouTube is linked from the website. It's saved in the WBM here https://web.archive.org/web/20210721234255/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEt5a7xIFYE but most people won't be checking there... so go into youtube studio and make it unlisted again!

Basically, sentences shouldn't be very long.

On the contact page, for example:

My name is Samuel F. Baggen and I'm the founder of Elive since 2002 when it was a very different, geekier system, since then I have been the solely developer of Elive and received extra collaborations by volunteers, later, the first public version appeared on 2005.

That is a run-on sentence. The best way to fix them is to just split them up. Example:

My name is Samuel F. Baggen and I'm the founder of Elive since 2002 when it was a very different, geekier system; since then I have been the sole developer of Elive and received extra collaborations by volunteers. Later, the first public version appeared on 2005.

Hummm, that's the original sentence I remember correcting for exactly that.
It became (on webtest2 i.e not published yet):

My name is Samuel F. Baggen and I'm the founder of Elive, back in 2002 when it was a very different, geekier system. I have been the sole developer of Elive since, occasionally receiving collaboration by volunteers. The first public version appeared in 2005.

But the example is clear: Keep it simple and short!

Happy new Year to all BTW. :dance:

1 Like

Ah, I forgot to check webtest.

Considering how long these corrections have been available, it is indeed high time @Thanatermesis updates the text portions on the website accordingly.

1 Like

I don't remember.. it was there an improvement on that torrent?
Actually to have the file on the server has two advantages:

• full uptime & faster download
  • downloads of the torrents are tracked in the stats website, this makes us to know how many downloads the torrent file got (I just configured some hours ago the stats to be able to count it better)

thanks for the tip, I think they are updated now

thx, updated :slight_smile:

oh, yeah, the webstest2 site was not yet integrated on the old one, I don't remember why this task was paused due to some reason (but the FAQs page was imported I think, I still need to review/work on that)

yeah agree

in fact the ones to edit should be made on webtest and not the normal website (on which you* have access), but we have not a control/workflow on that at the moment so let's wait for the future work on the website :slight_smile:

note: I'm working now on migrating the server, based on elive-for-servers, new email server will be ready soon too! :happybounce:

yep exactly, its just a bit paused ATM :slight_smile:

The internet archive itself will seed that torrent.

Feel free to self-host it, tho. You'll just have to update it if I make any changes (e.g. adding other releases), etc.

Oh i see, so i just need to use the new .torrent file and it will be seeded by 'internet archive' (among others), right? - do you have the link around?

I'm not sure which is seeded by the IA.

I'll get the link later.

Here - I'll make a bookmark on the forum!

The server of Elive (main elivecd.org website and other extra services like keyra) is officially moved to VULTR !

Changes:

• We can already notice a small speed increase :slight_smile:
  • Distro base is bullseye
  • Email server is set up new and we should be able to send back to hotmail addresses for example (if you have one, try the downloads process to see if you receive it good! and mark is as its not spam)

next: the forum server too, which also has hotmail sending issues...

1 Like