3.7.1 betatesting experiences

this an issue in e17 only. should work on e16 and e22

they are different:

• btrfs is developed heavily on the mainstream kernel by the kernel devs, was very unstable for years and seems to work good, yes it supports good features and can be a very good option for desktops
  • reiser4 existence: it was never accepted by the kernel because of stupid political reasons or because nobody (from kernel) wanted to work/support it, so the only change to exist is in the form of a patch, it is because of this not globally more tested by users
  • reiser4 performance: is much more efficient than btrfs and has less garbage in the filesystem (so much less wasted space), it just does its work in a better an optimal way, so its a very good option for a faster system, and if you dont have full trust on it you can just use it for your root partition (why not? who cares about it since you can reinstall?)

both filesystems serves different purposes, btrfs was more meant to serve good for big servers with specific and required tasks (like shared / multisdisks / snapshots etc) and in fact these features are not so needed for -us-

so again,they are different, you must know/read about their differences, maybe we need a FAQ entry on the forum talking about them :thinking:

1 Like

MY 2 laptops are now in reiser4
:wink:

Desktop, I'll wait a bit as you suggested

keep me updated about your experience & feeling with reiser4 :slight_smile: i have not installed yet with it in any machine

1 Like

Both laptop reinstalled, with no autologin, ended up with Autologin.
Not sure it has been reported
JF
You are right, larger laptop was offered to use swap (as it's disk is larger)

the autologin is now moved to the user creation with a checkbox for it

but, the autologin setting is recyclated from your old install if you used the upgrade mode, it was a clean install or an upgrade one?

Clean install, erased everythng
Autologin Unchecked at installation
Where to I disable it now ( I can google)

restart still not work in the menu
I need to choose logout then from there shutdown or reboot

with:

sudo user-manager

(yes, the option is here, you will find it -after- to see that is not :wink: lol)

did you selected "not sudo" featured for this user?

Hi!

En route with:

But it probably takes a moment (about half an hour) to download what's needed...
I suppose it not stays after a reboot..?
For now on E16, wifi, light, sound keys ok, track pad full ok (slides)...
Dl finished but... after?

1 Like

@Franc:

no it should not take much time to install
oh you are in live mode? you will probably not be able to use it then, or try:

startx /usr/bin/enlightenment_start -- :1

that should be better to do for the installed system, but for a more integrated desktop you should use e16

NO I selected everything except autologin

I am lost

I want to remove AutoLogin

If I sudo user-manager I can only add it... But may be this is what you meant ? Add it again will remove it or what LOL

noted for test this here

if you don't want to add it, why not press the "cancel" option? :thinking:
this is what makes it to be disabled...
maybe i should add a "disable" option instead :thinking:

Am lost again

If I cancel when it ask if I want it during install, I will also cancel on the other 2 or 3 checkbox questions at the same step ( sudo thing and one other check box in the same window)... I can't cancel there at installation...

Now that the laptop is installed with autologin for my user, how to disable ?
JF

not in the installer... in your installed system, from users-manager, select autologin, then select cancel

LOL ok I got it... Not intuitive but works

So you have to make the uncheck Autologin box works else, people will always ask how to remove it

NOt sure it has been reported

Select a Startup song always shows up at every boot on my laptop... Will try later on Desktop

fixed :slight_smile: try "apug" and run it again, should be more intuitive now

yep, noted, will betatest and fix it from the installer

yes, working on that, there's something that sets wrongly the permissions and i need to found what it is :thinking:

show me the result of:

grep elive-fixes /etc/elive-version
ls -la .config | grep elive

~ ❯❯❯ grep elive-fixes /etc/elive-version
elive-fixes: 3.7.1
~ ❯❯❯ ls -la .config | grep elive
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 3 May 22 10:58 elive
drwxr-xr-x 2 yoda yoda 3 May 22 11:03 elive-upgrader
~ ❯❯❯