3.7.3 betatesting experiences

@yoda: from your reiser4 machine, can you tell me the result of this?

sudo du -hs /etc

what is it ?
206M /etc

@Thanatermesis
I like that I now have apps notifications ( good looking) in the systemtray !

Atom back then were not such a good value for moneyā€¦. unlike new one. i bought a tablet in 2017 and ehy that quad core atom is pretty much good (Windows 10 is smooth af). sometimes i even have better experiences with it rather than with my notebook! Except for games of course.

I Always found lubuntu really disappointing.
Q4os with 2gb ram and a weak cpu Always gave me great results. @Thanatermesis

in my opinion it's not so immediate understanding if it got slower due to the different desktop environment. For what it does not concern it, i did not see much difference in speed. Except for Firefox, the new version of Firefox feels way snappier but that's not related to the OS.

I don't like e16 and e17 when comes to plugging my phone, it never got recgnized in the right way so i cannot transfer files over it @Thanatermesis

May it be due to the hardware acceleration for the desktop? i noticed my laptop gets way hotter than with Windows and i think it may be because the desktop uses the gpu which of course it usually causes more heat than using the cpu only (or at least my ati does. i could fry some chips on it).

On my laptop, the Pager appear under Cairo Dock
If I had not quit Cairo Dock,I would not have seen the VD (Virtual Desktop) pager
Not a bing thing but if you can default the pager higher, problem fixed

To show, I moved it half whay of where it was :

1 Like

I thought I read somewhere about access to beta testing but can't find the link.
How would I request this access to obtain a beta testing download link?

@Thanatermesis are you in Beta for everyone ? Or 3.7.4 will be alpha ?

@Thanatermesis tks I am now using that to pause and wake up my screen

Wasn't it already included in the GUI of e16 ? ELse I think something like that could be usefull ?
And I didn't look that much, but can we "LOCK " the session easily ? Didn't find ...

How is it going for 3.7.4 @Thanatermesis

• fixes ?
  • new features or surprises ?

Can we assume that Thanatermesis is gone for summer vacation? or MIA (Missing In Action) ? I have not seen a post in several days now!

I too would like to know how it is going for 3.7.4 :thinking:

@Thanatermesis was distracted by some technical unexpected problems with his own computers and it took all his head.

He'll be back soon :slight_smile:

than, I hope the way I said it is ok :rainbowyay:
:laugh:

1 Like

Hello everybody,

I have a very good news, after checking with lscpu | grep mode it's seems that both my 2012 HP Mini (Intel Atom 2600N) and my 2007 Acer Aspire 5310 (Celeron M) supports 64 bit!!!!

I try to run 373 in HP (5 years "newer" than Acer) but installers says me that I have a 32-bit CPU and it ends.... strange....

But in the other way, I start live system in Acer and it's goes!!!!!!

Even faster than 306 with only 1 GB RAM and default start (sensed to be for >3GB RAM PC).

I'm actually installing it in my HDD so I will can report my experience and bugs!!!! (I found one, first time installer says "unable to crypt your HDD with this password and ends, second one it crypted my HDD with the same password than first one, in BTRFS compressed system, automatic partition).

So I'll try to work as much as possible with 373 to help you to improve final system, I was affright to test it in my wife's PC and crash something because she needs it to work, but as I can install it in my old Acer laptop I can play and crash as much as times as necessary with no pain (thanks to Unison)

I'm the happiest man at the world at this moment!!!!!!!

3 Likes

You'll be surprised, I discovered unison thanks to Samuel and now it's my favourite application to manage and range thousand of files merged by years between several computers and HDDs

2 Likes

TKs for the feedback
Samuel also push hard on me about unison and I started to learn it.
I ordered a 4 TB USB drive as a backup to my Cloud Backup and will receive it today

As I am 51, 3 boys, I am very techno and them too, and along the years stored so many data, may be unison will be the thing I was looking for.

