3.7.6 betatesting experiences

Thank you.

Good for Mac hardware users in any case.

On Linux though the Command key exchanges with the crtl key as per Debian default.
Btw.

Yes, I figured you would know that part...sorry:wink:

1 Like

we are mixing things...

1. you don't need to
  2. we are saying "better option", but you still can use gui

now, more specifically about e16, there's not a screenshot gui unless you install it, the screenshot gui is in e17,wich captures a window or the screen and also uploads your screenshot in Elive Screenshots , so since e16 is not e17, -that- screenshot feature is not included by default (but still having the nice and handy elive-screenshot tool, which you can use pretty good with hotkeys)

not sure which is the default, but you can configure it in any (and others) mac keyboard options:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

and if im not wrong, elive already configures it with a special setting :wink: so you should be hte first one to know if is correctly configured this way lol

(pst ... I was teasing them because they made me upset and mad with"knowing everything better" but then, they do not have an idea when it comes to 'Millers Columns')

:mwahaha:

Installer Updates:

I was able to reproduce the issue that @triantares recently had, the cause was that the installer detected the disk as "busy" when the Live mode used a swap partition (automatically) from it. This is now fixed, the installer correctly deals with these cases now, and this bug wont happen again

There's also other small misc different fixes and low-resources improvements in the installer made

1 Like

I don't think so, the installer doesn't make a difference ( no show of Mac iso or Mac UTF)
but I will not try out so soon,
the Macs are my production machines...

Another thing
that you already think about as long you are relaxing :wink:

Multi Language support (with keyboard locals) is not available /
adding a second language not possible(???) Did not find.
Why?
For example my wifi is native French speaker, me German.
If we would want to use the same NoteBook, we would need this feature.
( in the past we really did so, and she attached an AZERTY USB keyboard, it worked very well, btw.)

not the installer, even from the Live mode, your keyboard should be configured in a more friendly way (for mac computers)

in fact, just run the Live mode and:

cat /etc/default/keyboard

you will see that it has special settings for your "mac mode"

that is more featured in e17+, not so easy in e16 even if stills possible

its a complex thing with e16 but again, you cannot do it in the same easy / integrated way as in e17+
(and so, that's another example / point about why e16 should be not released as a stable release of elive, it will lack features :wink: ) @yoda @triantares

api xfce4-screenshooter

@Thanatermesis
@Rebel450
@triantares

So I have to ask especially @Thanatermesis, our developer, if you implement the program application above to work in versions going forward wouldn't that meet the need for default user? Especially those who come from the Windows PC world. I use both command keys and GUI. This way we don't have to remember to type the API command to install it if we forget. Just trying to think like the default average user does :wink:

Actually we were talking about this earlier,
the decision is still on @Thanatermesis - if he want to offer it as per default on fresh installed system or not,
at least in the forum is a hint to find in "useful applications" or similar.
The good thing on xfce4-screenshooter is, that it is not installing other stuff on the system.

(api stands for apt-get install, sorry MORE SHORTCUTS TO LEARN ha ha lol rofl

on Elive you may use aliases for commands, which is useful,
apu apt-get update
apug apt-get upgrade
api apt-get install
and so on)

yeah, xfce4-screenshoter is light and friendly and useful

i will include it for the next build (builds with e16), so it will appear under the Utilities menu, and still having the hotkeys available with the super-amazing-better-than-anyone-else elive-screenshot tool :wink:

1 Like

................... mhm..... :nod: :ohmygod:

= R O F L

We will need to discuss this in a serious way (this time) :wink:
@triantares
@yoda
@Thanatermesis :

Scheduled for timeline at end of July, confirm pls :wink:

yeah, xfce4-screenshoter is light and friendly and useful

i will include it for the next build (builds with e16), so it will appear under the Utilities menu, and still having the hotkeys available with the super-amazing-better-than-anyone-else elive-screenshot tool

@Rebel450
@triantares
@Thanatermesis

Thank You, Good decision!

• The only thing I liked from the screen recorder you'll add to Elive, is the IMGUR thing

Else than that :

• i love the elive screen saver... Fast, simple and efficient.
  • human are habit creatures, I smile when reading @Rebel450 post about GUI vs keyboard junkies.

I was used to Amiga, first Mac, I was a mouse / GUI person...

WHen getting in touch with Linux years ago and later with @Thanatermesis , the Keyboard Junkie that type faster than his own shadow, I was asking for this and that and this and that as coming from the Mac World, then then Windows world....

