3.7.3 betatesting experiences

This is the case if I leave the laptop open for a longer period of time and on battery.
I suspect it's not "suspend" but " hibernate" or hybrid-sleep that's the problem.:thinking:

This systemd stuff, so now I've changed the /etc/systemd/sleep.conf and set the hibernate delay to 180 min to test.
This lets the laptop suspend when closing the lid( or using the command "systemctl suspend" to invoke it) and awakes immediately when opening the lid. Will test later by invoking "hibernate" and/or "hybrid-sleep" but first I'll leave the machine awhile to see what gives. :innocent:

I'm not sure but I think having ext4 partitions (I migrated here) that need to be re-mounted after resume are part of the problem. The lost touchpad is exactly that: mouse (usb) and touch-screen keep their functionality.

If those changed settings work for me fine, if it doesn't: I will always have the option to mask hibernate and hybrid-sleep ( command: "sudo systemctl mask hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target" ) but don't know for sure what the effects are on my battery life.

ok tks
As for me, systemctl suspend and opening it back up t works ok. No touch Pad or any device problem

Same here. I'll try hibernate and hybrid-sleep now. Check the results and feedback to you so you can test
EDITING as I go:
systemctl hibernate works and requires the power button to awake. At first I thought the machine did a complete reboot (saw the boot logo and grub) but then cycles straight to where my I left off with all the open windows and widgets restored.
All my ttyś are restored too (I had tty1 to tty6 open) with checks on messages.

In both cases touchpad is fine, but tjhen this lost connection doesn't always happen.

systemctl hybrid-sleep awakes straight away into the desktop but not sure yet what itt'l do over longer period of time. ..... need to find some documentation there.:thinking:

Default settings are that suspend isn't maintained too long as it will consume battery power and eventually close down the laptop and thus require a shutdown, losing RAM content.
By invoking hibernate or hybrid-sleep after a certain period of time, everything is written to disk to prevent data loss.
It' s a feature not a bug. :nod:

1 Like

And now tell us pls:
IS THIS SPEFICIC COMPUTER HAVING SWAP ENABLED - OR NOT ? ? ?

Yes I am not much in pro in that but always though for hibernate to work, a SWAP file was required

1 Like

You wont believe this: It has 32Gb of swap space. :applause:

It's a 1Tb ssd in there and I just used some left over space for swap.
I've had the same issue on a few different laptops but all with enough swap.
Not sure where hibernation (in this case) is written to but swap would seem logical, though /tmp might be used too.:thinking:

Indeed, it never worked whithout swap by my experiences (on Ubuntu based 'distros').
I think on DeborahIan it will be the same.
Then, when it comes to fs with LVM it is a Kind of luck, when it works.
For Mac's with Linux on,
it bevaves exactly ad per your experience described above.

1 Like

:omfg:
Hey Bro,
You got a bunch of banknotes in your asspocket, ya .... :nod:

Nah, SSD's are dirt cheap these days.
It's a crucial MX500 SATA M2 1000Gb internal drive: €120,- via Amazon.de
On top: Being a Dutch firm, I get to deduct the German Vat. :w00t:

1 Like

My current e16 desktop using " country" theme in 3D on cairo dock and no pager as there is one on the dock. Actually conky is also unneeded, I never really look at it.

1 Like

"Actually conky is also unneeded, I never really look at it."

Why do you have conkey running then if you don't need it? Just curious.

is @Thanatermesis online yet?

It's been a while and no hear from him on the ELive forum

Does he need a new computer or laptop? Any vacation time due in?

A matter of priorities.

Just to busy looking up suspend, synaptics, libinput, d-bus, etc ..... to really care. :slightly_smiling_face:
e16 or whatever desktop is next phase, the system and installer has to be stable first.
To remove conky I either have to edit some files somewhere in .e16 or run the configurator again, where the latter will kill all my personal settings. :omgomgomg:

I think conkey is ran from one of the startup jobs. It just might have to be unselected. I've seen these selected for startup on other Debian distros and I just removed or unselected it. It is default selected on MX-18 Linux distro by default. I unselected it from the startup config.

I love it.... so if wat the exact same thing , is there some you too on the web / something not in elive ?

what it your country / 3D thing?

Amazin Desktop

If you -right click- on the dock, in the menu go to "cairo", "configure", then in the widget go to the -tab- " themes".
Choose or play with the themes. Then back to configuration where under appearance you can play with the look.

Cairo is really extremely configurable. :applause:

On a side note: My laptop awakes fine after 9 hours of suspend/sleep in the current configuration.

As for window themes, there are quite a few to be had on the web but most are very dated.
I'm using the "aqua" theme here and on some other machines the "spitfire" theme, where both are acceptable but frankly not good enought. Especially the -left click- menu I find horrific, the menu that opens through the dock (gnome) has a much nicer. look and feel.
If we want to keep using e16 as the base Desktop we'll have to come up with some of our own.

1 Like

Hello!

He gets a big data problem with a BTRFS crash; Wrote about it yesterday here: https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/how-to-recover-from-a-btrfs-crash-failure/1206...
So it's surely not "vacation time", but more "cold sweat moratorium"!!!
Wishing him good retake & back to Zen with e.g. reiser4!

Salutations!

2 Likes

Anobody found a way to -lock screen- on 3.7.3 and e16
Ctrl+L doesn't work neither does the dock entry. :disbelief:

1 Like

Cairo does this job, too.
(and also all the other missing things like loudness, brightness, battery monitor, ect...)

1 Like