@Thanatermesis
Ok I just tried again with the laptop
as you know
MSDOS partition was converted to GPT by installer
I created 2 X 250 MB partition for Boot and UEFI
1st partition of the SSD has windows and I created a 2nd partition for ELive

Installer asked for the EFI and BOot partition during install

Result, Laptop boot in ELive but WIndows 7 doesn't how in the GRUB Menu

If you want to continue to play with this non standard installation as WIn 7 was not installed in UEFI but now the laptop is in UEFI (no legacy, no secure boot) I am ok continuing playing if it is usefull to you

Else I'll reinstall WIn 7 properly in UEFI and then, try an Elive installation on the 2nd partition

Forget that comment
I am now back at around 6.5 GB LOL

I thought the public should know how difficult decisions are for us ...

Look:

OMG, 6,5GB RAM in use !?
what in the hell are you doing on your computer then, video editing or rendering or ... ?

I just closed Chromium that had several tabs opened too and I am now more at 5 GB

Just several application opened all the time on 2 screens
Thunderbird with 8 email accounts and some of the receiving "a lot of email" and THundirbird with rules sort those email in folder(

• browsers with several tabs
  • a lot of terminal windows ( should not take lot of memory)
  • dropbox
  • some other cool chat tool I use for the free 250 GB encrypted storage they give (keybase.io)
  • opera has several plugin enable ( whatsapp, messenger, etc)

That picture shows wich processed are taking more memory

I guess, you are doing without swap (?)

yes
as I have 16 GB

swap makes my computer entirely blocked when running out of ram (what a crappy invention! i think that should be much less suggested in Elive), but i have recently disabled it entirely and i still feel the desktop very laggy when doing high IO / HD tasks

since 3.7.2, uefi is included in the isos (not before), so you can (and should) boot with it, (not secure boot, that not works)

this is just what it does :slight_smile:

actually for the installer, it asks for all the required partitions, but if user has not it, it should start again the entire installer process (to reach the step 1: run the partitioner), I could add the option to add the partitioner as you suggest but this could lead to a very dangerous install (partition that you assigned at first can change after you repartition), so is much more secure to -only- run the partitioner at the start, not after adding / selecting partitions

no, for the eeepc, im searching for keywords including "eeepc" on it, but you should first try 3.7.3 which includes a better support for eeepc's :slight_smile: or at least should, maybe the extra eeepc package is not needed after all :thinking:

the pager? :thinking:

i changed the settings of the focus, but nothing related to the pager... it is not cairo-dock the issue?

yes it is possible, btrfs will probably require more resources, think on it like a complex database for your data, while reiser4 is an simpler, much more efficient storage for your data

included by default on 3.7.3 as an option to select by the user :slight_smile: :partying_face:

perfect! the installer went fine! :slight_smile:

so now your only problem is that windows doesn't boot, but as said, you need to perform a different install:

• windows was installed orginally in legacy-boot mode (non-efi boot mode), which problably means that windows is not compatible with that, so (possible) solution:
  • switch the bios to use legacy mode, boot 3.7.3 and install again elive (you don't need anymore the EFI partition so you can free it now)
  • it should recognize your windows install and hopefully you can boot from it now :slight_smile:

Cairo was not installed by me neither by you (your installer)

Approx 1 Gig of RAM less than with btrfs

I have not tested yet 3.7.3, is there any steps i can reproduce to see the pager's issue?

btrfs is a powerful but complex FS specially designed for huge computers, so i assume it could require more resources

Oopps I missed when installing

But it's ok... May be one day I will try again

I was having difficult to find the balance with E16 settings to accommodate Cairo to work..

When I was disabling something in e16, for Cairo to not bother me, later on I was noticing I needed what I disabled LOL Most were related to Focus

Don't know how to reproduce sorry

I think you missed smthg to Install for a proper function.
I updated the howto above, did you notice
?

yep, just use the new e16 configurations provided in elive, the focus behaviour should be better now :slight_smile:

so apug
and
elive-skel upgrade .e16

and I should be offer to install CairoDock ( access the optional component window) ?

i will give it a try again
JF

so:

• apug
  • delete all the old confs of cairo: .config/cairo-clock
  • install all the cairo-dock packages suggested by @Rebel450 on his howto
  • instead of elive-skel, you can go to the Settings and hit "restart desktop settings", which does all in a shot
  • in new desktop: disable all the fancies of cairo-dock you dont want to have
  • done :slight_smile:

?