After 1 years or 2 of using keyboard shortcut for almost anything/everything , I would not return to my mouse for everything in the world... Yes I do use a mouse but my migration to keyboard junkie too, make me take a side... It is so much easier, faster, efficient, etc

But its is ok that some prefer a GUI, menus, and we need to think to them ...

@Thanatermesis it is true your screen capture tool is the best I used LOL
You say I can record video !!! ? I didn't know what is the key combination

@Thanatermesis already answered this but the feature should definitely be on the list of e16 suggested improvements and maybe integrated into a dedicated settings tool.

1 Like

Confirmed.
But for me (e.g.) it is welcome as an option,
but not as a 'have to do so' - because
for me (!) I work on several platforms and it is becoming too much then.
I already have to deal with shortcuts from:
Mac, Photoshop, Indesign, then apt-get,
terminal (Darwin), terminal Linux.... and, and
:shocked:
That's why...

1 Like

BTW
Here's a keyboard solution:

Hi!

In E16 menu, a little sometime irritating thing is that the mouse is "too much" on Terminal and run it a bit "automaticly"...
And to let a screenshot in the Nvidia thread, I had to use xfce4 sreenshooter to have what wanted (tried first with the native Elive's with "Loose"Key+Z, CTRL+PrtScn...)
And a trick with Cairo-Dock: Would like to have it vanish when no use, comes when, say, letting the mouse one second or so in the bottom of the screen... For now, it reacts, but staying behind an eventual window... Sould be in this case in front, but in pref's, I didn't find the correct way to set it... Just want it on demand with the mouse...

Salutations!

Hello!

An other thing: when configuring Cairo-Dock, configure window opened, I got "mouse hazard": when moving the mouse (cursor), it jump at some places in the window itself, or the Cairo-Dock reacting when the mouse is only moving upon the config' window (witch is well separated at this moment from the bar itself)...

And when moving or closing windows, swapping "screen", got fantomatic frames staying on the screen...

:thinking:

REF: 3.7.6-betatesting-experiences _64bit

I will take time now to create
an constructive bug/error/ - improvable design - report
for @Thanatermesis ;
I have set the following criteria as follows:

• First impression of first run after fresh install - with
    Desktop Environment:
    Elive
    Enlightenment
    Cairo*

• Behavior and appearance of (default) applications, like
    appearance (window borders, changeable outlook) saving dialog boxes

• Dialog boxes

• Translations (German)

• Haptics of handling with
    NetworkManager (BUGGY)
    mount additional (local) discs and partitions

MORE SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME HERE

Then

• a better default setup for Enlightenment (e16)
  • a better default setup for Cairo-Dock -
    with creating a* Cairo-Dock Theme to save and load

Bare metal installation on a very common type of a Desktop PC:
|| AMD A8 | 4GB RAM | SSD _ GUID GPT REISER4 {root partition} |
ATI / AMD shared onboard graphics | wlan | LAN | USB2 | USB3 |
Audio in/out & digital audio out | 2x DVD-RAM | 1x SSD | 1x conventional hard drive ||

I made the partitioning of the SSD intentionally a bit tricky :
{no UEFI mode}

First session:
Bug Report

Elive Menu:
(All the icons in the sub-menus are not rendered well; looking like from last decade)
Audio > Mixxx & MusicBrainz = no icon
Elive > Install Silverlight = no icon
Game > is still in Elive Menu though no games installed
Network > links2 = seems not working (?)
Office > LibreOffice is not up to date
Utility > unison = no icon
Video > cin & Flowable Movie Editor = no icon

Enlightenment:
*FIRST OF ALL – PLS! Change the default *
*from „Focus follows Mouse-pointer“ to „Focus follows Mouseclick“ *
and uncheck “all new windows gets focus immediately”

Bug:
Creating of „Phantom Shadows“ of formerly closed windows on the desktop as long (as per default) ‚shadows‘ in Composite settings is enabled,
change to ‚no shadows‘ solves this issue
Bug: (? Or I am just blond ?)
Iconbox created = nothing can be done/changed with it, can’t even remove it anymore…
Bug:
‘create systemtray’ sometimes not working (seems to be Theme related?)
Bug:
“Network-Manager-Applet” inside a “systray” stops to respond on mouseclicks after a while; Theme issue? (same with other applets)
Bug:
Enlightenment/Themes:
23ozglass looking bad / no sound = can’t work
Bug:
Enlightenment/Desktop/
Backgounds = not working
Bug:
Enlightenment/ ‘go to former Desktop’ = kills the Wallpaper = black background

(enough for today will continue a bit later, stay tuned)