Which web browser do you prefer in Elive?

that’s not a personality disorder. that’s a hacker special power. LOL

For me:

• firefox:
    • good: less ram usage than chrome, specially with multiple tabs opened
    • bad: too slow to be considered an alternative
  • chrome:
    • good: fast
    • bad: consumes too much ram
  • opera:
    • good: fast
    • bad: they dropped the 32-bit support, so no more releases (and its not opensource), open source derivates of opera?

I think that I have read somewhere that chrome uses (switched to) the same engine as opera, this could explain why its a fast alternative

This old post in facebook by Elive can help to see the RAM usage:

2 Likes

I’ve got to say that Palemoon is my current favorite. Before Firefox switched to Web Extensions, I enjoyed one particular AddOn - Tile Tabs. The current Tile Tabs implementation under Web Extensions doesn’t come close to what is was prior. For that reason, and that alone, I’m constantly on Palemoon.

When you have a web app that you are monitoring and want to continue browsing, with Tile Tabs you can do both simultaneously. I hope that one day Web Extensions will allow the old Tile Tabs to function as it did. But, if it never does, I have Palemoon to console me.

2 Likes

I will voice support for Firefox (Quantum & Focus on mobile) and Tor browser. As a default, then FFQ would have to get my vote.

1 Like

Firefox or Google Chrome is good for me.

Seems like it's based in Opera (or at least made by some of their devs) and it has a version in 32bit, that is very interesting for Elive 3.0 ! (sounds like an updated opera)

OMG there's everyday more browsers! what about making an Elive browser? Ebrowser lol

1 Like

In chromium/chrome browser you can cease the ram usage many ways. The most important is managing the tabs. Either you can install xtab and reduce the amount of tabs to 1 or you can use The Great Suspender and have tabs inactive when not opened.

Midori, Netsurf or some other opensource browser I like the most (against profiling). My hope is that Elive would not abandon old computers support. The most wow efect comes when you find an Os that makes these usable. I’m now installed Elive Os to Compaq Armada 1700 and if I could get sound and resolution to work I would probably vote this to be the best wow Os for old computers (have used maybe 10 different linux distros).I hate 64bit flow. So much electronic waste comes because people can’t find anymore GOOD updated Oses to old pcs and are forced to buy new.

2 Likes

you probably reported about these problems in a different post i guess, may you send me the link to it so i could try to help?

I forgot to ask (as it seems that I’m unable to update to Elive 3) which is the most updated browser for Elive 2.0 Topaz? I would really like to be able to use the internet but it seems iceweasel won’t show many buttons or menus etc. Are there plugins for it to make it work better? Or have people some greasemonkey addon scripts?

@Elivish I don't think that is possible to install in 2.0 other browser than the ones included (or available via apt-get, search which ones you have), this version of Elive is 11 years old

@vesteve58 There's a well debate about browsers, with mentions about "brave browser"

Some of you should know TAILS. A Linux live distribution, recommended from Edward Snowden because of its highly secure environment. Just start at any PC with internet connection and communicate though the relative anonymous Tor Network.
If anyone ever used Tor, he/she could ask 'why would I need to communicate over a network, less fast than snailmail? ... But it is some kind of secure. More secure than your parents PC with the newest codec/flash/adobe-installer from $service_with_changed_installer_to_provide_more ad(ware)s.

But all together is TAILS not very different from Elive. It is a Live system. It is small and fast. It could run on limited/legacy hardware.
Has anyone tried the Tor browser in Elive? If I need the Tor browser (to -ehm- buy -hmm- things. you know?), I start up my (every time) outdated TAILS. The TOR browser in a maybe compromised system (already infected with spyware/adware/malware) makes no sense.
But in Elive, which is such customized (and ..sorry for that.. outdated), it could make sense.

