3.7.6 betatesting experiences

Hello!

I made a new little test: on my eeepc 1001px, with is currently under 3.0, and in the particular class with 64bits but 2Gb ram max...
It's about playing videos, using vlc: on the 3.0, if the memory is quite rarely fully used, the cpu(s) tends to 100%, and some films are unseen able due to some glitches... With 3.7.6 (64bits), no problems, cpu(s) near 50%, fluid even in accelerated reading, x4 with sound, and so to x30 where cpu(s) reach 100% on a long 4hours video...
Will probably lead same test tomorrow with 3.7.6(32bits)...

Salutations!

1 Like

Hi,
so - when I put it all together -and in case that I'd understood you right -
e16 = no, because it will lack features
e17 = no, because it is not well developed yet
e22 = no, because it is not finished yet
e... = ??

so, with what will we come out then, pls ?

and why can we not put efforts on e17 instead on e16 -
when it comes to work on it anyway - (I know, you explained earlier, that there is a lot of work with it, but seriously Elive 32bit 3.x was much more impressive as the - how old meanwhile - e16, no?

see here pls: 3.7.6 betatesting experiences - #80 by Rebel450

@Thanatermesis
@Rebel450

I too wanted to ask, Why E17 was not the one that should have been the focus to alpha/beta development instead of E16? We had for the 32bit version and all the good features why it was not brought to the 64bit development? Seems we went backwards, no?

@Terry_Rosinski;
E17 was not the one that should have been the focus to alpha/beta

Well... @Thanatermesis explained earlier that it is very tricky -
(for reasons that I don't understand, since am not a developer)

:pleading_face:

no-icons for the e16 menu cannot be fixed, that's because e16 don't use xdg standards for the menus but its own tool, we should ignore these issues entirely since these menus are already good (if anybody can improve it, must edit / modify the perl script that generates them)

the only menu that we need to check that is correctly made, is the one in e17 or cairo-dock (they use the same system)

thats the version provided by debian buster

but if you use ubuntu bionic it is even older :man_shrugging: (6.0.3 vs 6.1.5)

and that's an example of reason of why we should not wait "too much time" to release elive

it works, just verified
press "g" key and enter "google.com"

these ones has been the default in elive for 15 years, its much more handy to move the mouse to focus without need to click on the window, and to always having the new windows focused so you can directly use them, without need to move your hand to the mouse, then move it, and then come back to the keyboard, its an usability improvement for a much more efficient workflow & usability :slight_smile:

fixed / improved for next builds (or new confs)

iconbox == iconified windows widget, you have already it, try to minimize your windows to see it

you cannot create / have more than one

mmh, never seen this issue in my machines :thinking:

backgrounds of e16 works correctly here :thinking:, i need more details

that's indeed a bug that should be fixed for a more public release

e22 or e23, but this will require a ton of work :work::work::work::work::work:

because e17 is older, deprecatedm, etc than e22... has a lot of things not working, so is better to follow new versions / code and adapt our needs to it - now, e16 is a much different code which still works correctly today and doesn't even depends on EFL, so its a temporal & working alternative (nobody stops us to still use it in the future too, its a good, solid and light desktop)

yes it is :slight_smile: i know it, and much more featured

so as said before, e16 is at the moment a (nice) alternative that allows us to use an updated elive system with newer drivers, browsers, 64bit, etc... and that's of course why its called alpha or beta, until everything is ready and polished for a next "elive experience" (impressive like 3.0, even if not much people knew about it :thinking:)

because is too much broken / incompatible / not working

you can verify this yourself by running "api e17" and login in e17, many things will not work (even if looks like correctly working in a first moment)

e16 is not exactly backwards, its a different desktop which stills up to date and working (but less featured, yeah), as said before, its now just a temporal alternative of a stable environment to use

composite not works, special effects not works, google chrome not shows, cpu becomes stuck at 100% half of the times, desktop is 3 times slower, systray widget not works (where minimized icons of applicatios are shown), etc... pretty unusable and buggy experience

1 Like

[quote="Thanatermesis, post:85, topic:1255"]
the only menu that we need to check that is correctly made, is the one in e17 or cairo-dock (they use the same system)
[/quote] :omfg: :shocked:

HA!
:nanana: :applause: :smiley14:
NOW I GOTCHA ! ! ! ha ha ha -

this is how you tick -
and that's why you didn't drop Cairo although we told you
that Cairo is not the path we should walk on further ....

so so - you are using it as a laboratory rat we are the vicarious agents LOL

Means: You are already working on a better solution
hush - in the dark background - without saying one word ......

you are a sweet, clever ba..... - ! :smiley14:

OK - I am with you !
(although I totally disagree with: "default in elive for 15 years, its much more handy to move the mouse to focus" = :face_vomiting: :rage: :disbelief: :eyepopping: )

I love that default that move focus on new window without having to click... For me it's just common sense

1 Like

it drives me fully MAD -

click, piong tsang tsung and 5 unwanted fuckin windows are open....

:laugh:

mhm, ya ....
everyone does not like the same soup -

but for this feature you don't need Elive;
nearly every DE has it {THANK GOD NOT BY DEFAULT}
especially Xfce has very extended options for it, btw

:smiley14:

I see the logic in that.
So let's iron out the bugs in e16 ASAP (leave e17/e22 for later) and make the whole thing ready to show to the world. :smiley14:

2 Likes

“Network-Manager-Applet” inside a “systray” stops to respond on mouseclicks after a while<

It ALWAYS happens since 372 ( !!! ??! )

Maybe it is in relation with
'can not connect to hidden wlan' = NetworkManager crashes, needs :
sudo service network-manager restart

???

@Thanatermesis
FYI: Tonight while updating with APUG indications reveal that the system debian is now shifted from Testing to Stable and so the repositories are not synced. Please change them so that we can get the updates. Attached is a pic of the notice from APUG.

Screenshot_2019-07-06_23-08-03

2 Likes

can someone remind me if we can choose, using an App (GUI) the default applications we want to use for music, web etc ?

Or we need to go the debian way ?

Elive 3.x official had it when I remember right (?),
but in the Alpha 376 I also can not find it anymore ..... :shocked:

@triantares, do you know the way out here ?

I know where is the config text file for that
/home/yoda/.local/share/applications/defaults.list

but there must be an easier way.

I tried to righ click open with other app approach and set the application I want (example SMPlayer for video) and click set as default but, without success

@Thanatermesis

do YOU know what to do here ?
what is your suggestion, pls ??

There's no hurry! :innocent:
Wait for @Thanatermesis to update or if you're in a real hurry ... add/remove the changed repositories yourself with add-apt-repository.
"man add-apt-repository" for more info.

1 Like

dunno which ones are the right ones

so
elive sleeps here until ... ?
Good night

did someone tried to copy large file (1 to 4 GB ) from a reiser partition to an external drive ?

My USB stick is Fat32
I was copying some movies before a road trip, and it seems like being way to slow them from my PPC (reiser) to USB ( Fatt32)

I know we had some issue with large USB external drive formated in Reiser but not with copying " Large files " from a reiser formatted drive to some external drive ( Fat 32)

Will do more test when I come back