3.7.3 betatesting experiences

That is very bad! Worse than mine

mountains, no phone lines :slight_smile: lol

your problem is very strange, i did many tests with even 500mb of ram and sucessfull, no slowness at all

but sounds like the cause is swapping, did you tried without enabling swaps?

im wondering if you have a hard disk problem or similar, but there was a problem with the swapfiles (the ones created in the installer, make sure that they are not included anymore) and was fixed (so, the one created before the desktop starts), but again, try without swaps at all, you should have enough with 1gb of ram :thinking:

Agreed, the other stuff is USELESS at all and
bring us not any forward aside from unnecessary distraction :mwahaha:

maybe it's not a bad idea. Thouhgt i would let e17 be available it's still looking gorgeus (despite missing ecomorph).
Getting rid of e22 is not a bad idea, i mean: to get the default e22 an user could just install it by himself, like any other desktop environment.

I had no issues, 6 MB/s while downloading gta V at the same time.

It highly depends on where you live. Any cheap internet Subscription in here provides at least 100 Mbit/s! It would be about 5 to 6 minutes to download elive. In milan the same Subscription:

1 GB it's not enough without swap? That's weird.

oh ok so it wasn't just me

1 Like

Even all other applications need long to start (much longer than with another Distro on same PC)
Why?

I just installed it and boot it when I tried @Thanatermesis
THis morning, I just tried it again and it's ok, even with COMPOSITE on

That small laptop was never a rocket, but it work well, encrypted and composite on. And if brough on the road, DATA will be safe is stolen.

Hello!

About E22, it's for me an evidence to let it testable!
If there's some trick to deal with it it's actually normal! We are here for testing; there's absolutely no complain about "things not going well", it's only indications... Surely E16 is very nice, E17 too, it's very well that some prefer E16 or E17...
For the problem with sound keys on the eeepc, I run back to E16, with the same result... (have to find manual settings for that)

sudo swapoff -a seems going well on eeepc 1001xp 2Gb ram E16 Conky tells with Chromium (7 tabs with a running video), LbreOffice, Termininal:
Memory about 1.3Gb/1.94, CPU usage chromium 15-30%, pulseaudio ~2%, Xorg 1.5-2%...

Relaunch this same setup with E22...

Salutations!

yes but:

• no ecomorph
  • most of the times enters in loops that consumes your cpu at 100% (even if you don't notice and it "continue" working)
  • no systray working (cannot use the minimized bg apps, like the network manager)
  • some menus and windows "dissappear" due to the composite layer (resize chrome = dissappears)

so these points leaves a bad taste of "unusability", even if looks gorgeous :neutral_face:

1 Like

not in my machines

I need more info:

• which applications?
  • verify that is not caused by the swap (sudo swapoff -a)
  • its only in live mode or also in installed mode?
  • happens in e22 too?

can you verify that it has the same video-playing performance with 3.0.6 ? (you can do it in live mode), in other words, this version should play any video -good-, but the newer versions should play video -even-better-, if is not the case, we have an issue somewhere :slight_smile:

@Thanatermesis, I would like, for testing purpose, install cairo again, now that you tuned it, on my Desktop brand new new installation

I missed the checkbox that was offering to install it during install and I want to install it properly.

Is there a way to make that window popup again ? The one asking for conky and cairo ?

DOn't want to reinstall my Desktop LOL

can do:

apug
killall cairo-dock
elive-skel upgrade .config/cairo-dock
cairo-dock &

• apug
  • close apps
  • create a new e16 config (suggested since includes new customizations): Menu -> Settings -> Restart desktop configurations

well, that will be more complex then lol, but try to add it (cairo-dock) in your .e16/startup-applications.list

What about not removing E17/E22 and just leave the messages looking this way (with caps)?

I meant reinstall the PC LOL Not the Desktop, sorry for confusion

1 Like

I like it Perfect

Hi!

So: same conditions but with E22: eeepc 1001xp swapoff -a, Chromium 7 tabs with one running video, LibreOffice, Treminology, Conky tells: Memory 1.42Gb/1.94, CPU chromium around 25%, enlightenment around 25% too, Xorg near 14% (all 3 seems more regular than under E16 (less up/down)..?)

Seems a bit strange if it goes better without swap, even on low memory machine..! Very impressive are (again) your optimizations!

:slight_smile:

Does your method need it to be installed ?
I am asking that because of those 2 commands

killall cairo-dock
elive-skel upgrade .config/cairo-dock

It's not already installed so...

SO I Restart my Desktop configuration after doing all the command and :

Elive_Screenshot_2019-05-29_09%3A16%3A59__552x297

Option to install Cairo was not there...
I clicked Conky and it didn't show up on my screen..,.. May be because of MultiScreen

which applications?
Xchat, Chromium LibreOffice

verify that is not caused by the swap
0/0

its only in live mode or also in installed mode
am on installed system of course

happens in e22 too?
I don't care , don't have e22

you should repeat these steps but having installed cairo-dock before too, follow first the steps by @Rebel450: E16 will need a dock bar?

which desktop? it will be normal this slowness if you are in e17