3.7.0 betatesting experiences

And nothing ......doesn't even go into the BIOS to enable selection. The moment I detach it, Tpad continues.
After a few times it accepts and boots but is not recognized.

Just stopped it ...... it was still using MBR. I'll try testdisk to get UEFI repaired.

Will do! For the moment waiting for formatting to finish ..... methinks your kernel compile will win.

I just crashed my E16 lol, its the first time in an entire month using it day and night

Doesn't go to the bios with the USB attached? that sounds like a problematic disk recognition by the machine :thinking: which "bootable" structure it has ? grub with mbr ?

Yes :happy: going to reboot now to see if is able to boot (it was not in older attempts)

Here's dmesg ..... I killed the job.

What is this? a buggy kernel by ubuntu? lol

Try Shift + PageUp to scroll up to see what causes the kernel crash, you should read some info about the module related

Not sure to get it, you want me to run that to achieve what ?

Too late for shift and pageUp, reboted with El3.7.:innocent:
That is the mess I was left with after trying to compile/install E22. It pulls in all sorts of snap packages.

The overheating stopped the moment I killed the formatting job on the USB.

Topic moved to a new thread since the moment "E desktops" diverged :slight_smile:

To be able to reboot / shutdown directly from E16

1 Like

That sound dangerous, but i have not clear now if the entire disk is empty / to play with

Busy formatting the USB with the installer on E16. I switched the USB ports.
Change the FAT after it's doen .... hopefully before I wake up.

Using a less claustrophobic wallpaper.:sunglasses:

Buster kernel dmesg pictures. Surprisingly similar to the Ubuntu one.

and of course SHIFT+PageUP

Not going anywhere with this disk methinks.:face_vomiting:

I see two possible problems here

First, your cpu, seems to become too hot, try to install the package mprime-cpu and run mprime-cpu, leave it running for 5-10 minutes and see if shows any error

If worked good, your disk seems problematic (or your cable! this is even more common), check the SMART data from gnome-disks

Did "apug" and "elive-skel upgrade .e16" on the live mode (after stopping the formatting otherwise apug would not run): Works a charm, now on logout shutdown and reboot are offered and work.

Same on installed, perfect! :slight_smile:

1 Like

keep me updated about the results for the disk, im curious to know what is happening with it

This is sweet -
ya, PayPal is actually a better praxis then Patreon, btw
Patreon sucks.

Btw:
I will do a bare metal install on an Acer Aspire i5 notebook tomorrow, this weekend it is not possible.
Will report.

So am I.
Will try a different connection so as to be able to supply external power to the disk. It might be due to under-powered USB ports on the laptop.:thinking:

In live mode I noticed:

I was welcomed with a segmantation fault in live mode :zipper_mouth_face:
Nothing so bad anyway, nothing crashed at all!

Moreover the status widget on the right (in e16) was not updating correctly: anytime a string needed to be updated (like %) was just overwritten, ending up in a mess.

i cannot change the backlight intensity!

Anything else worked just smoothly as supposed.

Installed:

Once elive is installed, i see i can switch to e17 (no dynamic icons tho :confused:), but i do not see any options to use e22!

I begun using e16 (i like it's oldish looking and sounding style). Once again i cannot change the backlight intensity (this is a common problem i have with ANY debian based distro, while in rpm based one for some reason my mouse stutters). At first reboot, all the settings menus (like the one for intro song and mouse settings) re-appeared (this happens every logout-login) and it's kinda annoying. Moreover, always at the first reboot, the status bar on the right (which was working perfectly in first place, disappeared.

Last notes:

1. how can i make the function keys work properly?
  2. I can change the brightness manually using xrandr, so i realy do not understand why any other tools does not work (i already had long talks on irc in #linux but we have never been able to solve it).
  3. THANKFULLY the wifi card just worked greatly out of the box! Most times does not and it's so irritating!
    my hardware:
    https://pastebin.com/yXwDKdar

I could change the brightness on e16 with hardware buttons. though not on E17 in live mode.
Installed it won't work .... looking into that but also still busy looking for bugs/glitches.

I actually keep on typing on the wrong keyboard or run he wrong command on the wrong machine if I don't pay attention.