Website of Elive, updates and changes

Performance questions: stats or not stats?

Stats is good, they record "from where users come" (this is good to found websites promoting elive, articles of elive, etc), to analyze keywords in order to improve the pages, and especially to know how many daily visitors we have (now is an average 250 per day)

Unfortunately enabling statistics (google analytics & piwik/matomo, yes I have both) decreases a bit the performance adding extra JS files without much performance on them

Disabling statistics makes the site a little faster and better ranked on google because of that

The problem is that by disabling stats, they will be not recorded at all, I'm not worried about enabling them in any moment (which is possible) but about recording monthly metrics, etc... by other side I don't use stats really much (no time & knowledge for SEO)

How much you think is worth not having them at all?

• disable all stats
  • maintain matomo only (private stats, stills decrease a bit the performance)
  • keep all them, statistics are important even if they are never watched

0 voters

I think stats are over rated. They give an assumption of 'being in control' but don't actually do that when it comes down to the nitty gritty.
All in all, the only stat that counts (in our case) is the number of downloads and/or donations....they are the only measure of effectiveness.

Our numbers are so small that it's easy enough to see what article or event triggered a higher number of visitors.

1 Like

Updates:

• stats on google-analitys are disabled
  • piwik is moved to the same server, so the stats doesn't slows down the website
  • now the website is pretty much faster!

Yeah, it really is much snappier now.
Good! :happy_dance:

1 Like

Since its possible that we will not have Compiz anymore in Elive (unless we work in an E17 fork instead of going for E25+, and also have a strong C development happening on Compiz/Ecomorph), I have changed the old Compiz description to SystemD:

to:

1 Like

I like that a lot better.
BTW on the Stable page:
I personally want to give a BIG thank you to every person who has donated to Elive previously. This version would never have become a reality without their support.

Change "This version" to simple "Elive" ... that way it doesn't look misplaced i.e works on any page.
Actually, considering that "every person" is singular and "their support" is plural:
Change the whole to:

I personally want to give a BIG thank you to all those who donated to Elive previously. Elive would never have become a reality without that support.

1 Like

Is "all those" plural? If so, I'd stick with "their support" as it's nicer to read.

Well "all those" uses "have" as verb where "where every person" uses "has" ...... with "all those" and no have/has, "their" is an option.

I agree "their" is a nicer read, where the slight difference is that it points to the donaters whereas "that" points to the donations....it's a matter of choice. :slight_smile:

Thanking the donors I think is a better look, might make potential ones feel more appreciated.

1 Like

C'mon... decide guys :slight_smile: I have already edited this text 2 times (in all the pages found which is around 5 or 6 different ones)

Is the actual version good or should be changed? but this thread is only about announcements so let's do that on a different thread or just directly into the temporal yopad

We have decided, it was

I personally want to give a BIG thank you to all those who donated to Elive previously. Elive would never have become a reality without their support.

Updated all "big thank you" related texts on the multiple pages

Note: At least even if the website should be re-made entirely, we will use good made texts, just like selected contents to use

1 Like

Using a recent interview, I added a "history of elive" page on the elive website, which I think it was pretty much needed to have since long time ago - History - Elive Linux

Maybe more / better details can be included, for example in the "simple-english" wikipedia page of elive there can be found some (much more interesting than the actual wikipedia page) details

PS: In fact, the first place it should include the most and best information about Elive is, the Elive website itself, so its important to declare the best details that later, can be used in any other place by anyone

Main website server has been upgraded to a newer hardware, making it a 20% faster

OS upgrade will be do next, same for the forum, so expect a forum not working for some hours in the future

Server has been updated to bookworm, moving from PHP 7.3 to 8.2, fixed a few bugs in the code, the overall server response should be at least a 30% faster now
Some improvements has been made on the visual aspects
Menus improved in a small organization of elements and also moved from rounded "download" button to rectangular ones

More fixes and improvements being made on the website...

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Brainstorming website optimizations