Which web browser do you prefer in Elive?

so seems like firefox quantum is much better? i wonder when will be included in debian... as we can probably switch to it by default

1 Like

they will probably never do so,
because of so called "proprietary content" or something like this...

• it has to do with the open source idea

And so I installed by myself, it works well. :w00t: :nod:

1 Like

I just found this on google, made by an old user (actually unactive I think) of Elive

4 Likes

Sweet! Looks good in my Firefox 69 Quantum!

We should surely use one of those themes in the FF that is installed by Elive.

2 Likes

The today's browser's bloat is just crazy... it breaks entirely the Elive goodnesses for the new versions!

In other words: how much RAM it takes you to use a web browser today's ?

I'm just running my laptop with Elive 3.0, 11 tabs opened in chrome, and only consumes 650 MB of RAM, almost a half of one GB :expressionless:

It is madness ........ they are so bloated and extensive that they are almost an OS in themselves. :frowning_face: and even then they are too heavy.
I don't have ChromeOs but how much RAM does that use with the browser in full use?

Maybe a different/lighter browser for default should be considered .... and other browsers like FF, chromium and Opera "at your own risk".

1 Like

they doesn't exist! :frowning:

only old versions like in topaz

Well FF was forked because Netscape Navigator got too heavy/bloated ..... who knows.

Maybe @Rebel450 can tell us what FF in OsX uses as RAM. That has "webkit" as renderer.

Well, I always try them, in this way:

run htop, and run each browser with 1 search first, close all of them, then:

• see how much ram is used in htop without them loaded
  • open browser-1, with one tab, see how much the RAM is increased
  • open browser-1, with 10 tabs opened, see how much ram is used
  • loop and compare with other browsers

this was an old result: ELIVE Linux - Another very interesting research, this is a... | Facebook

Vivaldi it works well

Its my browser of choice at the moment. Appears to me faster than most.

1 Like

Well, I could - but it's not comparable.
I use Quantum on Mint Ci ( imo more comparable)
it uses by an average usage around 380 MB with swap enabled....
( To remind you - applications behavior changes with virtual memory on/off :wink: )

Ahm..... which one now :thinking: ...

Anyways,
a warm welcome to our community :+1::grin: :omgomgomg:

Sorry. Vivaldi

2 Likes

I never tried it, what would you consider the Pros / advantages in it's features ?
For now I am using Brave.

As a good solution for these ram-eating-monsters I have recently installed the addon "OneTab", and im very happy with it

basically puts all your tabs in a created page as a links list, so you can access to them -when- you need, and you can work from the only needed opened ones each time, you can trigger in any moment a "park my tabs" thing

ram-eat :runaway:

:disbelief:

1 Like

Lately I've found that FF does not keep all the tabs "alive". Once I return to a tab, I notice it reloads it ...... albeit FF still needs a good 400+ Mb of RAM...depending on the site visited.

Seriously? the last time i tried firrefox it was slower and/or more memory consuming than chrome :thinking:

maybe i didn't waited enough to have these tabs automatically freed

but if firefox is a (much?) better option that chrome, well... :thinking:

1 Like

Something @yoda should give a spin !!!!