3.7.1 betatesting experiences

@Terry_Rosinski
I was personally used for 30 + years clicking icons on Mac, Amiga, Win 3.x, Win9x and above

And it's funny, I prefer so much now ALT + ESC and type " one letter" to access my apps OR create shortcut SUPER KEY (Windows) + one letter for the 5 apps I used the most and would not go back to clicking icons...

But I must admit, what you're asking would be cool, and people are creature of habit and some would enjoy it...

Yoda/JF (who added you on LinkedIn BTW)

Thanks. I see that link-in and accepted..sorry about that. I don't go to that site much :o(
I like making the buttons and icon links on the desktop or have a launch bar. Always have. It gives the desktop personality. I live the animated icons Thanatermesis makes for E17..again gives the desktop personality....these days more and more linux OS's are just having very plain icons and they are all looking more and more like he smart phones have...boring. There was once a time long ago with Windows or was it OS/2 that there was animated icons and you made them yourself in a minute or two..very customizable...only problem with that was it ate up lots of memory and eventually the system crashed from not enough resources...ie memory (RAM) :o(

1 Like

I must admit on E17, previous version of ELive, the icons did looked amazing !
Note : OS2, i had forgot about this one LOL DIdn't play much with it but remember it well.

OS/2 did not get enough support for programming and products and so lost in the marketing to stay alive :o(
Amiga was strong and successful.

1 Like

Note: just to clarify (or remember), I know that the actual status of the desktop are not so nice as in the stable release, the priority now is to finish making the OS working correctly and without bugs, but also the desktops are a major work which requires (even more) time and cannot happen soon. This also means that if somebody -really- wants to use the niceness of e17 must use the stable version instead, also its almost guaranteed that we will loose the ecomorph (special effects/candies) on the next 4.0 release, for now its like to make a decision between "new, 64bits, features, fast, etc.." and a more usable desktop :slight_smile: (my mother surely is not going to use these alpha's lol), but a good amount of people (including me) needs newer, so...

so bad, i worked much on making these special effects nicely working and integrated with the theme borders buttons etc :thinking:

1 Like

me too, me too - I can tell
and am still obsesssed to it ! :love:

1 Like

for those who likes to click on "things", i may suggest to play a game while waiting for a fix:

api xbill
xbill

a game made with love

:runningfast:

1 Like

I did appreciate the STABLE release, "visual artworks, effects and so on"
but for me, a functional, stable, 64 bits release is 100x times more important.. I can now, again, use Elive in my Day to day !! So happy

1 Like

That's why I made own icons, too. :omfg:
(Clear to see - am coming from Mac, no?) :nod:

2 Likes

Yes, very nice! My production system is MAC. I made lots of icons too and use them for Mac and Linux and also have lots of wallpapers too that I place in the wallpaper / background folder in my /home

2 Likes

welcome my brother :wink:

Back to bug fixing:

This comes up every time I launch Elive 3.7 E16. I thought some of you had said it was fixed. Even after making the selection of choice it still shows up every time this way. I even manually run the configuration and make the selection and it still shows up every time. I even select no song at this time and it still pops up with every boot. I have ran APUG several times and have the most current updates. What else can be done?

I am refering to the song slection at startup. I do want to make a choice but seems it does not save the choice and keeps asking the same thing with every boot-up

Hi!

I made a mistake in writing that in the 3.7.0 thread:
"For now I'm out because I uncheck Optimus in the bios to see how it goes, but it turns out the screen: even the start Dell logo doesn't appear... Will test with an external screen..."

It something very weird: I don't for now finds "the why": normally, this uncheck should be usual..!

Hopefully, I arrives to relaunch it with a reset of the bios (battery off, button one disconnected, press "ON" during some seconds, reconnect, close back the cover, replace the battery, setting again the BIOS (with the check for Optimus)

Now, any other option to run Elive on this M6700?

Salutations.

this is the challenge with one long thread for all bugs @Thanatermesis

@Terry_Rosinski I reported too this morning. Same problem for me too on 3 PC and I ran the elive command -c to configure it but it doesn't work

tks !

OK..sorry about that.

No non don't be sorry... it's better to report it 2 or 3 times then than knows it's not only affecting one person

Same here too (on 3.7.0 after apt ugrade)
I think @Thanatermesis knows about it already,
may be we should remind him (?)

1 Like

:runningfast::excited::happy: