3.7.1 betatesting experiences

All the elive versions has this feature :slight_smile: , just boot a new ISO and run the installer, everything is guided and automated :applause:

We are talking about "upgrade" or "migration" mode? :thinking:
well, in any case has both modes :rofl2:

but the "migration" mode is not so tested (every distro uses a different setup), but the idea is basically to "convert your other distro to an elive one" (saving users, settings, etc)

then, that said...
would it not be especially for you as dev/maintainer more easy to put the major changes
into dist-upgrade
(don't beat me - just a thought of mine ...)

the thing is that "not everything is possible" by just including changes in teh packages, for example the installer runs a lot of administrative commands and configurations and stuff, packages doesn't include that

yes it is technically possible, but the amount of work requried for that would lead to a 100x times slower development of elive, and probably with more bugs than fixes lol

1 Like

then we stay with what we do now and reinstall the dot dot versions
until we are fine :nod:

1 Like

I've tried it twice (with shared Ubuntu USER on ext4) now but didn' it work. Just left me with wrong USER permissions so couldn't log in.
I didn't check thoroughly but had the impression that it had to do with different numberings for the USER.

Exactly. Same with Darwin, btw (Mac)

There are some differences between Ubuntu and Debian, just tiny details
but they are there... (e.g. naming Ubuntu = not case sensitive | Debian = case sensitive, ect, ect)

in the stable version of elive that not works because most of newer distros uses a non-compatible ext4 version (unreadable by elive 3.0) :applause: to ext*

but maybe its just a problem in the feature

this is included, but maybe is not working correctly :slight_smile: will be needed to betatest that (but better in a virtualmachine since we can go back to the previous state, reinstalling other distros is much more work)

I will need to do tests on that too... noted :work::work::work::work:

Sorry I forgot to add I was referring to 3.7.0 but did try with the stable 3.0 too and expectedly: that didn' t go well either. :mask:

ok, then we need to know where is the issue :slight_smile: the problem is now that the previous system doesn't exists anymore lol

or it is? :thinking: do you have an /etc copy of the old one in / ?

in any case, more specific details are needed to know where is the problem

which OS/version was, @triantares? i will try to download an iso and install in a vbox for test

me needs more ram, 8gb is not enough for (only) browsers & vboxes

@yoda did you tried the install with the Manjaro disk in 3.7.1 with reports enabled? to see what is doing with the MBR...

in any case, im working now on the UEFI support, but is not going to be easy....

Terminology is not translated at all !
O M G fuckin lot of work (e.g. 'Behavior' ---- oohh my) :omfg:

And how can we avoid that Bodhi will benefit from it,
when we translate our Terminology

• damn

ah no, don't like Bodhi

The only things that you can translate in eltrans is elive things, basically because its own software which its repackaged "on-house", so translations are re-incorporated bla bla...

For translate things that are not elive, you must send your translations to the author of the application itself, and like you said, everybody else will be benefited :slight_smile:

If im not wrong, eltrans includes an explanation of how to do that for Enlightenment itself (so the same apply to terminology and any other soft) , but i dont remember what it says :slight_smile: lol

just realized by myself.

Eltrans works a bit strange for me,
I am a bit experienced with Transifex
but no prob - needs a bit more time for the learning curve, but am ok so far

eltrans its an own tool :slight_smile:

Yep, i do (Clonezilla :happy:) still have a copy.
Do you really mean the whole /etc directory?

That was Ubnuntu 16.04 BTW. Still got another1:1 copy running on the yoga ideapad (the one with the gpt disk) on its /dev/sdb1.

Running out of time though, have to get up at 5.30 and sail to Zeebrugge, pack my hike stuff and vote (EU) then load my ship Friday, clean it and sail to Brugges. Next morning at six on the train to Austria for a week. Suspect you lot will be on 3.7.3 by the time. I'm back.

1 Like

me, I do really need an advise - what/who to vote for - no idea
seriously
our local candidates are all assholes

and I have to stop talking to my pillow at 5:30, too :frowning:

I wanted to vote Diem25 but they aren't on the Dutch lists (stupid actually why can' t I vote for someone in Germany?) but they are in Ger,many.

that's what I mean
all stupid crab...

yes, to use the tool "meld" (included in elive, amazing tool!), to compare the directories (or better just the files like passwd, shadow, group), to see if there's an issue with the UID's as you said

but it can be a slow task / process, maybe better that just me do tests here, also, efi stills better implementation

I think that ther's some "virtualbox images" that can be downloaded, ready to use images :thinking:

Somebody should publish elive images for those virtualized environments :happy: https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/elive-ready-to-use-in-downloadable-formats/1130

1 Like

putting an human to rule the world and with access to full power and money is the worst idea ever made... but of course was made by themselves lol

1 Like