What are our options ? Dropbox October 15 ( not compatible anymore with Elive)

From Dropbox

I Jean-Francois,

This is a reminder that we are updating the system requirements for the Dropbox desktop app on Linux.

On October 15, Dropbox is ending support for Ubuntu 13.10 and below, and Fedora 20 and below. You must have glibc 2.19 or higher to continue using the Dropbox desktop application. Devices that do not meet the updated operating system requirements will be logged out and will not be able to use the application.

Updating your Operating Systems
We recommend that you update to a supported Linux operating system (Ubuntu 14.04+ or Fedora 21+) or meet the new system requirements. To update your operating system please go to the Ubuntu and Fedora websites.

As you update your operating system, please ensure you meet the new file system requirements. The location of the Dropbox folder will need to be on an ext4-formatted hard drive or partition.

You may try to update glibc, swap to Jessie repos for a moment, apt update, apt install glibc, swap back to elive repos. It may (maybe not) work

Will wait for @Thanatermesis to give a go on that LOL as I don't know the impact on all other components within ELive....

Tks though for the suggestion

I don’t think it should have a great impact, glibc should be back compatible with applications that need older versions

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Installation of Vivaldi

Until I test that in a VM
I will use my Ubuntu VM to run / access dropbox and share the Folder and access it through the HOST ( ELive)

1 Like

if somebody make Dropbox work on Elive let me know

Your device(s) must now be on glibc 2.19 or higher to log back into the Dropbox desktop application. We recommend that you update to a supported Linux operating system (Ubuntu 14.04+ or Fedora 21+) or meet the new system requirements.

Hi ,

We are reaching out to let you know that device(s) which do not meet our new operating system requirements have been logged out of the Dropbox desktop application. Dropbox has ended support for Ubuntu 13.10 and below, and Fedora 20 and below.

In order to log back into the impacted device(s), you must meet our new system requirements for both operating systems and file systems. Rest assured - you can still access your files from Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android apps, or through dropbox.com.

We recommend you make the following updates:

Operating Systems
Your device(s) must now be on glibc 2.19 or higher to log back into the Dropbox desktop application. We recommend that you update to a supported Linux operating system (Ubuntu 14.04+ or Fedora 21+) or meet the new system requirements.

To update your operating system please go to the Ubuntu and Fedora websites.

File Systems
As you update your operating system, please ensure the location of the Dropbox folder is on an ext4-formatted hardrive or partition as our file system requirements have been updated.

Dropbox will continue to sync with supported file systems that are encrypted via full disk encryption (e.g. LUKS). Please note that ecryptfs will no longer supported.

If you need help moving the location of your Dropbox folder to a supported file system please visit our help center.

I have wrote a Howto, where there’s 2 ways on which dropbox can be run: Run applications from any other operating system (in your Elive)

Feel free to improve that howto since maybe is not enough detailed or bad structured