That's right @LupusE, since Elive is encrypted (included swap), both Live or Install modes are perfectly secured, the only exception in Elive is that it doesn't "erase" the ram on shutdown, but this is more like a paraonid feature if you are a government spy or something similar lol (or just run the memtest tool to erase it)

The next versions 3.7.x will have updated browsers (already tested :)), and could be much easier to try and implement Tor, maybe could be a good option to include it in the menus as an option, but I don't know how much things needs to be changed in order to use it (it is just a browser plugin? requires a special browser? requires special packages? requires important modifications in the OS?, etc)

So, betatestings and feedbacks are welcome :slight_smile: we should start a #get-involved:suggest thread for this ?

1 Like

I have always downloaded the Tor browser and have it running from it's own folder. Works without a hitch on 303 and upgrades when necessary

One could easily add the tor bundle in /opt and optionally create a link to the executable and the icon there. The bundle brings along its own dependencies so actually no other coding required than simply adding the /opt/tor-browser/ directory.
Piece of cake. :smiley14:

1 Like

Hi @Thanatermesis, thanks for your Feedback.

The TOR Browser is not just another browser or an addon/Extension. The TOR Browser looks similar to Firefox, but is a complete own ecosystem. I am using the TAILS distribution, I have never installed the TOR Browser standalone (except on a testing android mobile).
Start Elive - Start Onion service - Start browsing.
The Onion Service or Network is, simple spoken, a network of plenty proxy. Every request will go through different routes. You don't know if your endpoint will be in Italy, Canada, Germany or any other country with free Internet.

Within the Tor browser you could open your Facebook. But this won't make sense, because you'd like to be pseudo-anonym to posting public your holiday pictures?
The connection could be fast but also could be incredible slow (the older here will remember a download of a 3 mb mp3 via dialup modem).

I think it could be useful to use the TOR Browser/Onion Network in a hotel or airport network.
Or it could be a fun project.

Hum, so maybe what we need for now is a #howtos about how to install & use it ? :slight_smile:

Easy!
Go to Tor Project | Download and chose the OS version you want.......download and unpack the directory (where ever you want) and double click on on the icon in that folder.
Hey presto!! :smiley14: Tor browser starts and creates a connection over The Onion Network.
No need to specifically start a service or not.
Anybody familiar with FF should feel right at home.
How hard can it be. :blush:

For more install info: Tor Project | Download

1 Like

There are ways to manipulate the browser and which (especially exit) nodes are used and thus the speed as well but that would be beyond the scope of this thread.

BTW did you have see the opening scene of the first chapter of Mr. Robot ? It said something like:

Tor is secure, everything is hidden and controlled by the nodes, and since I'm in charge of some nodes, I'm the one in control

(explaining how he hacked the guy that used Tor)

:offtopic:

1 Like

Yes, but that would require simultaneous control of the entry- and exit-node. For now that requires quite a lot of resources or for it to be an "inside job". Best would be for as many people as possible to run their own nodes and make the node forest as dense as possible. :dizzy_face:

Maybe an idea for Elive as a built-in option.....to aid those that are stuck in restrictive and over controlling regimes, to safely get their message out or just to keep oneself out of the corporate clutches of Facebook, Google and the likes.
In the old days life was easier: Only MicroSoft was evil. :wink:

In regard to Tails use for security: I strongly prefer the route QubesOS takes....but frankly don't find KDE any fun. So still squinting at getting Elive running in a similar fashion. :coding:

Hum, that's pretty interesting

Monetary based system is the evil of all these causes heh (including any political flavour that requires money)

Well, we are talking about -specific- fashions, I don't think that is good to turn Elive into a such specific purpose (more exactly: it should be a different project IMHO, but based in Elive :slight_smile: ), some features like allowing to use VPN (or alternatives) in restricted countries can be a good option but such specific purpose would turn Elive in a totally different behaviour, hum

BTW 3.7.x will come with all the new network-manager plugins (many vpn plugins, etc), which I personally don't know what are all of them about lol

1 Like