Ableton live 11 midi track music software

Happy New year to you all.
Im about to get a small midi keyboard.
It uses Ableton live 11 to create tracks and to adjust parameters on the keyboard. They dont have a dedicated linux package. It seems people have got it working through Wine however I have never got anything to work on Wine I cant even find it on the computer. It appears other software which is linux based can run the keyboard but Im not sure how good it is. Before I buy the keyboard I wanted to see if any of you guys have any advice.

I don't know what keyboard you're getting, but the Worlde Easy Key 25 worked well for me. No idea how good it is for the price, since I was given it by a friend, but I do know that it worked fine. Even if I was using software that didn't detect it, the "aconnectgui" program (available with "api aconnectgui") allowed me to patch it together manually.

Assuming that the keyboard just shows up as a generic MIDI controller it should work out of the box.

As for Wine, try running "wine explorer.exe" (without the quotes) from the terminal and see if that works. If not, it's probably not installed.

1 Like

Great, thanks. It looks like there are various options to get it patched in. Im not great at computer software issues but I am slowly getting there.

Hello!

In case you didn't see that:

https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/sequencers

In french:

Salutations!

1 Like

Excellent links. It gives more more to study. Im sure one of the DAWS will do the job.

Hello!

Please report how you deal with it!
Witch ones you in fine use, why, how...
Wishing you Verity sounds! :wink:

Salutations!

1 Like

So far its not looking good. My pedals and boss software cant be used with linux. Im still working on the problem.

There's a howto about installing iTunes via Wine, maybe you find tips to make it working here, like the installing the gdiplus via winetricks and the tip after this entry where shows how to see if you have a missing DLL dependency:

Many thanks. The software which comes with the pedals is specific to the pedals and they have only made it available on Mac and Windows. It allows you to change parameters and add and remove features as well as download updates. Without it your stuck with what's in the pedal.

Bit late in the fray here (but then I don't have any audio/midi hardware to test with) but I cam across this:

Which looks promising but also a handful to get properly working.
So you might want to wait out if this gets added to Elive in the near future .... which again might take a while. :thinking:

So, in the mean time you might give it a try yourself given enough free time. :innocent:

2 Likes

It seems that it is possible to get some things working some of time. In reality it means you dont really have access to the most productive and useful parts of the best software. Its a kind of make do situation which is hopeless when you have got an amazing piece of kit that is only half useable.

Well, in this case the usability seems to be down to availability of software, not so much the hardware itself.
That will always be an issue .... think about it:
If there's something useful that lots of people want, it can be provided for a small sum or even reverse engineered for free. It's a matter of numbers.
Now if there's a utility that's only attractive to very few .... it'll be expensive in every sense (small market) and very little demand for reverse engineering or emulating : Meaning it requires luck or someone scratching a very personal itch.

The only way out of that conundrum, other than throwing money at it by buying, is by trying out what's on offer ... test it ... report bugs ... i.e helping out (and giving support) to those trying to achieve that. Even just saying "Thank you for the effort." is worth a lot for those who do so.

You just cannot expect a community of volunteers and enthusiasts to not be lagging behind commercial offerings ... that's the price to be paid.

Yes and maybe it's already been done (but just not yet on Elive). I'd take a look at "avlinux" which has 'yabridge' pre-installed i.e downloading and running it in live mode to see if their enhancements work for you ... since you're apparently the only one here that has that equipment.

If so it wouldn't/shouldn't be impossible to add those extras to Elive, either as an option or by default.

Check the video there for some tips.

1 Like

Can confirm that yabridge works well on Debian Bookworm, so by extension, Elive. I don't use Ableton software though.

2 Likes

Hi!

Good find!
And Enlightenment-ed!

Hip! :slight_smile:

My comment wasn't a criticism. My Boss pedal simply isn't compatible with any Linux option. Its not designed to work with a DAW either its got its own software for adding and updating and setting foot switches etc. If I want it to work as designed it only works on Mac or Windows. Otherwise Im limited to setting limited adjustments on the pedal. As for using a keyboard and a DAW software in Linux there is an issue which has nothing to do with Linux.
Its me. Everyone on this site assumes that people like me have some knowledge of Linux. I have zero, none, nather...... If I turn on my computer and it has an issue I cant solve it without help. Getting help isn't easy either because I dont understand a single word you guys are saying when you talk computers. Trying to explain Linux to me is trying to teach a 2 month old chess.

I didn't take it as such, rest assured.

That doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

On a Linux machine, all the hardware is identified by the kernel, if the connection is through USB chances are high it'll be recognized.
If the kernel sees it, then it can be used if it doesn't, well then it doesn't. :innocent:
Whether there's software available for that device is a whole other story...that was what my post was about. I didn't intend to be harsh or judging.

That's where 'wine' and maybe 'yabridge' come in, adding a 'Windows' layer that translates that hardware access for Win software....a 'bridge' if you will. :smile:
Hence, to avoid installation troubles I advised downloading 'avlinux' and running it in 'live mode'. It uses a multimedia oriented kernel and both 'wine' and 'yabridge' are pre-installed, hopefully in an effective manner.

• Ultimately,
    In that live-session you can try installing your win-software (just run the 'setup.exe' or such) with 'wine' and see what does for you.

• But,
    Maybe you wont even need the win-software and there's Linux-SW available for your device on 'avlinux'...you wont know without trying.

A quick search on the net actually is very hope giving. From what I see Ableton will run fine on a Linux machine.
There's even a script available to do all the work:

or this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/zcs4gj/ableton_live_1126_64bit_runs_flawlessly_on_linux/

Me personally, I never install 'wine'. Mainly because I feel that bowing down to 'win-only' software is defeat in itself. :frowning:

1 Like

What's a Kernal. Ive tried 8 times to load Wine. I cant find it or get anything to use it. I only use my computer to adjust my images for the Gallery. So I turn it on once a month.
Ive struggled for over a year to learn so now I keep it simple.

I found the transcript a while ago. I spent two whole days trying to get it all to work. But when you have absolutely no idea what your doing its impossible. Let me tell you why. People who have computer knowledge know stuff they take for granted. So when you explain how to do something you leave out the simplest instructions because they are obvious a child even knows these things. Thats the problem. Someone like me knows nothing so if you leave out even one tiny instruction I cant get it to work. I then spend ridiculous amounts of time redoing things and trying to figure out why its not working. Its exhausting getting knowhere.

Well, forcing Windows software to work on Linux is never a simple task...and you did ask. :innocent:

The kernel is the system core around which all the software is built or interfaces with.

Then 'wine' isn't installed probably. Check this with the following command in a terminal:
dpl |grep wine . If there's no output: ... install it with api wine in the terminal (you cannot break anything with that command. If 'wine' is there you'll be informed).... but like I said: First have a gander whether the hardware is usable without 'wine'. Apparently there are different versions out there, it's fraught with pitfalls .... makes me feel sullied.

• If it's only about having the Ableton software suite, I'm not the adequate person to answer.

Let me put it this way:
IMO if hardware is only accessible or usable through dedicated (closed win-)software, it's very probably shitty quality, hiding hardware flaws behind the software. Like the Boeing planes that nose-dive immediately if the software hangs. :astonished:

Again: See what a multimedia oriented distro like 'avlinux' can do for you.