3.7.0 betatesting experiences

yes, but just to not confuse you, don't care about how to launch it, just launch it from the applications menu which is the correct / default behaviour (with reports)

it will automatically update too (internet required)

@Rebel450 can you tell me which problems you had with nvidia? i didn't understood well, the way nvidia is installed in the new versions is a bit different but should be all correctly working and guided during the live mode

Problem:
could not load module „ temperature“ ...

forget any e17 errors, the e17 desktop is not usable (as it says / explains in popup messages), use e16 or e22

About the installation: do you mean that selecting "automated partitioning + with ext4" option it crashes / doesn't install? (not tested this option here) @Rebel450

but also this installation is everyting else than fast - still processing :omfg:

The installation "configuring" steps is even slower than the install of the system, specially on mechanical disks (lots of operations / packages running), you should see all the process running if you selected that option at the start of the install, so its normal that is slow... but it should not be "extremely slow" :thinking: so i assume this is ok? :thinking:

I am confused

I did launch it from the Elive menu, Install ELive... Is it what you call the Application Menu ??

Yoda

yes that's right, run it this way and enable reports, do the same install with the same disks structure and I will see what is going on with the MBR thingy on the reports

OK

So this is what I did 1 hour ago...

Do I need to reinstall again because you didn't get the report ?

I launched the install using the menu and entered my @gmail.com email

You didn't got it ?

Yoda

It is very related. The ideapad has the exact same behaviour as the X1 carbon. Brightnessctl, ifconfig and rfkill all require a password and thus the keys don' t work either.
I very much want to know if anyone has got the brightness buttons working on a physical install. By that I mean bare metal install, not in virtualbox and the sorts. :thinking:

BTW, in the picture in my previous post, the left hand terminal shows the sequence I used to unmask " sudo".

yep :neutral_face:

sometimes the reports tool in the server doesn't receive reports, i dont know why this happens, seems like iptables is blocking these connections sometimes

what i didn't tried yet is if the 3.7 versions actually reports from the installer, since i think that i have not see any yet :thinking: ... maybe is not and this is why i have not received the report @yoda , give me some time and i will do a test from virtual machine here first

yes because I did at least 4 install with entering my email
Yoda

You should have at least recieved 5 or 6 reports from my protonmail address and 1 from my zeelandnet mailbox yesterday.

@triantares:

I mean that "dmesg" itself has no relation with sudo, in 3.0 (debian wheezy) you can run this from user but in new version requires admin privileges, this changed

your problem is only with sudo, seems like nothing works in your sudo, try the other things said before (startup applications selected the default ones, lightdm installed, your user is added to the sudoers group, if you are using a shared home it can be the cause, etc)

On the ideapad the install was on a SSD all by itself, no shared /home - I deleted the Win8 that was still thjere from the purchase. :mask: and kept all default installer options. The only gripe it had is, that it said it couldn'tinstall grub using blocklists so I did it from the chroot terminal....actually, I did grub-install on both sda and sdb. Just to be sure I could boot without having to use "SuperGrubDisk".
It's a very pristine install. :grinning:
:shocked:I get the impression that the privileges_network is not used at all !:shocked:

That' s why I want to know if there have been succesfull installs that were able to use brightness keys and/or passwordless " sudo ifconfig" . How about your shiny new Thinkpad, did that work for you without further hacking?
Having 2 macines show the same behaviour could be coincidence. So I' ll try a 3rd (my helix2) later on today just to be sure
In about an hour it'll be my wife' s turn for a few hours at the wheel. Methinks she'll be pissed if I mess up her Tthinkpad X220T with Ubuntu on it, so I' ll stick to my Helix. :roll_eyes:

In hindsight : I should've installed Buster too, yesterday. -Just to compare-

After a reboot, new login, sudo ifconfig result is the usual lecture...

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for zbd:

and your brightness keys? Do they work?
or the brightness slider in E22?

Yes it was an upgrade...I curently have my XPS dual booting - Bunsenlabs for 64 bit which I end up having to use most, and Elive 32 bit because I enjoy using it more. :nod:

1 Like

Using brightness keys relentlessly as I type...working just fine.

I am in E16 though - haven't tried E22

Just to be sure I get it right as there were so many threads and replies LOL

I've got 2 laptop (HP and dell) who's brightness doesn't work with e16

did you have to tweak or modify something ?
JF

I'm not smart enough to tweak anything. :blush:

@triantares @yoda Im improving the installer and making it support for reiser4 (experimental), after all the previous fixes (and i will fix the reports things), maybe better to wait for 3.7.1 and reinstall?

@triantares probably your problems will be solved by reinstalling next build (i will verify the sudo things)

In hindsight : I should've installed Buster too, yesterday. -Just to compare-

Elive 3.7.0 is a customized buster :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you see take a look at what "sudo brightnessctl s 20%" does for you?
Ask for password or not?