Task manager and organizer collaborative tool (ASANA)

As said, I'm going to create an Asana environment, this thread is about to discuss ideas / suggestions / improvements / needs etc...

I will need a list of the people who is going to collaborate / use it, not for a small volunteering (which can be perfectly done from here) but more like active ones (the tool is limited to 30 users, which is not an important limitation for now)

I wanted to discuss also about the "Projects" and "Tags", I tend to confuse them and I don't think it is easy to define it, for example a tag should be the most used one (tag it as "important", as "website", as "translations", as "e17"... etc) which makes easy to find "everything related to that tag". Projects instead is more like a group of specific tasks for it, a specific topic, and will feature specific things like milestones, progress, etc...

Which "Projects" should be defined on it ?

"HowTo Manuals", definitely. With tags X64, X32, Live, Installation, Apps.

Copy over existing HowTos from here on the forum maybe.?

mmh, nah, that site is more like a task manager / project organizer, not related to end users or documentation

Yeah, but a lot of the docs here on the forum could/should be revised and if helpful globally, added to the main site.

PR so to say,
means: collect the features, name it, explain it and so on.
It should be the root for official wordings and announcements later.
( The journalism people will create their own testing setup and will not just copy&paste descriptions from the Elive site)

Therefore we will need a draft about what we want to show / they should put their focus on.

Present, at least as much as I can

I think is the first thing to work together

@triantares
@maxinou
@yoda
mhm, may be that
@Thanatermesis. Too? :smiley14:

1 Like

mmh ok i think that we are talking about a different thing (not sure what in fact lol), but if we are talking about the quality of hte documents (howtos for example) of the forum, they are editable so others can improve them, howto's are set as wiki's type so there should be an "Edit" button on them. For other things, we will need a specific and practical tool that can fit the needs

mmmh, we would need a better and more specific tool for this, like a wiki probably, but then the issue is that when inserting the contents back to the website, they are entirely different because the website includes website codes (shortcodes, plugins, etc...) not so easy as simple words :thinking: i dont know yet a good way to do this

note that Asana is more like a task manager and organizer and scheduler too, with some good features

suggestions for a tool where we can edit / improve the wording and words used ? (in a new specific thread probably)

Invitations sent via email

The workplace is set up minimally, there's no tasks yet (you can create them), the section "Issues" is for bugs specifically and it works by default more like in Trello (@yoda will like that). I have added a few main projects (topics) and we can add tags to the tasks which can improve their searchability and "topics" later

I have also many other old tasks in an old asana (probably 10 years old), but they are massive so i created a new work environment and I will check them from time to time to import the important ones, so there's too much old / deprecated ones that should be closed instead

Notes: we should not use attachments (i have just seen in my notifications that @yoda tested them), just because there's a limit of 100Mb for the free account which is very small (will fit fast) and so we will need to use simple links instead

If notitications are too annoying (they was for me), turn them the not-wanted ones in your settings (specifically the activity updates checkboxes)

If you have questions about how to use it, see the asana docs or just ask in google hte specific asana question (you should end to the article), but you can also just try it (better in your own projects / users to avoid unwanted notifications, except for the Demo tasks that will be deleted in some days)

There's also very useful phone apps:

OR web, of course: https://app.asana.com/

Suggestion: add an avatar profile image :slight_smile:

finally: I was using asana for probably 10 years and it has been the best and useful (practical) tool that i had to organize all the work, even if i never used the "attachments" it always fit all the needs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was thinking more along the line of:
1 Create a collection of those Howto's that are valuable and will be valid over a long period of time.
2 Do the same for version specific HowTos i.e Stable and Beta.Maybe more tags?
3 Get general consensus on validity and quality of those Howtos
4 Get translations done. We've got English, French, Spanish and Dutch already available in the current group.
5 Make public (as PDF?) on a dedicated part of the website.
6 Add as offline content in Elive (/usr/share/docs?)

