Wikipedia page of Elive REBORN

We did that about a year ago. No cigar.

Right now the Draft:EliveLinux article is the best one, with the most sources and the best formatting. It's gotten the closest to being accepted (the only issue they mentioned was the references).

but we can try again :slight_smile: let's at least annoy them, or just see if we need to follow "any rule that we missed" in the process to have it accepted :thinking:

but "draft" is useless, because it makes the page Elive - Wikipedia to not exist, this is very important because wikipedia was the second biggest source of incoming users that "discovers" elive. Also, by having it, we can list (reference) elive in many of the "linux distros", "live distros", "light distros", etc... many articles in wikipedia, this creates a lot more of possible new users that discovers elive, by showing them them in a list of FOO distros, BAR distros, X featured distros, etc...
:info:
This is why the wikipedia article is so important for elive, is not about "hey, elive appears on wikipedia", its because is the second biggest source of incoming users to the elive website, and we need to put our bigger efforts on that part because otherwise doesn't matter how good elive can be if the world doesn't knows about it

The "any rule we missed" is THE REFERENCES!

We do NOT have enough references!

It is still a work in progress. We have not yet enough sources for them to accept because they are really picky when it comes to articles.

Bollocks, the guy that helped me out also helped on the references.
We have more references there than most other distros.

It's just the editors parroting each others comments with out even taking the trouble to check what they are and what is there in general.
The last one actually verbatim copied over the first one's refusal.
It's total idiocracy over there and we've got those flags we wont be getting rid of until WP changes its policies.

1 Like

If @techrobo feels like, re-submit the entry and maybe for once get one of those refusers to "talk".

I'm not going to as I suspect I will get very abusive in my language ...... which is definitely not in our interest.
Who FFS wants to do stuff like they do for free ..... you need to be a sociopath who enjoys the short power feeling of refusing someone else's work.

I can't. both lazy and I wouldn't be able to keep a thread going with them. (Both sort of related to each-other)

they said not "enough" or reliable? if "enough", don't worry, we will have a ton more :slight_smile: and wikipedia is a good place to save a list of good references (but let's just have a damn backup of the page-code in our own files), I mean, one of the priority pages that I need to re-write is the "testimonials" one, so i need to collect as many references as possible for it (big research in all of them :work: sigh...), so when this page will be ready (since they will be already selected) we can pick as many we want from that page and include in the wikipedia page (which is also useful to have the ones from wikipedia in the elive website, I mean, they can see that are trustable references because elivecd.org includes them too)

that's not bad, let's then be more important than ubuntu with their known "flooded internet of ubuntu bla bla" references :slight_smile:

ok, let's be cautious on what we include, for example im going to do a good selection of which ones to include in the website of elive (domain reputation)

do we have actually any "bad one" in the wikipedia page?

i will check the list on wikipedia too to pick some good ones :slight_smile:

we can include more for sure (im going to work on this) but of course is good to mention that too if the other distros showing on wikipedia has less than us

in any case we need to get used / follow their rules / ways to do things in order to have it :frowning:

agree :slight_smile:

then i think i would need to do it :neutral_face: but first i need to remake the testimonials page, which first i need to finish the emails issues, and probably publish another release since the last one is from firsts of january (ideal is 1 per month, to keep some activity of users), but again this was not possible due to the emails problems which needed to be fixed before to be able to "send emails" (we still blacklisted on hotmail since long, but that's not new / doesn't changes much), and then probably release that nice "E16 stable snapshot" which also needs a dedicated page in /downloads/. Anyways, let's continue with the :work:

I have been extremely cautious and removed all those (as advised by the senior editor) that were pointing to our own site. That's a big, big NONO on WP .... so forget the testimonials

Like I've said umpteen times: We have been flagged and those flags will not go away easily. Compare that to being blacklisted on a secret list ...... you know it's there but you can't prove anything. :shocked:

You can read for yourself on the drafts page what they exactly said on each refusal ..... you are trying to insert your own vision that WP is obliged to mention Elive, simply because it's an existing distro.
They don't give a damn and are trying to force all the distros under one Linux entry. They're cleaning house and we're collateral damage.

