3.7.0 betatesting experiences

Did "apug" and "elive-skel upgrade .e16" on the live mode (after stopping the formatting otherwise apug would not run): Works a charm, now on logout shutdown and reboot are offered and work.

Same on installed, perfect! :slight_smile:

1 Like

keep me updated about the results for the disk, im curious to know what is happening with it

This is sweet -
ya, PayPal is actually a better praxis then Patreon, btw
Patreon sucks.

Btw:
I will do a bare metal install on an Acer Aspire i5 notebook tomorrow, this weekend it is not possible.
Will report.

So am I.
Will try a different connection so as to be able to supply external power to the disk. It might be due to under-powered USB ports on the laptop.:thinking:

In live mode I noticed:

I was welcomed with a segmantation fault in live mode :zipper_mouth_face:
Nothing so bad anyway, nothing crashed at all!

Moreover the status widget on the right (in e16) was not updating correctly: anytime a string needed to be updated (like %) was just overwritten, ending up in a mess.

i cannot change the backlight intensity!

Anything else worked just smoothly as supposed.

Installed:

Once elive is installed, i see i can switch to e17 (no dynamic icons tho :confused:), but i do not see any options to use e22!

I begun using e16 (i like it's oldish looking and sounding style). Once again i cannot change the backlight intensity (this is a common problem i have with ANY debian based distro, while in rpm based one for some reason my mouse stutters). At first reboot, all the settings menus (like the one for intro song and mouse settings) re-appeared (this happens every logout-login) and it's kinda annoying. Moreover, always at the first reboot, the status bar on the right (which was working perfectly in first place, disappeared.

Last notes:

1. how can i make the function keys work properly?
  2. I can change the brightness manually using xrandr, so i realy do not understand why any other tools does not work (i already had long talks on irc in #linux but we have never been able to solve it).
  3. THANKFULLY the wifi card just worked greatly out of the box! Most times does not and it's so irritating!
    my hardware:
    https://pastebin.com/yXwDKdar

I could change the brightness on e16 with hardware buttons. though not on E17 in live mode.
Installed it won't work .... looking into that but also still busy looking for bugs/glitches.

I actually keep on typing on the wrong keyboard or run he wrong command on the wrong machine if I don't pay attention.

Uncheck "elive-configuration" in the list box you get.

I'm not sure whether @Thanatermesis uses "brightnessctl" to manipulate the backlight but I found it requires "sudo".
Not very logical considering screen brightness is a very USER thingy but then it is "systemd" rearing its ugly head. :face_vomiting:

Use "brightnessctl" to discover max and current settings, "sudo brightnessctl s xxx" to set brightness desired. (xxx is in this case a number.)

Yep, in fact happened to me recently, I had an external disk similar to yours used for year for work, in fact with a similar (simple usb mini?) cable, but it started to fail in a level that become totally unusable (similar to your, but only showing errors in kernel messages, no crashes), I put it in the trunk thinking that was totally useless. One day I tried to use the cable that I had from other similar disk (but not a normal usb cable, these not works), and surprised! it works perfectly now and its in full health! the problem was simply the cable !

From e16 ? it is reproducible ?

you need to select it from live before to install and it should be included, but you can also "api enlightenment" to switch from e17 to it, note the list that e17 problems has (said in live mode)

For now it only works in live mode (if worked), requires sudo whithou password if you can configure that, I will check how to implement it for the installed mode.. noted

It should appear only in your first desktop setup (first installed boot), but i have noticed that for the songs too, but later it worked... I don't know yet what could cause it, will need more tests to reproduce the problem

The systray ? it should work without problems, but only shows up when its used, for example press "alt + esc" which opens kupfer (launcher) on the trayer

brightness ? seems like is not well supported in your hardware, try if the birghtness gadget works for you in E22 from live mode, otherwise you may need to google if you need a special setting or driver (or package to install)

there's different ways to change brightness, acpi call, /sys call, /proc call.. even a xrandr command which not works for everybody, being said that, every "brightness tool/gadget" uses a different code (or all of them, which is the ideal) to make it working, the future will be being able to do it from the E22 gadget, so first try if works from it, otherwise, that code should be then improved

:dance:

yuck ati... but good to know that works for you :slight_smile: , ati is always a hard one (probably the reason of the brightness issues), you may need to google for that about brightness

yep, as we can see it in the .e16/e-something.0-0.cfg file, you can add a NOPASSWD entry in the sudo conf to make it working for now

and yes, i dont know why it requires root privileges but this is how it is made

so i'm not the only one with random hardware lying around my room.

Thank you a lot. Did not think about that!

thanks

It's not something i'm going to do :eyes:

I realized that just a few cm difference in length may make the difference between a well working drive and an unreadable one

I will try to reproduce it. Tell you in a few minutes!

Tell me if i may do anything about that

This may explain what i mean better than me:

I thought also play and stop but i was mistaken they actually work properly!

Checking it out thanks!

I dont see any problem in the systray :thinking:

Not the systray... in e16 when elive was just installed there was a widget listing the cpu %, the amount of RAM used, the most resource intesnive processes... And suddenly was gone!

@Thanatermesis I cannot get arandr personalized scripts to run from .screenlayout/xxxxx.sh other than maually using "source".
checking .xsessions-errors I see a line stating "cannot create ~/.config/elive/elive-tools : Permission denied :thinking:
Is this the cause of the ever returning configurator on startup?

You mean setting up a "Cmnd_Alias" in /etc/sudoers or another user?

No it's not.
BY THE WAY the password creation field in the installer does not hide the password!

Its "conky" and its launched as a demo in live mode, you will need to run it yourself in the installed system to have it

I wonder if I should include it by default (forced for everyone!)

this is because e17 includes a wrapper which launches it before to run the desktop, mmh, maybe i can include it in e16 too :thinking:

cannot create permission denied?? is this directory owned by root or something similar ? :thinking: