Which web browser do you prefer in Elive?

I have been using Brave for a while... Like it
The 2nd one I use is Opera.

1 Like

I have been trying and liking a lot of browsers, but i always come back to firefox

2 Likes

I like FireFox too (as much as Opera...) Opera as some plugins pane on the left side I use for Whatsapp) and that is probably the only reason why I use opera LOL

I guess I use Brave as I think it feel more protected but " who knows.... May be FF is as secure as Brave...

When I open a TAB on BRave :

1 Like

Palemoon is nice. It has a nice clean interface but I do miss my FF extensions like "noscript" and "videoDownloadHelper". :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

I just had to use Firefox for some banking transaction that would not go trough with Brave or Opera...

FF will always be a good browser / choice for people who do not want headaches...

1 Like

I managed to get Slimjet installed today with software installer. I have a terminal phobia so happy to not have to use it. Package installer wouldn't install it for me. I really like some of the options in Slimjet that Chromium don't offer such as automaticaly opening tabs in new tab and an option for refreshing tabs automatically. It also has a built in blocker that works very well!

2 Likes

As the guy seems to say they are selling our DATA, I will give a try to Vivaldi
My main browser is Brave (sync is a bit buggy between 2 and more stations but other than that, I like it)

1 Like

Web Panels (play with it you'll see) in Vivaldi are really really usefull / cool

Opening several URLs within the same window....

Try you'll see...

Syncrhonisation between several computers is cool too.

1 Like

Hi!

I still like realy Yandex, except a new thing on last releases, that (seems) make impossible to have local bookmarks, but a ¤#€¹ foreign yandex.collection... Witch is very weird...

Ho!

Well yandex is Russian after all. :smile_cat:

I kind of like Brave because of the BAT (if you turn on an option for voluntarily ads you get cryptocurrency 'BAT') but.....I always come back to the world of Firefox.

3 Likes

Top-Browsers in 2020:

Brave

Palemoon.

Opera is a no go.
Vivaldi sucks.
Chrome... good, if you like to be a Google servant.
Chromium - not bad
FireFox - good, but big footprint and slow,
though my favorite yet - until I tested Palemoon.
This one is lighting fast.

1 Like

Firefox here. It handles everything, gazillion tabs open and not a memory hog, does as is commanded, best tiny little accessories ever to lighten up the net. Really, bypassing restrictions and getting stuff done without too much hassle is a bliss.

1 Like

This thread is still going??

And no matter what you say @Rebel450 Firefox does not have a big footprint (at least for me)

My main PC is a Dell Precision 370 3.4Ghz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM running Elive. With about 10 tabs open 1GB ram usage and an extremely responsive system.

2 Likes

The question is also "which" version of firefox

seems like the newest versions (avaialble on elive beta's too) has a very big improvement in memory resources and speed, not sure if better or "almost" (not better) than chrom* browsers but had a very big improvement. And about very old versions of firefox, they are for sure much lighter, like palemoon (if im not wrong is a fork of an old firefox)

this puts palemoon in one of the true competitors about resources usage, we should investigate more about it because it could be the best candidate to include in the 32bit versions since browsers are so damn infinitely-bloated (maybe even for the 64 versions too, why not!? even in 64bit they bloats the hell out)

@Wizor @TheTechRobo : which versions of firefox are you using ? (and from the stable or the beta versions of elive?)

FireFox 74.0 with 10 tabs open (youtube; on hold):

PaleMoon 28.9.02 with 10 tabs open (youtube; on hold):

Seems, Firefox is caching more, while PaleMoon is taking Processorspeed in advantage...

32bit / 4GB RAM; 3,6GB accessible
Machine: iMac5 1 v: 1.0
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 T7400 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
clock speeds: max: 2167 MHz 1: 1833 MHz 2: 1667 MHz
Graphics: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV530/M56-P [Mobility Radeon X1600]

Edit:
On a 32bit machine here with Elive 388_ß is even FireFox dam fast... how comes :confusing:

Thanks for the detailed betatests and report @Rebel450 :slight_smile: I was testing it on a virtual machine too

My first impression in the test it was that palemoon feels faster opening tabs / webpages (making sense where you said processor speed in advantage for palemoon). what you meant about "firefox is caching more" ? faster load-speed of pages? or ram-related caching? :thinking:

On a 32bit machine here with Elive 388_ß is even FireFox dam fast... how comes :confusing:

you mean that the firefox on elive 32bit is faster than in an elive 64bit? (similar beta versions)

In any case yes, the 32bit version of Elive includes MANY optimizations and a few minor sacrifices to make the system lighter in resources, you can easily see that on the Conky window without applications opened, in the 64bit version you can see around 450 MB or RAM used while in the 32bit version you can see maybe 300 MB (i don't remember exactly). The last 3.8.10 version includes a few more optimizations from the installer too, specially for virtual machines, mine here is using 250 MB of RAM for the 64 bit version :eyepopping: :eyepopping: :omgomgomg: :eyepopping: :eyepopping:

now im curious about installing the 32bit version with the 4.19 kernel :thinking: and search for more optimizations optimizations optimizatioooooooooons :runningfast:

TIP @Rebel450 when making screenshots, you can run an application in english by prepending the command with LC_ALL=C, examples:

LC_ALL=C firefox-esr
LC_ALL=C gnome-system-monitor

So, a browser needs to be fast but even more important, light on (ram) resources usage. In my vbox test these was the results:

Palemoon Chromium
1 TAB +270 MB +340 MB
10 TABS +400 MB +480 MB

Definitively palemoon is lighter in resources and feels faster, it can be a better candidate than chrom* or firefox for both 32 and 64 bits of elive :thinking:

Now a few more questions:

• it does works correctly with websites like youtube, spotify, facecrap, etc? (the things that people most uses)
  • it does renders / play videos in a performant way? (try to play 4k videos in youtube, how much they lag in comparison to chrom* / firefox ?)
  • it supports correctly the new html5 / css3 (and similar) technologies? this can become a problem with websites were it can be not so compatible

I should try (myself) to play with firefox and palemoon alternatives for let's say a week (mental note: deinstall chrome to not accidentally open it, like always :rofl2: )

1 Like

Thanks for comments and useful hints (didn't know the language trick)
For Palemoon; I read a lot on their site after I realized that these are clever guys -
and yes it seems that Palemoon has quick grown up.
They made several extensions e.g. for 4K and so on. Very Interesting project, too.
(Like Elive, could be the same family :laugh: )
Must check between these days and will report later.
For now I can already confirm :

=
In any case - a lot more performative than FF does, that's why I switched the browser on the weaker machines, it's amazing - before lagging and hopping, even the sound was coming too late
(not synchronous) but mplayer_smplayer and now Palemoon makes it feeling really fast.
For Facecrap I can't check, no account there... (may be my wify can check out)
She was very impressed, that she could watch her damn hispaniola telenovelas lagfree on the old iMac now. ( now she is blocking this machine ) :ohmygod: :rofl2:
(yes, she speaks spanish fluently, too)
Btw:
Palemoon is the default browser at MX Linux now. (Those are also not blond)...

Stay healthy so far :wink:

Ah, btw I contacted SoftMaker and introduced Elive to them (after making a donation) -
let's see, may be ....

1 Like