Well, the WP editors want to make a sort of free Encyclopedia Brittanica, thus creating more status for themselves.
The old vision of simply having all human knowledge condensed in a single place written by anyone who wants to, has long been abandoned.
The envisioned "self correcting hive mind" is dead and gone, WP is becoming part of the commercial web.

You cannot because you have been flagged as someone with a conflict of interest (COI). They even think that us two are one and the same person....which is stupid and easily checked. Alas they don't check, thus turning a question into a fact.

To make abundantly clear that I've already tried everything you are proposing, here's a screenshot of the chat/talk sessions I had:

Do read all that is said there and keep in mind that this editor even took the trouble to correct parts of the article himself.

I am actually getting pissed off again after going through all this junk.

good to know

ok, after to read the rest of your post... what we should do? :expressionless: :gun:

they are so f**** stupid to think is the same account, wtf, they should use an ip verification or similar thing at least, we all are in different countries

Sigh... I've added COI disclosures everywhere, I think this is the last one (on the Talk-page)

Hopefully this is enough. :confused:

shoot, I thought this was posted hours ago

I guess that evenm isn't perfect. An elaborate hack could use VPNs.

Probably add more sources and resubmit. If we have 40 sources and they still decline we need to contact them because that would be unacceptable. This is already bad, but remember - it could be a lot worse.

I think that one point of consideration might be to make sure that all sources have a direct reference inside the article.
Just adding haphazard sources isn't going to help. :thinking:

2 Likes

no thats not important, what i mean is exactly that they don't verify anything, they just "assume" without even checknig from where is the ip or something like that

that's what i wanted to hear :slight_smile: ok I will work on that research of articles soon/next (still other tasks to do atm)

thanks, yeah we need to verify / check that and make sure is good defined

just to clarify: next release of beta is going to happen soon, do I should include some "please help wikipedia" message on it or I should skip that thing for now? (maybe, I can just say something like we have very hard difficulties to recover our Elive entry in wikipedia, if you are a wikipedia moderator please contact us, we need urgent help with that and we are totally lost ? )

I'm saying that while they didn't, they might be thinking that it's still not a perfect check

yes

1 Like

Ok let's do a fast correction of the message, or the meaning & need (edit -this- mine post, let's see how this works), note that also we don't want "novice users" helping out which can screw up more things of it, so:

We have very hard difficulties recovering our Elive page in Wikipedia that was deleted in the past, if you are a Wikipedia moderator please contact us, we need urgent help with that and we are totally lost waiting forever for the Wikipedia approval. Wikipedia is one of the most important pages for Elive in order to make it more known to the world.

Yeah, we tried everything. So if it's important: Start begging !!!!
Gawd, what else can we do? :shocked:

That ... is the least of our worries, they wont, given our status !!

1 Like

Saying no more:

1 Like

In any case, still the second source of users to the Elive website

short story about 3.8.20: it was announced, the emailing of newsletter was very slow because of sending-limitations due to the spambots attacks during months, and thus distrowatch didn't published anything about the elive release until the fourth day, I was surprised of that but it was because they didn't received any email with the news -yet-... this situation turned to be a totally unknown release, 3.8.20 was released and nothing happened during days, no users in the website, just like no release happened at all until the fourth day which apparently DH finally received the email newsletter and then published the release...

without DH and wikipedia, elive will be simply dead

WTF.

Shady, shady, Wikimedia.

I give up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:TheTechRobo3641#Your_submission_at_Articles_for_creation%3A_EliveLinux_(July_19)

Honestly, I was doing a little every month, But this is stupid.

Is Linuxformat not reliable?

How DOES a source get reliable anyway???