• computer data
  • old sony camera movies I took when kids where young
  • pictures

Like You I have so many files...

and by moving data around from Dropbox, to GoogleDrive to keybase.io (free 250 gig), I found a way to loose pictures & video of one of the trip we loved so much.... gone.

SO with my 4 TB USB drive, I will put everything there in one place, to clean up / sort my Data... And once done, will put back some of it on the cloud...

1 Like

I leave my first feedback not so pratique because I'm trying to install 373 in a 12 years old Acer with 1,6 Ghz CeleronM and 1GB RAM.

Livesystem seems to works OK (not so much time tested), but installer it's working for more than 12 hours (since yesterday at 15:00 PM, now in France it's 8:00 AM) I have Xterm with messages of purging, processing triggers et items that are been deleted (installing and removing unnecessary paquets) that seems runs well but very slow. I'll leave it their time to see if it really finish the installation.

I'm doing that in a 80 GB HDD, leaving Elive make an automatic partitioning, full HDD, BTRFS and without encryption. I tested first with encryption bat I have sometimes a message that says "Unable to encrypt with this password. Leaving installer", if I try 2 or 3 times the encryption finally seems work (always with the same password that bug sometimes, that is a simple password, no capital letters, no numbers, no special characters), so I preferred finally test with HDD not crypted.

I read that @Thanatermesis are improving alpha 374 for a low RAM system, maybe those improvements helps my system, but that is strange for me it's that livesystem (start with default options sensed to be for at least 3GB RAM and E16) seems to works "fine", it's the installation process itself that takes a big time lapse (but it is't frozen, it runs, but very, very slow, all night and still working this morning)..... wait and see for installed system (if installation finally ends OK, I doesn't know actually).

In any case, I'm very happy because I doesn't expect that my laptop were be able to run Elive 64bit, and Acer does. HP should do also (Intel Atom 2600N it's sensed to be a 64bit CPU) but livesystem says me that I have a 32bit CPU..... why???

As installation ends I'll give you my report.

Nice day to everybody.

1 Like

Seems your machine ran out of RAM.
I doubt that the installation will finish,
and If - probably with a not usable system.
This 64bit installer was tailored for better equiped machines with at least 2GB RAM, I guess.
Next:
If you have an IntelĀ® CeleronĀ® M Prozessor 420 (?)
these processors are not 'clean' 64bit, they emulate for processing 64bit instructions,
means: This is not a real 64bit Prozessor.
Your hardware specs are needed, try $ lshw from a live system or so

That might be due to a bad HD. At what point does the installer slow down, in your opinion?
On a side note: 3.7.3 now supports "reiser4" which IMO is a better choice (less buggy) than BTRFS.

There are some (el cheapo) CPU's out there that identify as 64bit but apparently only have 32bit capabilities. You might want to check that out for your specific brand, via a search.

@triantares
How can we add ppa ?

Conky says that I'm using only 27% RAM (less than 300 MB)

I'll leave more time and if install doesn't finish I'll do that

Maybe, but with 3.0.6 release this HDD was normally 100% clean.... for installer.... more than 15 hours isn't normally, isn't it? :sniff:

Next install I'll try with reiser4 to see. My idea is to try as much as things as possible to give @Thanatermesis the best feedback possible in this old machine.... I'm a poor guy with a cheapest hardware... :disbelief:

Wait still for some hours, I'll go to make weekly shopping and I'll wait for result when I come into home at midday...

1 Like

On 3.7.3? Don't !!!! :disbelief:

Adding a 3rd party ppa is asking for all kinds of dependency hell and ........ as this is alpha testing:
Would create all sorts of "new" problems that aren't very specific.

Other than that, if you insist:
"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:SpecificName" where SpecificName is the repo name like "ppa:niko2040/e19" or such. Do NOT use that e19 repo BTW !
You might need to import the security key yourself, tho.
On top those repos need to be specifically aligned for Buster, and most (if not all) are not.

2 Likes