3.7.3 betatesting experiences

I will wait for 3.7.4 to " upgrade " my system

of install cairo manually that never installed when I clean installed 3.7.3

Yes Cairo, solve different problems ( good calendar/time icon, sound/brightness display, and as for locking the system, cool I will take a look at that on my 2 laptops.

On my laptops it doesn't.
I suspect cairo uses org.gnome.desktop hooks which aren't all available yet.
I can make CTRL+L key combo useable, I think. Was just wondering if others were using something I hadn't found yet.

Thanks! I did not see that. Thats explains it. Sorry to hear that one. I know what it is to lose computer data. I have plenty of backups now so that never happens to me ever again.

Look here pls:

Nope, doesn' t work for me, not even after installing both plugins ...... can you 100% confirm it actually works for you in 3.7.3 e16?
i.e try it now.

Hereby I do actually confirm as per your request in full, Sir.

By the way:
Firefox Quantum (latest Release) is working on 373_a.
It's flashing fast, btw ! :nod:

You have to use Synaptik to get All Things needed.

Yeah, but on 3.7.3 it came along with the installer, so I didn't install it myself..... I'm testing so I do not want to deviate too much from the original.

If this were the finished product I'd certainly jump through some hoops to configure it all 100% my way.
So either I come up with an applicable soution to the alpha (like the "onboard" setting for lightdm) or I leave it and wait for the next release.

1 Like

Can you give met the output of "apt-cache showpkg cairo-dock" ?

exactly the same thing for me... Usually I don't care much reinstalling and reinstalling and reinstalling but now I tired LOL My 3 systems are stable with 3.7.3 and i will wait for 3.7.4 and will try to not mess up my system

1 Like

Yes, Sire - of course:

A few days ago, I had to use my former Manjaro XFCE Desktop Environnement and now, back on ELive 3.7.3 / Reiser4. I wantedto say again that :
my Desktop is faster, more stable, less glitches using an Alpha version of Elive than using Manjaro XFCE.

For some E16 is may be an old environment, but for the it's the most efficient DE I have used. I even think I won't install Cairo Dock.

We all have different PC, tastes for a Desktop Environnement and it is important to respect everyone opinions...

But after 40 years approx using GUI, the actual config I have is my preferred one...

1 Like

What do you mean with "more stable" pls?
Is your Xfce on Manjaro crashing?

Most distro I have used, after opening this and that, doing this and that at some point, there is some kind of memory leak or I don't know what, forcing me having to " RESTART".

So yes, the computer become unresponsive and/OR slow, forcing me to reboot

With Debian/Elive , I have experienced that, a lot less.

Not very precise as a description but this represent, my linux experience of other distros...

1 Like

Mhmm .
Never encountered here, especially not on Xfce - and am doing a lot of tasks, also 'weired' ones....

1 Like

Hi!

Continuing some tests, here on eeePC 1001xp (2Gb RAM) 3.7.3 E22 & USB/persistant mode:
Launched redshift, swapoff, conky, by Terminology...
Installed Tor, Vivaldi, Yandex (from witch I'm writing right now) all going well except some download windows that are too big and impossible to size down, even with the alt+pad trick, because in the poping menu, there is not the "resize with keyboard" option (that come sometimes in a context I didn't find for now)!
Having to stop the mouse in the borders & change screens only with the bar or keyboard shorts...

Salutations!

2 Likes

Confirmed.
Same also on bigger screens like Acer Aspire 5750G

Hello!

On my Precision's I'm thinking about -off course install fresh Elive- but testing Mint transformation to Elive, and CAELinux as well... Mint should be easy, CAE possibly more difficult due to the fact that it's an already integrated & optimized system (and I didn't know it really for now)...
A question: In order to, in the same time, fit this "new" installation with reiser4 (originally on ext4), what should be the best way for doing it..?
I imagine to do brand new install of those directly with reiser4 before transfiguration by Elive, but the "best" problem is to morph already used/fitted/setted systems to Elive/reiser4..!

Salutations!

1 Like

@Thanatermesis will be the best to reply I think, he's traveling presently but you should be getting an answer "soon"