Which web browser do you prefer in Elive?

Sounds very promising :slight_smile:
I will continue investing more on palemoon

Extra notes:

• about our firefox (firefox-esr), im not sure now that it includes the "quantum" features that are talked about (faster / lighter), since the -esr seems to be the alternative to quantum :thinking:
  • there's also other alternatives like palemoon (same firefox older version forks), like basilisk, im reading more about it now...
1 Like

210 MB :smirk:

1 Like

I have two laptops running the beta version of 64bit eLive. Firefox Quantum 68.6.0esr version of firefox on those. My main desktop has been running Gentoo for ages and on this i used Firefox 62.0 for a long time. Updated to 72.0.2 ibt over a month ago and it seems to run pretty stable also. This is always on and so is firefox. 15 pinned tabs and about 200 normal tabs open at the moment. about:memory reports usage of about 450Mb for the main process now.

One problem arose from updating to v72 that i haven't figured out yet. When dpms kicks in after 15 minutes one firefox thread hogs one cpu core to 100%. Thinking of updating again :slight_smile: or it's the nvidia-drivers really. Must look into that soon.

@Wizor screen blanking could have been triggered from unknown origin (as you said, maybe from the nvidia drivers)

see if the command "xset dpms 0 0 0" makes your screen to not go blank and so solving this problem

Ah didn't try that one. I've first used
xset -dpms Turn off DPMS
xset s off -dpms Disable DPMS and prevent screen from blanking

Thought that would do the trick. But now i found another thing to test. I use xfce4 on this machine so the powermanager does control dpms blanking too, but it seems the Presentation Mode needs to be ticked to prevent blanking. Will see what happends now...

I am trying it right now from Elive Live... I like it, but was wondering about the free or paid versions...

Faster loading, etc...

On real machines (not Vbox or VMware) Firefox seems to be the winner. Chromium glitches sometimes (some parts of webpage have black bars on them), Palemoon seems to slow my computer down more than Firefox, and Firefox is firefox-esr (Quantum)

These are on the beta versions, and they might just be my machine.

Additional thoughts: why is Netsurf still in the installer, almost all websites nowadays need Javascript, so Netsurf seems to be useless.

Thoughts?

@gtech

Palemoon is fully free.
What you mean is an external advertisement of "start.me"

:nod: :smiley14:

devs and programmers are using it. (on non java sites, primary)
but I agree,
those guys will know where to find it, if needed.
May be a good idea not to install it by default in the future ( ?? )

:confusing: :studying:

who, in the hell, needs REALLY 10 tabs open at a time - by the way...

:ohmygod:
:rofl2:

1 Like

Ok, thanks... now I’m going to install it... :wink:

...oof

Well ouch that is, but I am a very productive person i almost died of laughter typing that

But anyway, @Rebel450, if you wondering who, then ME.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...y'know........

1 Like

:shushing_face: will tell a secret:

@yoda too :nod:

1 Like

Hi!

Sometimes 'till 2 ... hundreds ... :hot_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

Oh!

1 Like

nice reports. Chromium uses a lot of GL hacks so it can be related to your graphic card (or drivers probably more). Palemon should be faster, but seems like it feels a bit lagged sometimes, maybe chrome/firefox has a better "caching" system at the cost of being more bloated. Im trying palemoon these days, at least I don't need to close my browser every X time because my ram is full :thinking:

So now we have a bit of debate between Palemoon VS firefox-esr and also Chromium (like always, since chrom* is more like a standard)

Just because its extremely light in resources, yeah its more limited, but is the lightest one of all with a GUI (I also like "links2 -g" but has no friendly gui) - UPDATE I have updated netsurf, its is pretty much improved in the "kind of javascript compatibility", the version from debian is not updated since 3-4 years ago

ok so, it will be disabled for 64bit versions and enabled for the 32bit ones (on which can be pretty needed / useful), same for the installer fine-tune steps where to select software to include / remove

10 for me is always the minimum tabs that I have, i need to keep tabs opened on things to "work later on" (or even just pages opened for different things / topics at the same time), if i close them, i will forgot them... yeah its pretty useless to have tabs consuming ram for things that you don't work on that moment but since the entire internet technologies are so bad designed :nanana:, there's no better way to do it

4 Likes

You should see some of my computers. Three windows, ten tabs each!

I like to provide attribution in my code, and "read-later"s.

YOU updated it, seriously?
Cool!
:news:

I tried Pale Moon for a while... until I could not install an extension...

Back to Firefox :wink:

Palemoon offers own well developed open source extensions on their side.

The ad-blocker for example is far better than the (commercial third party and proprietary) variants for FF, btw.

@triantares:
Source:
Self-tested.
:madness:

What I tried to install was my Password manager Enpass which is multi-platform and synchronised with all my systems...

I also tried a couple others, but didn’t notice it had its own extensions. Will check that...