I think "git" and "github" is actually very apt for collaborating on documents. I haven't had time yet but I'm planning to hack a short "quick reference" on how I set mine up. It took me half a Saturday of research and "trial and error" to get going properly........ so maybe I can make life easier for the others.

The github web interface has the same shortcomings most collaboration sites (like Trello and prolly Asana) have IMO: Too simplified and locked down but the CML access through "ssh" makes up for that. :vulcan_salute:

for that, the best tool is this forum:

• collaborative, handy to write, markdown, etc
  • voting system
  • we* are all of us on it

sounds good :slight_smile:

instead of consensus im more like in the favor of "just improve it" :slight_smile: this includes less bureaucracy, faster results, and will include the howtos at "their best point reached"

well, all its managed from eltrans and so in the same way, they will be available automatically from the work involved on each one

yes, if it can be generated automatically

hum, not really, it requires much more "hand work", instead of an online doc editor realtime collaborative that tracks changes, history and users (similar to google docs), for documents is much better something like google docs or an etherpad website. Etherpad is nice, google docs maybe is more stable and better for a generic users' documentation, supports history (probably), multiuser realtime editing, dictation, even translations, and correction spells

git is nice but specially for source codes

Google docs is very stable, my children and me use it extensively when they've got a thesis or whatever to write for University.
In the Elive case: There will have to be someone appointed to keep the original/master and or final paper.
The same goes for the Howtos on the forum. Someone will need to be "patron"

True, but I've setup the "Elive Manuals" as a so called "Template" which allows for easier collaboration.

Understood... I'm sorry, I was only testing the Android app.... :innocent:[quote="triantares, post:10, topic:1374"]
I was thinking more along the line of:
1 Create a collection of those Howto's that are valuable and will be valid over a long period of time.
2 Do the same for version specific HowTos i.e Stable and Beta.Maybe more tags?
3 Get general consensus on validity and quality of those Howtos
4 Get translations done. We've got English, French, Spanish and Dutch already available in the current group.
5 Make public (as PDF?) on a dedicated part of the website.
6 Add as offline content in Elive (/usr/share/docs?)

Thanatermesis:
[/quote]

Yep, I think is the best way to organise in a coherent way

BTW, I tried to join eltrans when I installed 3.0.3 and system says that someone must open an account (or a password, I didn't remember) associate to my e-mail as a previous step to translate, but I'd never received that password.... maybe an issue from eltrans?

If not, I'm exploring asana before to work to avoid broke something.... :eyes:

I replied to @maxinou on ASANA

My reply it's basically about :

how to we structure all that on ASANA ( 3 project s? one to filter TASKS (thread from forums), one project that is the official TASKS list ?

I suggest we list the task we think need to be done into Imported TAsks from FOrum
once we agree on the work, we move it to Approved Tasks ?

I am just tryint to speed things up in ASANA

I suggest we use Asana like this
If you don't like it, I won't be offended
And we moved Task to the other project once the task is clean and approve by MOST of us

Hi!

nVidia n'CUDA! I prefer Optimus as an option but CUDA should be very usefull as graphic & extra power!

Choose 2 default themes & main one & SILENT one! ;-p

Easy way to shutdown &co: via preconfig icon in Cairo?

Ih!

Well, actually I doesn't know the better way to work into ASANA because I'm discovering how it works....

Yes, I think is a good way, what I meant was to groupe all "task" dispersed everywhere into the forum to make a list into ASANA, after that the task choices will become "projects" (sorry if I write a stupidity because I doesn't still know how ASANA made priorities / levels between tasks - projects and other)

NO according to @Thanatermesis we'll use project just for very very special project

Else they will remain Tasks.... And tasks can have subtasks and discussion within

I suggest :

Project one object ( whatever the name) with all the tasks taken from the forum

Project object 2 : we move approved tasks (from Project one object) within this object

1 Like

I must read the ASANA help to better understand how it assign the levels....