reboot the machine
check after REBOOT
if it was really done
start the installer again
chose 'Automatic' when it comes to this decision to make
report :wink:

AH, forgot:
check the dam bios for
AHCI mode (should be selected!) (if available in your bios)

Hi!

Thanks, but for now I'm on live testing only; I surely not erase CAELinux; And of course AHCI set in the bios!

I have a second hd (sshd) where I wish to install Elive, but it's a second hand one & I have a default on it to deal with...

Salutations!

To solve the temporal bug of the "asking song" thingy, just run:

sudo chown "$USER:$USER" .config/elive

This will fix the wrong permissions set on that directory while i try to found "what" is assigning them as root :slight_smile:

So yes, you can (should!) simply run that for have this, and more affected things because of that wrong permission

@Terry_Rosinski @jfbourdeau @triantares @Franc @Rebel450 anybody missing in the mention? lol

2 Likes

isn't it what I tried this morning and it didn't worked than ?

Are you kidding? That was it? :shocked:

What is this one ? didn't know about it
EFI or UEFI, Secure Boot, Legacy ok but AHCI I never touched that

oooof - :cold_sweat:

I am getting too old, you're right !!! I forgot we solved it this morning doing that... FOrgot... Will validate

in some machines you can enable/disable / chose another mode for the sata controler ;
AHCI/RAID and others

@Franc about your nvidia problem:

there can be different things, the first is to know if nvidia compiles successfully on your side and if is the correct driver, this is simple to know by looking at the "suggested" version of the driver and verifying that it doesn't fails (message shown) when installing it

the second possible problem would be on that case that you have a wrong configuration to use for xorg, maybe the one shipped by default is not good for you (or it changed in these new versions of elive)

what i suggest you to better test the issue, is to boot in the "console mode" (since you need to select the Privative Drivers menu option, you can do that by just pressing TAB and adding the parameter: nox11autologin) - after to have boot, you should probably see a message about "how to install nvidia manually", with a very powerful tool in Elive where you can try as much times as you wish installing / uninstalling the nvidia drivers (without messing up your system with them):

~ ❯❯❯ sudo nvidia-privative-drivers-install
I: No nvidia graphic cards found on this machine
~ ❯❯❯ sudo nvidia-privative-drivers-install -h
Usage: nvidia-privative-drivers-install [options]
-a: auto install
-d: detect only (return true or false if we have nvidia or not)
-l: live mode (don't pre-download packages, pre-ask if want to install, more interactive)
-f: force install (if no nvidia cards are found)
-q: quiet mode
-h: help usage
-c: check only (tell which version of the drivers we need)
-t: test driver only (if the driver is correctly installed and working)
-m: model (version of drivers) to use
- like: current, legacy-304xx, legacy-173xx, legacy-96xx
-u: uninstall drivers
-v: verbose mode
~ ❯❯❯

after to play by installing / uninstalling the driver you can just try "startx" to see if launches the graphical system, and / or returning to the console for (change xorg conf maybe?) and trying again startx

what is with the parent directory then ?

you are right LOL I just rebooted my 2 laptop and I don't have it anymore
Me I ran your command, next time I saw or invoked the startup song window manually, the config did worked / was retained(saved) properly

I got a (stupid?) idea -
can I
apt update
apt upgrade
apt dist-upgrade
in my 3.7.0-A and will have a 3.7.1-A
or
a piece of Frankenheimer afterwards ?

yes, that was the problem, something creates the dir .config/elive as root, and since its owned by root, everything wanted to be used/saved/created on this place fails (a lot of elive tools that saves configurations, like the songs, or multiscreens)

now i need to find, WHAT in all the massive tools around, is creating this dir from root and why in the home of the user :exploding_head:

you said it worked lol (note: after reboot you will be asked AGAIN for the song setting, but thats because this time is going to save the configuration, so will not happen after the 2nd reboot)

1 Like

Hi!

Ok! I will test that tomorrow!

Salutations!

1 Like

Bonnui :wink:
(Francophone?)

1 Like

@Rebel450 by doing -nothing- your system will be upgraded :slight_smile: (elive-upgrader takes care of that 2 times per month), you can also run "apug" yourself and elive-upgrader will take care only about possible fixes needed

by other side, by only updating packages your system would not include all the possible fixes, 3.7.0 was a release with a good amount of things to fix, and some of them needs to be set from the installer for example (like the sudo configurations that enabled the brightness buttons to work)

also: by just reinstalling can include fixes/improvements (installer always updated), but some of them cannot be included; on this case, same example about the brightness buttons, it requires an updated version of elive-tools inside the system where it is installing, and this can only happen from a newer version, let's say 3.7.1 on this case. So the installer is updated but things from inside the system is not

in short, always upgrade your system to keep it updated with fixes, but to make sure you have all the functionalities / features / fixes / improvements, reinstall from time to time (migration mode should automate everything so you won't have to deal with new setups / user configurations)

Moi oui
MTL Canada

:evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::t_rex::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::runningfast::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree:

1 Like

Did Elive ever have Migration mode? I like that idea. I don't see that in majority of Linux distros. Do any of the Elive distros have that feature?