3.7.3 betatesting experiences

Now that my desktop is stable and very functional on one screen I would like to add Cairo-Dock to play with it

As you install it on new installs @Thanatermesis I suppose there is some script I can run that will install all the necessary package and Cairo customization ?

Was not able to install it on my Desktop and I am being very cautious on this PC LOL

hum, this sounds strange, I don't know if something from the updates -could- actually trigger that... but first of all: was your e16 uninstalled from your system?

dpl | grep e16

see the installed packages starting with "ii"

if they are installed, you should be able to select it in the login manager, even if i dont know what could have caused to -change- this default :thinking:

yeah this update of lightdm (login-manager) has a less intuitive / reachable way to select your WM, damn...

much MUCH more intuitive this way, and also features a lot of improved apps (like the problem of @Rebel450 with xchat, where the launcher was wrongly assigned), these apps should be now the same 95% as in teh stable version and with the same compatibilities / features

feature added too :applause: (like other ones!)

there's a few steps needed to do that, but since 3.7.4 will include much fixes and improvements:

I suggest to just install 3.7.4 over (migration mode install)

still working on it! :slight_smile:

@zbd: i have finally found the cause of your issues with your 1GB RAM machine, the cause was the newer versions of APT, which required a lot more of HD data when you update it, in short, the installer updates apt package lists in live mode to update the installer, which caused your RAM usage grow in 300MB, and finally leaving your computer out of ram (blocked / bottlenecked)

Forget 3.7.3 and previous versions, I have been working in a full rewrite of the installer updating feature and will be included in 3.7.4, so let's wait for the 3.7.4 version (which im going to test in a 1GB RAM machine first too) and the issue should be finally solved :slight_smile:

Also, I have optimized some internal tools on elive and the installer, which should be faster, please tell me if you notice any speed difference with the installer of 3.7.4 @Rebel450 @triantares @yoda (yes, not updating your installer, you must use it from 3.7.4 directly)

3 Likes

I really dont want to install again my Production machine / Desktop

In update/Upgrade mode, do I loose all my software configurations, Thunderbird ( with tons of account) ? I have a bunch of configured software on that LOL

On the 2 laptop, I am looking forward to run 3.7.4

I did not migrate.

thank you

no, you won't :slight_smile: the installer takes care about all that correctly

UNLESS! there's a missing thing lol (on such case, report me it so that I can make sure the next version will not break your configs) :slight_smile:

So yeah, you should not worry, all your confs should be managed correctly, but i cannot guarantee that in a 100%, if you have a messed up config you should have a backup of that file like .something .old , but of course, the best is to have a backup of everything... if you have a clone of your disk important info (just in case) is the ideal

you can also try to set up a thunderbird conf in the testings machine to verify that its maintained

1 Like

which install you did? "auto partitioning" ? i should made another test with autologin..

@stoppy98 cannot reproduce, it doesn't happens to me, if i "uncheck" the "autologin" box in user creation, from a clean + autopartition install, it does not autologin on desktop

Awesome...I tried again last night different combinations of file system (EXT4, BTRFS, etc) but struggling still - will await 3.7.4.

1 Like

i partitioned it by my self (i had to add the boot thing)

idk i will reinstall i may be mistaken... i am having some troubles that evidently are not reproduceable ahahah it's already the third one!

wait for 3.7.4, it will include extra fixes & improvements, and also a faster installer (hopefully, please comments :slight_smile: i dont do much tests in real machines for dev)

hum, which ones? maybe you have errors (badblocks) in your ram ?

1 Like

Damn, those netbooks are really a painful device lol, they are really slow... I wonder if other distros are so slow too, im going to do multiple tests and comparisons :thinking:

i must use the Topaz version, like @yoda which reported it to be very fast :slight_smile: or even better, the 1.0 Gem one lol, this can be a fast experience

The only distro that was fast enough on my small slow HP 2 gig laptop was https://www.bunsenlabs.org/

But now with 3.7.x it's... The other Elive would not work properly on that laptop (touchpad and other things too)

But 3.7x seemsto work very well for me on that small laptop, will keep you up to date

Yoda
I tried Lubuntu, xUbuntu, and so many distro on that laptop LOL

Thanks, i will use this one for tests too. Which version you used btw? 32 bit / 32bit pae / 64 bit?

yeah these new builds includes much newer software and drivers :slight_smile: im just wondering if the movement from Wheezy to Buster (yes, this is a giant movement) made the system more bloated. So I will do a few tests to see if something can be improved, in fact due to the added optimizations I made on the last months it should be even more fast than 3.0, but that's the optimization side (over the system)... not the "system" itself

how is your experience in speed with 3.7 compared to 3.0 @yoda ?

I love e16 on my Fast Work desktop (16 GB Ram, 2 SSD drive, i7). If someone remove ELive from this PC I will bite :disbelief:.

I prefer Enlightenment to Gnome, KDE, XFCE and other environnement I tried (to name a few) But it's me..

Elive seems more stable for me, than other Debian or Ubuntu distros I tried on the same PC.

Since I am not multi-screen anymore, it'S even smoother... I don't care that e22 is released 2019.

As for the laptops :

• Fast Dell : Elive 3.7.x is perfect ( dual boot with win 7)
  • slow laptop that I use when relaxing in the living room (32 GB SSD and 2 Gig Ram) I never used ELive until 3.7.x and it seem to go perfectly well ... https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05281422
  • As for the very old Acer 32 bits laptop,. I don't use it most of the time, it has the older 3.0.x version of ELive and the few times a year I use it, it works well)

Yopa

2 Likes

@Thanatermesis
Just opened my HP laptop (2 GNB one) with the last updates
Calc
Writer
Opera
opened and

taking 852 MB of RAM out of the 2 GB. It's perfect

Did you tweak or doing some magic related to how much RAM apps are taking ?
Can this be managed by some advanced config ?

I am surprised of how well 3.7.3 runs on it...

Always! :slight_smile:

I have yesterday working on the installer to make it a little faster, and today I'm im proving other things for the next 3.7.4 to become lighter in ram usage too

Doing now tests on crappy nettops and trying to move 3 daemons in a single one :dance:

:japanese_ogre: + :japanese_ogre: + :japanese_ogre: = :japanese_ogre:

:runningfast::runaway::runningfast:

2 Likes

LOL cool

My Pizza/RedWine/Netflix 3.73 test

• opera open
  • firefox for netflix

PC almost freezed LOL

rebooted and ran only FireFox to stream a movie while eating ( Work/fun can go togheter...Else ou must reevaluate your life) and everything was going well....

DOn't know why PC became " almost" unresponsive.

CTRL + End : didn't fixed so I rebooted. Yest I could Alt + CTRL F1 TTY

Someoone on the chat told me the temperature of his PC was going higher with ELive. I don't know if it is useful or apply to most people but I am reporting it

Yoda

out of ram, swap is meant to help but im not convinced, out of ram is out of ram

those bloated web browsers... damn

in 3.0 ? well, is needed to know -what- is causing cpu consumption

I ask the guy to report it in the forum. you'll see in the IRC CHat Archive.
He sais he would.