Which web browser do you prefer in Elive?

Carefull there, I don't have Chrome
...... I've got Chromium and that uses the exact same amount of RAM as FF with exactly the same tabs and sites there.

Well,
it depends from where you look on it.
Chrome/ Chromium are quite more fast with loading,
but Firefox can open more varieties of pages/ destinations and offers a rich choice of add-ons
which on other browsers lacks.
Finally it's a question with what the users are feeling more familiar/comfortable.
Methinks :smirk:
Opera is the right choice, though I personally don't like it - without a reason that I could explain.
BTW
Vivaldi was in the spot lately by certain forum members (I don't tell ya that @yoda was involved)

• Vivaldi is an Opera fork.

This is one of the reasons, why you are getting compared with Steve by certain forum members nowadays.... (I will not tell that @triantares, @yoda, @Rebel450 aside with others were involved...) ;

= Crazy - Sexy - Cool (was it 'TLC' ? can't fully remember ...)

:rofl2:

1 Like

You can call it by the name more direct,
not everyone understands your fine-tuned advise

"Carefull there, I don't have Chrome"
=
"Carefull there, you don't have to use Chrome, better.

:rofl2:

Was in reference to RAM usage. It was to make clear I don't have the figures for Chrome, only Chromium and FF.

No advice :smile_cat: intended there

Firefox latest stable is v69. Its fast , and has lots of extensions. It also allows me to download Youtube videos

And if the extension doesn't work, like with silverlight or chunked streams, you've go a small commandline app called "youtube-dl" available that can do wonders. :w00t:

2 Likes

:+1: Going to have to learn a lot of commandline. Looks like that's where the action is all at. It is intimidating though! looks like greek. Thanks a lot

Heheh, can't resist that one.
It's geek not greek. :rofl2:

That too.. :grinning:

Debian Buster has been recently updated to a new version, you can upgrade your Elive without any issues.

This means updates in browsers too:

• Firefox: 68
  • Chromium: 78

Which, if im not wrong, firefox is now updated with the "firefox quantum" features (which is much faster apparently)

Anybody has any feedback on the changes of these browsers ? (noticed any speed / resources-usage) improvement with the previous versions?

Note: I'm going to build a new beta release soon with all these updates

1 Like

Frankly, I haven't noticed any differences.
I upgraded (and rebooted for the new kernel too) but already forgot that I did. Had to check if my FF effectively had been upgraded. :rofl2:

in my medium-power laptop (first i7 gen) i feel chromium a bit laggy, but the new firefox feels a bit lighter / faster, about ram usage im not sure yet (not checked in detail)

if both speed and resources are better, firefox should be set to be the new default browser then

1 Like

I did that already a while ago and removed Chromium completely during the last upgrade. I didn't use it at all any more.

Here's my ram difference with firefox having 4 tabs open:

free
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 8034160 1285228 4075040 133376 2673892 6378852
Swap: 15344636 0 15344636
~ ❯❯❯ free
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 8034160 2578844 2604468 308084 2850848 4910528
Swap: 15344636 0 15344636

About 1.3G difference. A lot of which is webcontent.

1 Like

On a Dell Latitude D531 with 2gigs ram, Vivaldi 1.1 is crap. Not sure about your experiences.

I do the same. I got used to it using most of my time a Pentium 4 based machine. It's not as fast as midori but it is way more stable!

for those very low-end machines, i recommend to try netsurf & links2, the first can be more friendly and the second one is the lightest option

1 Like

I would like t se Slimjet as an option in the software folder. I use it with other Linux instalations but I can't seem to get it working in 64bit Elive. You can sign into it with your google accout so it is just a version of chrome but it is lighter weight and faster on other distro's I've installed it to.

2 Likes

Epic browser is pretty cool too! Comes with a built in VPN changer and blocker. I use it often when running windows 10

1 Like

Looks like it's available for windows, mac os and android only :confused:

1 Like