3.7.0 betatesting experiences

TOPIC : ARR Screen display

There seem to be anomalies with E16 and multiple displays...

Other are experiencing that ?

Yoda

FAST !!! :
ELive 3.16 e16 is very fast I I love it !

I like the Epplets... HOw can we enlarge / Make an Epplet bigger ? Example Time Clock)

Yoda

BUG ? other are experiencing that ?Esc Esc 2 times to see e16 on my desktop

When booting from my HP Desktop with 2 monitor I have to hit 2 times ESC key to see Elive... Else nothing happen

It's not doing that on my 2 laptops.

Yoa

TOPIC : 2 SSD Drive / GRUB anomalies

I had to unplug the 2nd Drive ( Manjaro) and reinstall Elive on the 1st drive, for it to boot...

Was not offered on which drive to configure GRUB during installation

When installing on one drive while one drive was in the PC' it went well

Yoda

Moving windows:

you mean the "extra menu in application border" that are in e17?
you can still do that (probably) using the same hotkeys as e17 (check the pdf of hotkeys list)

Dropbox (googling):

As you probably know, Dropbox has ended support for folder syncing to drives with "uncommon" filesystems, which on Linux means anything but Ext4.

wtf, suckers, lamers :-1:
btw this is a problem of dropbox specifically, and it makes me nonsense to not work on other filesystems, their needs to work should be the same in every filesystem (they just needs the inotify feature of the kernel, which is present in all filesystems)

but which ones?
BTW e17+ has a specific management of multiple screens with xinerama, i dont remember the case in e16, i must try in virtualbox (enabling extra screens), but tell me first which annomalies happens for you so i can understand what happens and/or reproduce the issue :slight_smile:

you cant change the size, they are static :slight_smile: heh, they don't use the EFL libraries so they have a more limited "gui" stuff

wut? and what shows before you press Esc? or its just black screen?

Mmmh, if you boot only with the disk of manjaro connected, which boot you have? the one created by Elive or the original one original by manjaro?

it should, hum... did you enabled reports before to install? (to which email?), so i can check what happened with these disks detection

E22 has it

see trello for the deails
Yoda

Yes black screen
I hit ESC ESC and within a second I see Elive

Yoda

the one by manjaro
Yoda

Did you try using the BIOS to boot from the other disk?

I had to do that on a dual disk laptop that still had Windows 8 on it. The installer couldn' t write to the UEFI boot partition but did so on the other disk that had " only" Linux on it.
The insaller automagically gave me a " chroot" environment to work from ....... very nice touch @Thanatermesis , never seen that before.:applause:

will do more test
From what I remember, need to validate, I can boot from both OS, if forcing it through the BIOS ( Function key / choose the ssd disk I want)

Yoda

When choosing the disk with Elive on it, it should start up with the grub option menu. If it installed grub there. If not you can install yourself once Elive is running with "grub-install /dev/sda or /dev/sdb"
That menu should also offer the other OS as a boot option. If so, just set that as first boot option in BIOS.

1 Like

OK I rebooted, if I choose the right SATA / SSD drive, I can reach elive without any problem... Though on my Desktop, i have to ESC 2 times for it to how... Do not have that behavior on Laptop
Yoda

Will try grub-install /dev/sda

@Thanatermesis
Without reinstalling my Desktop 3.7 / E16

If I want to reboot and make test in E22 on this same desktop,. how can I switch easily fr om E16 from E22 ?

I know with the USB stick it's easy / live mode

But looking for the easiest way to go from E16 to E22 without reboot ?

Yes in VM I can do tests but it's not the same as testing the real thing with my 2 monitors

Yoda

That's a good thing for the future E desktop for Elive :slight_smile: , not sure about e16, check the settings (try e16keyconfig too), you should be able to do the same or similar thing (much control in e16 too)

In any case, E22 can be a good desktop option too, but requires own customization

so grub was not installed on your other disk and not on manjaro too? mmh...
check my comment in trello

noted to test this double-screens virtualbox, so just having both enabled and booting in live mode should be reproducible?

yay! you are the first to use (and found) this feature :slight_smile: , it detects a previously-failed install and gives you more flexibility :furrydance:

and the best: it includes the full needed mountpoints / layer access (so you can install grub for example in sda without errors of permissions and stuff)

well, the problem was aparently the installer didn't asked on which disk to install the mbr :thinking:

ok there's something curious, actually Elive installed -correctly- the mbr on the correct disk (autodetected correctly and so not needed to be asked), your problem is more about that your bios wants to boot by default from the other disk, but then i wonder why the elive installer selected the second disk for the mbr :thinking: , as said in trello, can you do a new install with the steps explained? will provide me the extra needed info about this detection

just from the login manager, but this new loginmanager has it harder to found :woman_facepalming: , its a gear in the top-right corner, also "api enlightenment" if you have e17

or you want both sessions opened? :thinking: there should be a special feature for that in the menus (switch user or something similar), not tested on 3.7.x yet but should work

1 Like

I think my DualBoot problem (ELIVE / Manjaro) comes from my bios using EFI
Secure Boot is disable for sure
Legacy enable, but also EFI when I installed Manjaro.

So, I disable EFI and was able to boot in Elive. But not in manjaro anymore even after choosing the manjaro drive fromr the BIOS F-something at boot time...

Activated Back EFI and now, selecting Manjaro drive, works...

Here is what happen when we don't what we're doing LOL ( Me)... I know the basic of all that but not in details...

Hmm in that case your Elive didn't see Manjaro during grub-install. That's pretty shitty but not deadly.
Apparently Manjaro's grub was also on /dev/sda or you would have been able to boot from your other disk /dev/sdb.
If so, there's a few things unclear from your initial posting as you stated that you were choosing disks in the BIOS and then booting ... which means a grub on each disk. Are you sure you're not confusing the grub menu with your BIOS?

Through grub or through the BIOS, this selecting thing you're doing?

through bios... Mean the F-something you press to chose a USB key or manually choose the drive to booth with

Yoda

1 Like